DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I happened to see Disney is hiring for a litigator familiar with the ADA— I think they expect that they will be challenged by both legitimate and fraudulent beneficiaries of the current system in the not too distant future.
I would hope a lawyer from Disability Rights Florida would review the new system too.

I suspect Disney already has a lawyer (or 2 or 3) who "specialize" in ADA who have been involved already. The new position may be hiring for someone whose primary responsibility will focus on anticipated litigation so as not to pull their other counsel away from broader responsibilities within the organization.

It appears to me that there are 2 different accommodations -- the (probably more common) Ride Accessibility Program or RAP, and then the PA park offers a "Special Access Pass" or SAP which is the one limited to 6 dry rides and 3 water rides. The CA park appears to only offer RAP, though it's possible they simply don't advertise the SAP.

The RAP sounds to be similar to the old paper DAS in that you go to the ride entrance and obtain a boarding time. In the CA parks it appears this is only offered at 6 attractions; with others referred to as "smaller attractions." Not being familiar with either park, it's possible those are the only attractions with longer waits -- thus the limit on the SAP in PA.

The SAP provides "priority boarding" which sounds like FOTL. The limit is 6 actual rides (not attractions), which can include the same attraction up to 2 times. It is likely they can limit the number of rides because this is "special access" and not the standard RAP.

The last time I looked at the Sesame Place Phila program, it was listed as the RAP. It appears that SAP is a different level of accommodation.

I do find it very interesting that Sesame Place does not utilize the IBCCES card, though Sea World does and I believe they are related companies.
I think you touched on the Key for Sesame PA park. We are season pass holders for Sesame Place (they actually offer free season passes to Teachers, so my wife and I both get ours, and then we get one of our boys their upper level pass and bring his brother with us on that pass). The water rides in the summer typically will have long waits, but the actual rides, honestly don't have long waits at all. I'd say maybe 20-25 minutes is the longest i've ever waited for one of their attractions, and thats on a Saturday in the summer. We also go during the week at times and rarely encounter waits for most of the attractions. Maybe we've just been lucky in the 15-20 times we've gone, but overall waits there are very manageable. They do offer a "fastpass type option" (which costs $70 this year per person) but we've never used it. I would say if we are at an attraction, we maybe see 1-2 families in the skip the line queue and that is being generous on some rides. The character meet and greet lines are typically the longest waits, and they typically do not have skip the line features or access for those with disabilities from what I can tell/have seen.

I thought that because when we researched going there the main thing that I took away from their website was that it was sensory friendly.

That would be because of the CAC designation. It was the first theme park to receive that. Several others have since followed suit. As the first I think it really pushed those "autism-friendly" aspects.

Morgan's Wonderland in TX is the only theme park I know of which was designed specifically for children with special needs and accessibility.

Something I just thought of that may be part of a larger picture - or may not at all - and with sincere apologies if this falls into “speculative” territory…

Not long ago - I want to say starting with Wine & Dine race weekend, so last Nov.? - runDisney changed its policy for Athletes With Disabilities (AWD). Previously AWDs were allowed to start behind the elite runners, but ahead of most of the rest of the field (the field being well over 10K runners, sometimes over 20K, to give you a sense of size). This allowed some extra time and space to AWDs who use assistive devices, service dogs, human guides, and/or who needed a more open space in which to wait (think “autism or similar”) ahead of the race start. RunDisney got rid of that accommodation and AWDs now start with the masses in whatever corral matches their running pace. It’s not gone particularly well for many AWDs, and some have decided they just can’t do the runDisney races anymore. The safety concerns for those who run with canine or human guides especially have been problematic and shared with runDisney, but the organization remains committed so far to not offering that accommodation anymore.

I don’t share this to alarm anyone, and I still really believe that Disney is going to offer appropriate accommodations in whatever system replaces DAS for the parks. But when added to the talk of a new ADA lawyer being added, it does make me think Disney has been putting together a real revamp across the board.

Given my past experience with runDisney’s doings, though, it’s also entirely possible there’s no connection at all and rD went rogue on this. :rolleyes:

Without minor kids, that may be what's coming. I only mentioned what I did b/c of Disney not letting anyone change DAS parties themselves and having to go back through full reg. Why do that, unless you are looking at 4 as a Max and not a "permitted for all"...

That immediate family original wording may have been pointing right at this issue.
I have not seen anything that says people who want to change their DAS party needing to go back thru the whole registration.
People NEVER have been able to change members of their DAS parties themselves before, so it's not a change to say it needs to be done by Disney.
Previously, guests could change/add guests to DAS by using the DAS chat on the Disney website OR at a park with Guest Relations of the Guest Experience umbrellas.

Going forward, changes will not be able to be made in the parks; it will only be available thru Accessibility Services. I'm pretty sure this is aimed primarily at the guests who were using DAS for 'commercial' purposes - like people using DAS as 'tour guides' and some influencers
Reminds me of the issues we had at the airline I worked for. Too many frequent flyers at the hub airports. Priority boarding didn't mean anything as half the plane had priority boarding. It led to adjustments in the benefits.

When everyone has priority, then no one has.
The point about 'when everyone has priority, then no one has' is pertinent to the discussion.
Not necessarily to current DAS changes, but it was a consideration in the change from GAC to DAS.
1) GAC had different stamps for different accommodations. One of the stamps was for 'alternate entry' . Those were the wheelchair accessible entrances, which were often the Fastpass entrance or the exit. Guests using mobility devices did not need that stamp, but many demanded it anyway when regular lines were updated and they could no longer use the exit.
At that point, the Alternative Entry stamp was meant for situations where shorter wait time in line was the need.
Unfortunately, that often led to longer waits in the alternative entrance when that was the only wheelchair accessible entrance. For example, the wait in the Small World alternative entry was often 20 to 40 minutes longer than the wait in the regular line. Before the change to DAS, the line for the alternative entry, which is the accessible entry for Small World often extended down the entire ramp and outside the building. Often there were only 3 or so mobility devices and the rest of the long line was people without one. I often heard CMs telling people that they would have a much shorter wait in the regular line, but the guests insisted they needed to use the Alternative Entrance
That was a GAC case.

Was thinking a couple of minutes ago that we'll be here discussing 5 years from now when Disney announces they're changing DAS to some other acronym.

All I can say is the company relies on money made from their parks so they had better step up. The movie division lost almost 1 billion dollars in 2023 and 2024 is not looking a lot better. The parks, on the other hand generated more than 32 billion dollars.
Hey, Disney, here's my idea, use some of the 32 billion to make the parks better without taking years to finish a project and make quality family movies again. You're welcome.
It actually was a DAS lawsuit.
The plaintiffs in the case started the lawsuit when it was announced that GAC was changing to DAS. They claimed that DAS would not work for them and they wanted Disney to continue GAC only for people with autism.
The biggest difference in GAC vs DAS was that GAC allowed immediate entry into the Fastpass or Alternate Entry (often the exit at DL). Guests using DAS are required to get a DAS Return Time roughly equal to th currently posted wait time.
Disney won the case because they were able to prove in court that allowing some guests to continue with unlimited access without waiting would severely impact park operations for all guests, including other guests with disabilities.
Maybe they should change the name completely from Disability?

25% of the US population has some type of disability and 100% of the US population prefers not waiting in lines.

Glad they are making an effort to fix this. Not easy.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/infographic-disability-impacts-all.html
The original programs for guests with disabilities were called Special Assistance Pass/Program and Guest Assistance Card.
A lot of people without disabilities rationalized that they could use them, even though they knew they were meant for disabilities which they didn't have. (i.e. people writing "I'm a guest and anyone could use assistance, so I am applying....bringing children to Disney is hard, I need assistance."

The DAS name was meant to make it clear the program was for guests with disabilities. There were a lot of comments from people at the time it changed in 2013 saying they didn't want to be thought of as disabled.
Just going by the last what 20 yrs of history - can't find when GAC program was instituted. GAC worked until it didn't and now DAS isn't working.
It's hard to say exactly when the disability programs began. I know GAC had been in existence at WDW and DL at least since the early 1990s. But the Internet was no where near the force of what it is now. Disney did not actually have any specific information on their website until DAS began in 2013.

So I agree that investing in training and equal application (for like needs) is critical and worth sparing no expense. It also involves training CMs to flag obvious cases of abuse/misuse as well as protocols for dealing with those of us who used to have DAS for 6+ and now have Rider Switch for 1-2 (I’m thinking a polite, apologetic script explaining the change and perhaps a link in the chat telling them who they can email with their complaints or refund requests)— otherwise waits are going to explode as dissatisfied former DASholders try to filibuster their way into upgrading their accommodations.

On the other hand, I do not think they should offer a matrix of “x condition/needs gets y accommodations” because it’s just going to encourage bad actors (including people who are not “TikTok fakers” but have some condition and honestly believe it’s OK to lie because they used to get DAS) to make sure they have the right talking points on the call. Obviously it will all come out on the internet over the next 3-6m (unless Disney requires NDAs, which I think would be smart but that they won’t actually do)…but at least things will probably be better briefly in summer and they’ll be able to collect data about which conditions they are seeing more of and which they are seeing less of from their guests seeking accommodation.
I feel some of this could be fixed by either doing a better job with Genie+ or offering a discounted version of G+ to those who should qualify for some accommodations under the old system but may not qualify now. The DAS and Genie are very different in how they operate and for someone unfamiliar with the Genie system it can be a real letdown. We have a family member that has required the DAS and may or may not qualify now. If not we will likely purchase Genie+ for the parks where the accommodations are needed for certain typical wait times so they can still do some of the rides, but if you are not on that system at 7AM you will see many of the rides you are looking to get on will be shut out. Disney needs to do a good job of explaining that to anyone who thinks they may qualify for a DAS only to find out they do not and then buying Genie at 10AM only to find out you can't book much anything and becoming frustrated when you should be having a good time. Hopefully all of the CMs will be able to explain how the other options work (paid and unpaid) and be able to take the time to really walk people through it as they transition to their new system and not just shuffle them to a link to read about other accommodations they provide to help.

offering a discounted version of G+ to those who should qualify for some accommodations under the old system but may not qualify now.
Since Genie+ is available to all guests providing a discount for some would lead to discrimination suits IMO. And for Disney it would be a nightmare to try and vet that type of scheme.

I suspect Disney already has a lawyer (or 2 or 3) who "specialize" in ADA who have been involved already. The new position may be hiring for someone whose primary responsibility will focus on anticipated litigation so as not to pull their other counsel away from broader responsibilities within the organization.
What I wish they would do is hire people who have various disabilities to help establish the setup. Yes, they would need to be reviewed for legality by the lawyers, but people who actually need the assistance are the ones that would be best to help establish the policies and come up with solutions to help avoid abuse.

Since Genie+ is available to all guests providing a discount for some would lead to discrimination suits IMO. And for Disney it would be a nightmare to try and vet that type of scheme.
Actually, they could offer a discounted version of Genie+ and say that in order to get that, you have to provide proof of a disability. That would be allowed under ADA, as there is a clear monetary value there.

All good points.

Yes, DAS is an accomodation that was.litigated especially for neurodivergent folk. Disney simply adopted it for the remainder as a one size fits all.

We've talked about the already, and Disney is going back to some tiered form of accommodations which is within their right to do so. This needs to be clear. Disney must attempt to provide a reasonable accommodation for a need.

Now if Disney wants to change DAS specifically for folk with developmental disabilities that will open up foe relitigation, and clearly Disney is not interested in doing so by already calling out ASD as one area that DAS would be the accommodation if needed by a guest.

Yes, Disney has been very generous and will probably continue such, just not one size fits all accommodation with DAS.

That'd a far cry though from saying Disney doesn't have to offer anything.

It absolutely does need to offer reasonable accommodations. What those are will be debatable once we know what they are soon....Just not soon enough for some
DAS was not begun or litigated especially for neurodivergent guests.
If was rolled out in 2013 as the replacement for the previous program for guests with disabilities. DAS was intended for guests whose disabilities prevented them from waiting in the regular lines. It included neurodivergent guests, but was not exclusive to them.
The previous program, GAC (Guest Assistance Card) had stamps that were meant to tailor GAC to the guest's needs. But, as guests found out which stamps allowed quickest access, those stamps became the ones people requested/demanded.
DAS got ride of the stamps and moved some of the accommodations that had stamps to asking at the attraction - examples: front row seating, avoiding stairs

What I wish they would do is hire people who have various disabilities to help establish the setup. Yes, they would need to be reviewed for legality by the lawyers, but people who actually need the assistance are the ones that would be best to help establish the policies and come up with solutions to help avoid abuse.

Actually, they could offer a discounted version of Genie+ and say that in order to get that, you have to provide proof of a disability. That would be allowed under ADA, as there is a clear monetary value there.
I DO know that when they changed from GAC to DAS in 2013, Disney did do focus groups get input from multiple disability related groups, including groups some of their many disabled CMs with different conditions/needs.

I don't see any reason that they would not have done the same with this change.

RunDisney got rid of that accommodation and AWDs now start with the masses in whatever corral matches their running pace.
What do other races around the nation do? I've never actually thought about something like that especially in the case of service animals or assistive devices. My assumption is that with Disney they have such a controlled environment within their parks that they could do things other races/marathons can't.

The safety concerns for those who run with canine or human guides especially have been problematic and shared with runDisney, but the organization remains committed so far to not offering that accommodation anymore.

Interestingly I looked up what is probably the most notable one in my area which is the Garmin one and they state
  • Can I race with a wheelchair or handcycle?
    • Due to the lack of sustainable participation numbers in these divisions, these options have been suspended."
They only allow service animals if they are for visually impaired runners though they also allow human guides via United in Stride (used for visually impaired). None of the paperwork I can find specifies those with visual impairment are able to get any special treatment be it race starting position or leeway on race time (they have a vehicle that follows the course and picks up being who are exceeding the time for their spot on the course).

If you're a walker you start at the back. But the Garmin race is also on public roads (some routes are on public park trails) with no full closure of them for the duration of the race. There are instead closed portions of the race with the rest only having partial closures until a set time so there is a safety component that isn't quite the same as Disney.

But I also know that RunDisney has gotten incredibly popular over the years, two of our Orlando DISers participate in them a good amount of time, so it makes me wonder if part of the adjustment and hard stance towards assistive devices or guides is related to an increase in participants to the point where they can't accommodate/ensure safety those groups the same as in the past. So maybe they aren't outright prohibiting it like the Garmin race for example but they are making is less likely to have a larger group of participants with those needs. Circling back around to the undercurrent vibe of too many users of DAS may be potentially not allowing certain groups within that to have accommodation in a way they did before (likening it to the increase in popularity of RunDisney participants creating issues to properly accommodate certain groups).

Internationally I would agree with you, that's something you see for admission into a variety of things. But in the U.S. not quite as likely for reasons already discussed so much before.

I feel some of this could be fixed by either doing a better job with Genie+ or offering a discounted version of G+ to those who should qualify for some accommodations under the old system but may not qualify now.

REPEATING AGAIN -- the moderators have asked that posters not speculate about "possible" accommodations or changes to DAS and/or G+. It causes confusion for those looking for valid information.

Back when Disney charged for parking at the resorts they offered free self parking for those with a disabled placard, while there was no free self parking option for those without a placard.

Not long ago - I want to say starting with Wine & Dine race weekend, so last Nov.? - runDisney changed its policy for Athletes With Disabilities (AWD). Previously AWDs were allowed to start behind the elite runners, but ahead of most of the rest of the field (the field being well over 10K runners, sometimes over 20K, to give you a sense of size). This allowed some extra time and space to AWDs who use assistive devices, service dogs, human guides, and/or who needed a more open space in which to wait (think “autism or similar”) ahead of the race start. RunDisney got rid of that accommodation and AWDs now start with the masses in whatever corral matches their running pace. It’s not gone particularly well for many AWDs, and some have decided they just can’t do the runDisney races anymore. The safety concerns for those who run with canine or human guides especially have been problematic and shared with runDisney, but the organization remains committed so far to not offering that accommodation anymore.
Since start times are based on running pace and anticipated finish time, I wonder if the start time slots between the elite runners and the rest of the field just got too close to accommodate an 'in-between' group

Back when Disney charged for parking at the resorts they offered free self parking for those with a disabled placard, while there was no free self parking option for those without a placard.
HA parking laws can vary by state. Many do allow an HA placard to park for free when others pay; it is one of the reasons they are allowed to require proof to obtain an HA placard/plate. Also, WDW has always allowed HA to utilize valet parking for free and thus extended it to the self-parking during the relatively short time they charged for overnight resort parking.

Genie+ has no such restriction on who can purchase it by prohibiting individuals within a particular group from doing so. Regardless that whole discussion regarding documentation to prove disability to get a discount was already discussed long ago and is not analogous to handicap parking which is also not related to charge/no charge of handicap parking as it relates to a get ahead of the line pass for a theme park. All IMO at least.

Since start times are based on running pace and anticipated finish time, I wonder if the start time slots between the elite runners and the rest of the field just got too close to accommodate an 'in-between' group
I was going to say this. During a non Disney race, I got stuck behind a group of blind walkers. And I was a runner. And they were talking across taking up most of the street making it hard to pass, seemed very unsafe for all, not to mention the race I was running was a qualifying race for some. I was in my correct corral for my pace and I caught up to my pretty quickly. Power to them for getting out there and walking that race, but for the safety of everyone, they should have been at the appropriate corral for their race finish time and not in the front due like you’re example that Disney used to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter