DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Glad it worked out for you

So, good to go u til July 7?

If so, I’m even more confused now & need to go back & reread sticky lol
Just in the past few days it has become apparent that those with an AP, who have a trip starting after May 20th, are told their DAS is valid for 30 days from first park day. This is different than what those who registered in the past month (since the announcement) were told and does not appear to align with the WDW website. I'll make a new note in the sticky - thanks for that reminder.

I should have asked while I was in chat with CM but forgot….I have the 2 pre-selected choices for each day scheduled already so when I do arrive at park do I need to use the 2 DAS selections first before requesting another selection that would be before times for the pre-selected or can I modify time of my pre-selected choices?

You and are are twins LOL

Just finished. Logged in at 7 a.m., first park day June 9. Pre-selected attractions with cast member and told my DAS was good for 30 days after June 9. Finished at 7:15, non-developmental disability, AP holder (active). BTW, CM could not have been sweeter! I travel solo so my anxiety level was high.

Don't know what this will look like for my trip in September but am relieved for June, at least.
I agree. Mine was super sweet. One thing I did notice was after I told her what I needed, she said something like, "...based on what you've told me, you qualify for this service currently." She added the currently almost as an afterthought probably because of the changes coming. We've had this trip planned for a year so I'm thrilled to get it at least one more time.

I should have asked while I was in chat with CM but forgot….I have the 2 pre-selected choices for each day scheduled already so when I do arrive at park do I need to use the 2 DAS selections first before requesting another selection that would be before times for the pre-selected or can I modify time of my pre-selected choices?
No to both questions

The DAS Advance Selections (preselected attractions) are not connected to DAS Return Times you get in the park on your day of visit.
They don’t need to be used before making and using DAS Return Times - they don’t actually have to be used at all.
If you don’t use them, they will expire sometime after their 1 hour window. You can’t modify the time - if they don’t work out, just let them expire. They won’t affect anything

I agree. Mine was super sweet. One thing I did notice was after I told her what I needed, she said something like, "...based on what you've told me, you qualify for this service currently." She added the currently almost as an afterthought probably because of the changes coming. We've had this trip planned for a year so I'm thrilled to get it at least one more time.
Interesting that the CM added that. I’m just trying not to think too far into the future… my next trip is in September so there is lots of time for me to see how the changes are implemented.

I’m so very grateful that this trip is DAS approved. I try to remember what my dear dad, may he rest in peace, used to say, “you have to roll with the punches” so I’m just focusing on one trip at a time.

I never actually said Disney has to provide a cooling vest. I said they need to accommodate. That might look like a cooling vest and it might not.
I think there is a missing point here. Disney is not required to provide an accommodation to someone simply to exist in their parks. Entrances have to accommodate wheelchairs that people bring or rent, but wheelchairs don't have to be provided. A cooling vest would not only be needed to wait in a line, many indoors, and so Disney would not have to provide them or even make them available for rent or purchase. Even for people with autism, if noise is a trigger, Disney doesn't provide noise canceling headphones because noise is not just in the queues.

My family member was able to qualify for a 30 day DAS pass. Previously, was denied. Moving forward, the cast member stated we would have different accommodations based on party size and need .

It honestly made our last two visits very special and fun. Normally we ride one ride and that's it, if that. This last visit we were able ride 2 rides, watch a parade, and enjoy the normal festivities.

I’m a bit confused - the changes go into effect May 20th, meaning that’s when we might find out more about who may not qualify? For those with trips after May 20th, but within the 30 day booking period by then are still getting approved under the old rules, correct?

I’m a bit confused - the changes go into effect May 20th, meaning that’s when we might find out more about who may not qualify? For those with trips after May 20th, but within the 30 day booking period by then are still getting approved under the old rules, correct?
Those who are within their 30-day pre-registration window are getting registered based on the “old” rules. However, they may find some changes such as length DAS is valid, presumably the 10-minute delay will be in place as of 5/20, possibly how many may join the DAS-holder for a given ride, etc.

The new DAS qualification rules and alternative accommodations will be in effect for those who register for DAS on or after May 20th.

Follow-up from my previous post because this was a big surprise to me.

My SIL who registered the other day and was told nothing about party sizes or any other changes to the rules reached out today to get details. She was informed she had been given an exception to the 6 person party size, and was allowed to book all 8 people on her trip in late June at a time. Which is not something she had discussed or asked for on her call.

That seemed very surprising to me. Both the party size being at 6 as a standard rather than 4, and the fact that she was given an exception without so much as discussing it.

We registered for DAS for a trip 5/26 at Disneyland and qualified for this trip.
The cast member did state that in the future we likely won’t, as they are trying to draw a hard line in the sand between an adult/someone fully cognizant of what a theme park entails vs those who don’t understand.
She mentioned leaving the line, or waiting outside the line while the rest of the party stays in the line, as well as using coping mechanisms.

My SIL who registered the other day and was told nothing about party sizes or any other changes to the rules reached out today to get details. She was informed she had been given an exception to the 6 person party size, and was allowed to book all 8 people on her trip in late June at a time. Which is not something she had discussed or asked for on her call.

That seemed very surprising to me. Both the party size being at 6 as a standard rather than 4, and the fact that she was given an exception without so much as discussing it.
She would have been registered under the old rules, which includes 6 people as the total linked to DAS.
I'm not sure why the CM made the exception - they do ask who you are traveling with. So, if your SIL listed them all, the CM might have put them all. The CM can see some things in the My Disney Experience account, so may have seen them there

Could you please go over again who is the party of 6 and 8? Minor children, etc

We registered for DAS for a trip 5/26 at Disneyland and qualified for this trip.
The cast member did state that in the future we likely won’t, as they are trying to draw a hard line in the sand between an adult/someone fully cognizant of what a theme park entails vs those who don’t understand.
She mentioned leaving the line, or waiting outside the line while the rest of the party stays in the line, as well as using coping mechanisms.
That wording is alarming and very discriminatory.

Like “since you understand how a line works, it doesn’t matter if you can’t tolerate standing in one due to your disability”

Hilarious if they think I haven’t been using coping mechanisms all this time just to be able to get through their lightning lanes.

Disneyland (the California parks) will transition to the new rules about a month behind WDW, so it currently isn't anywhere near the cut-off for qualifying under old rules. At this point, I wouldn't take a DL CM at their word as gospel since I'm not sure the training has rolled out there yet (we're still getting reports of incorrect info from WDW CMs). Plus that sounds more like a hearsay statement than any official wording of the policy.

Disneyland (the California parks) will transition to the new rules about a month behind WDW, so it currently isn't anywhere near the cut-off for qualifying under old rules. At this point, I wouldn't take a DL CM at their word as gospel since I'm not sure the training has rolled out there yet (we're still getting reports of incorrect info from WDW CMs). Plus that sounds more like a hearsay statement than any official wording of the policy.
Plus, everything I've seen says that DAS registration and administration is currently under the Guest Relations Department.
After the new program rolls out, it will be under a new Accessibility Services Department.
Many of the CMs people have reported getting info from are just 'regular' CMs and probably may not know much more than we do

Plus, everything I've seen says that DAS registration and administration is currently under the Guest Relations Department.
After the new program rolls out, it will be under a new Accessibility Services Department.
Many of the CMs people have reported getting info from are just 'regular' CMs and probably may not know much more than we do
Right? I wish they would be required to stick to stating they can’t share any additional information until the new program starts.

Avoids panic and incorrect information being shared. I’m sure the CM was trying to be helpful but as you explained, they likely won’t be involved in the new program at all so it’s unlikely they know any more than us and are just making a guess at how it will operate.

Yes, they will be trying to limit who receives DAS but I really can’t see them telling someone they can’t use DAS simply because they comprehend how a queue works in a theme park. Understanding how a line works and why it exists doesn’t magically make it possible for someone to tolerate being in one.

That wording is alarming and very discriminatory.

Like “since you understand how a line works, it doesn’t matter if you can’t tolerate standing in one due to your disability”

Hilarious if they think I haven’t been using coping mechanisms all this time just to be able to get through their lightning
Right? I wish they would be required to stick to stating they can’t share any additional information until the new program starts.

Avoids panic and incorrect information being shared. I’m sure the CM was trying to be helpful but as you explained, they likely won’t be involved in the new program at all so it’s unlikely they know any more than us and are just making a guess at how it will operate.

Yes, they will be trying to limit who receives DAS but I really can’t see them telling someone they can’t use DAS simply because they comprehend how a queue works in a theme park. Understanding how a line works and why it exists doesn’t magically make it possible for someone to tolerate being in one.
Yes. I am hoping since we are so far out from the official change it’s not correct information. I don’t understand how people can easily leave and rejoin a line without issue. And suddenly families are expected to be split up for their vacation.

I wouldn’t rely on anything anybody is told before the change (unless it’s officially a Disney announcement)— but the general gist seemed consistent with what we have been hearing — for many parties Disney wants to get at least some members of the party back in the regular line (out of LL) but there may be options for leaving the line, meeting up later, rider switch, etc., not that no accommodation would be provided.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter