DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Apparently sesame place is kind of for people with special needs. A poster mentioned earlier that it’s ok if the accommodation affects park operations, which is incorrect. So if it’s mostly kids with special needs I can see how they had to limit the accommodation in order to keep the park running.
I’m not sure where you got the idea that Sesame Place is for people with special needs. It most certainly is a normally operating small amusement park, not at all “for” any specific group of people. It has grown over the years but as a local just about every family I know with small children gets season passes annually and I’ve been with my family many, many times. There are rides, water attractions, parades, and games if I recall from the last time I went a few years ago.

They did ask in the chat and I gave the names although I am traveling with 7 others. I have never used DAS with more than 3 others besides myself. Not sure how it works. Can I pick any of them up to 5?
We had to specify the guests that will be with us. The CM created our group and then proceeded with the preselects. I think they want to limit the use to immediate family (but that restriction doesn’t go into place until May 20 I believe). If you do not create the DAS party you will not be able to make reservations in the park; you will have to go to a CM to setup the DAS party (no CMs after May 20; you will have to chat from my understanding). I believe this change was made when they moved to a digital DAS.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...d-already-made-das-advance-selections-498496/

If going prior to the change, the safest bet would be to select 5 on one day and another 5 another day (max 6 party size currently). That has been discussed prior on this board:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/different-guests-on-different-days-with-das-pass.3937608/

If you’re going after the changes unless you have 6 kids and a spouse, all 7 will not be allowed to be part of your DAS party and you cannot change the party members in the parks. You will be given an iPad to make changes via chat. Only you, spouse and kids will be able to ride with DAS (no grandkids no friends) after the changes.

Last edited:
I know. It bothers me too.
I've written a lot of Health Care/Hospital Infection Control Polices and Procedures over the years. They have to be very exact and only interpreted one way.

This kind of made me feel like someone read it and thought, "oh, we better add something that shows DAS isn't the only accommodation we provide". That person told someone else who told someone else to add the words, "one of the programs" somewhere.
As someone who has run company websites before, I can almost guarantee they emailed their web developer who probably has not taken a writing class since high school/first year of college, and asked them to update the website with that information, but gave no further direction. Then in a few weeks, the higher ups will realize they maybe should have actually put some thought into how things are worded. Ask me how I know…

I totally see where you are coming from in saying that “Das isn’t a benefit, it’s an accommodation” … I agree that it’s accommodation…

But, it is an accommodation that offers the benefit of using the LL, which is a usually a shorter wait (and I do realize that DAS guests wait as long/longer/or equal the standby time).

Because the accommodation happens to come with that benefit (and it is a “benefit”) that Disney has non disabled guest pay to have…

I think it might grant Disney a little bit more wiggle room with what the have to provide vrs. what they want be able to provide (and what the guests would like them to provide)

They absolutely have to provide some accommodations to all who need them…
But there are other ways they could do it differently from what they currently offer

(I am Not at all saying I don’t want them offer DAS is it is currently.. I don’t have a disability, but I think it has value and makes the parks doable for many who could not go otherwise, I am just saying I don’t think they have to provide it as is)

And I actually stand corrected on a post I made earlier where I said that if the standby lane is open to all guests, Disney has to allow the DAS guest access to the LL ( I didn’t think they could limit the DAS guest from getting a return time, since the return to LL is the standby for those guests)..

But a friend of mine pointed out that Sesame place in Pennsylvania offers a DAS like pass to guests with needs… BUT the pass they offer only allow 2 rides for the attraction, not the ability to get repeated return times to all attractions . And I was really surprised to lean they have 15 attractions.. but the guests using their DAS like pass has to choose 6 of them to experience with the return after waiting standby time.

So they do not have open access to
Get a return time to wait the standby time and come back to try all the attractions, they are limited to choosing a few and then Further limited in the amount of rides they can have on those 6 that they choose

I’m not saying I think their system is good, i actually think it seems a little unfair to not at a least I offer the ability to get a return time for 1 ride on each of their 15 attractions (since a guests needing a DAS like accommodation wouldn’t be able to access the standby line any other way. ..

But apparently, I stand corrected, and it is legal for a park to pick and choose more specific ways of accommodation … I guess the little bit of research I did showed that there is not a lot of case law at all in regards to accommodations offered for those who can’t wait in the standby line.

The law is very specific when talking about the ADA requiring ramps / accessible ride vehicles ect ( anything having to do with structure and how the ride is constructed and accessed is very well defined in the ADA section on amusement parks)

BUT… when it comes to those who need accommodations to wait elsewhere and come back… the ADA is basically empty. It really doesn’t specify what has to be offered (if anything) .

I was really surprised honestly, but I guess there just has not been many cases argued on this issue (the only one I could find was the last one that Disney litigated regarding the GAC)

Compared to other parks …Disney is very generous with their accommodations, and I hope guests who need it can continue to use DAS ini it’s current form.. , but apparently it’s a big grey area as to what parks have provide in accommodations.

*** upon reading over this I realized I used the word apparently like 20 times lol, I’m sorry, I had a long day at work and that word kept popping into my writing 🤷🏼‍♀️
All good points.

Yes, DAS is an accomodation that was.litigated especially for neurodivergent folk. Disney simply adopted it for the remainder as a one size fits all.

We've talked about the already, and Disney is going back to some tiered form of accommodations which is within their right to do so. This needs to be clear. Disney must attempt to provide a reasonable accommodation for a need.

Now if Disney wants to change DAS specifically for folk with developmental disabilities that will open up foe relitigation, and clearly Disney is not interested in doing so by already calling out ASD as one area that DAS would be the accommodation if needed by a guest.

Yes, Disney has been very generous and will probably continue such, just not one size fits all accommodation with DAS.

That'd a far cry though from saying Disney doesn't have to offer anything.

It absolutely does need to offer reasonable accommodations. What those are will be debatable once we know what they are soon....Just not soon enough for some

As someone who has run company websites before, I can almost guarantee they emailed their web developer who probably has not taken a writing class since high school/first year of college, and asked them to update the website with that information, but gave no further direction. Then in a few weeks, the higher ups will realize they maybe should have actually put some thought into how things are worded. Ask me how I know…
Boy howdy, this is it 100%! I think though they realized it pretty quickly because w/in days, the 2nd paragraph was removed.

The main thing I'm hoping for is consistency, and that people will be able to have a reasonably accurate expectation of what's going to happen when they ask for accommodations. Because that's something that absolutely did not happen the last time they made major policy changes that were supposed to fix everything.

Now, is Disney willing to commit the resources that would be required for that? Namely, adequate staffing levels, adequate training, and adequate backup and supervision from management? Because no system is going to work the way they want it to without those things. The fact that they weren't willing the last time doesn't fill me with confidence, but we can only wait and see.

The main thing I'm hoping for is consistency, and that people will be able to have a reasonably accurate expectation of what's going to happen when they ask for accommodations. Because that's something that absolutely did not happen the last time they made major policy changes.

Now, is Disney willing to commit the resources that would be required for that? Namely, adequate staffing levels, adequate training, and adequate backup and supervision from management? The fact that it didn't happen last time doesn't fill me with confidence, but we can only wait and see.
So I agree that investing in training and equal application (for like needs) is critical and worth sparing no expense. It also involves training CMs to flag obvious cases of abuse/misuse as well as protocols for dealing with those of us who used to have DAS for 6+ and now have Rider Switch for 1-2 (I’m thinking a polite, apologetic script explaining the change and perhaps a link in the chat telling them who they can email with their complaints or refund requests)— otherwise waits are going to explode as dissatisfied former DASholders try to filibuster their way into upgrading their accommodations.

On the other hand, I do not think they should offer a matrix of “x condition/needs gets y accommodations” because it’s just going to encourage bad actors (including people who are not “TikTok fakers” but have some condition and honestly believe it’s OK to lie because they used to get DAS) to make sure they have the right talking points on the call. Obviously it will all come out on the internet over the next 3-6m (unless Disney requires NDAs, which I think would be smart but that they won’t actually do)…but at least things will probably be better briefly in summer and they’ll be able to collect data about which conditions they are seeing more of and which they are seeing less of from their guests seeking accommodation.

Every time someone like my sister takes a spot in the DAS line she is making an actual autistic child wait longer and impacting their actual legitimate use.

I honestly think Disney has a duty to try to weed people like her out for the sake of people with an actual need. At the moment they do absolutely nothing.

All she does is go to guest services and tell them my nephew has ADHD on the first day of a trip. It takes her about 5 minutes if there is no line.
And if that actual autistic child doesn't get the accommodations they need because Disney is too focused on "weeding out" people like your sister, you're OK with that, too?

No system is going to be perfect. Either some people without legitimate need are going to be accepted, or some people with legitimate are going to be rejected. I prefer the former to the latter.

So I agree that investing in training and equal application (for like needs) is critical and worth sparing no expense. It also involves training CMs to flag obvious cases of abuse/misuse as well as protocols for dealing with those of us who used to have DAS for 6+ and now have Rider Switch for 1-2 (I’m thinking a polite, apologetic script explaining the change and perhaps a link in the chat telling them who they can email with their complaints or refund requests)— otherwise waits are going to explode as dissatisfied former DASholders try to filibuster their way into upgrading their accommodations.

On the other hand, I do not think they should offer a matrix of “x condition/needs gets y accommodations” because it’s just going to encourage bad actors (including people who are not “TikTok fakers” but have some condition and honestly believe it’s OK to lie because they used to get DAS) to make sure they have the right talking points on the call. Obviously it will all come out on the internet over the next 3-6m (unless Disney requires NDAs, which I think would be smart but that they won’t actually do)…but at least things will probably be better briefly in summer and they’ll be able to collect data about which conditions they are seeing more of and which they are seeing less of from their guests seeking accommodation.
The kinds of situations I'm talking about are the people who are getting DAS for mobility issues now, because the frazzled, overworked CM on the line doesn't feel like having another yet another long argument today, sees the insane queue of other guests behind that one, and knows they don't have a manager who can jump in and back them up. Or the CM who's thrown to the wolves on their first day and doesn't understand the policy well enough to explain it to people who know it even less. Or the attraction CM fielding requests for accommodations not covered by DAS, and is too busy to listen to each guest so they just dispense automatic yesses or nos based on their own preconceived notions of what disability looks like.

The "matrix of 'x condition/needs gets y accommodations'” doesn't need to be released to the public, but it should be something all CMs are trained on and backed up on so that when a disabled person asks for the accommodations that fit their needs they know they're not playing Cast Member Roulette, and they know that the explanation they're given is what is actually going to happen when they go about their day in the park.

And if that actual autistic child doesn't get the accommodations they need because Disney is too focused on "weeding out" people like your sister, you're OK with that, too?

No system is going to be perfect. Either some people without legitimate need are going to be accepted, or some people with legitimate are going to be rejected. I prefer the former to the latter.
What you’re missing is that many who can’t wait in line more than 10-15 minutes under any circumstances already are shut out from access to some of the most popular rides in the current system…and they are the people the system was originally designed for, not those who currently qualify but can make 30min+ work if they are motivated enough. I can do 20-30m a few times before having to leave the park—and even still have to skip multiple ride queues over a 2 day trip that I know aren’t going to happen in less than 25m absent a miracle. If I am offered rider switch because I’m an adult and my spouse can wait through the line with both kids while I curl up on a bench somewhere, I won’t ride as much, but I’ll still do short lines with the family and will pay up to do LLs together if my kids really want to do something the 4 of us. I’m not suggesting this is a reasonable ask for adults without a partner or other adult to wait with young kids, but they either need to get many more people out of the DAS system or degrade DAS to give fewer rides per user. I think Disney has been trying to be as generous as possible as the number of users swelled, and if they have to go to court do defend their numbers and data, I think that they’re going to ask for legal blessing of an even more stingy system than what is currently proposed.

Disney needs to hire a "Catch Me if You Can" type person who can figure out lots of ways to cheat the system and then fix those loopholes. That might help to keep cheating down.

Yeah me too, but at the moment it’s just an honour system and too many people aren’t honourable.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that Sesame Place is “mostly kids with special needs.” It’s geared towards young kids with the Sesame Street theme and characters, but was never originally built or designed for special needs. It opened in the 1980s. In 2018 it became the first Certified Autism Center theme park (a certification by IBCCES) but that is not the primary population though I’m sure it brings more due to the autism-friendly designation.
I thought that because when we researched going there the main thing that I took away from their website was that it was sensory friendly.

But a friend of mine pointed out that Sesame place in Pennsylvania offers a DAS like pass to guests with needs… BUT the pass they offer only allow 2 rides for the attraction, not the ability to get repeated return times to all attractions . And I was really surprised to lean they have 15 attractions.. but the guests using their DAS like pass has to choose 6 of them to experience with the return after waiting standby time.

So they do not have open access to
Get a return time to wait the standby time and come back to try all the attractions, they are limited to choosing a few and then Further limited in the amount of rides they can have on those 6 that they choose

I’m not saying I think their system is good, i actually think it seems a little unfair to not at a least I offer the ability to get a return time for 1 ride on each of their 15 attractions (since a guests needing a DAS like accommodation wouldn’t be able to access the standby line any other way. ..

But apparently, I stand corrected, and it is legal for a park to pick and choose more specific ways of accommodation … I guess the little bit of research I did showed that there is not a lot of case law at all in regards to accommodations offered for those who can’t wait in the standby line.

The law is very specific when talking about the ADA requiring ramps / accessible ride vehicles ect ( anything having to do with structure and how the ride is constructed and accessed is very well defined in the ADA section on amusement parks)

BUT… when it comes to those who need accommodations to wait elsewhere and come back… the ADA is basically empty. It really doesn’t specify what has to be offered (if anything) .

I was really surprised honestly, but I guess there just has not been many cases argued on this issue (the only one I could find was the last one that Disney litigated regarding the GAC)

Compared to other parks …Disney is very generous with their accommodations, and I hope guests who need it can continue to use DAS ini it’s current form.. , but apparently it’s a big grey area as to what parks have provide in accommodations.

*** upon reading over this I realized I used the word apparently like 20 times lol, I’m sorry, I had a long day at work and that word kept popping into my writing 🤷🏼‍♀️
This is interesting to learn and I find it fascinating that this ride limit is only in place at Sesame Place in Pennsylvania and does not exist at Sesame Place San Diego (or any SeaWorld park for that matter) despite being run by the same company. I’m guessing this relates to state law differences? Or maybe they just never received enough push back about the rule…

But for a park that pushes being autism friendly that just seriously seems like an odd limit and far from reasonable when that person will likely not be able to access the other rides they don’t use their six RAP rides on. I’d agree that a limit of once per ride (but every ride) would feel at least somewhat more fair.

I simply can’t imagine being told “you can’t handle waiting in our queues so you’re only allowed to access six rides today” when paying the same entry fee as everyone else. Because telling someone that truly can’t wait standby that they only get to use their accommodation on six rides is the same as telling them they can only go on six rides. At least this information is available on their website so people can make an informed decision of whether it’s worth going with the accommodation the park is willing to offer.

I’ve certainly never heard of theme/amusement parks in CA or FL limiting the number of times/number of rides someone can access with their disability pass. I could be wrong and they exist but I think there’s a reason it’s not a thing here…

I feel like CA & FL are much more experienced in making their parks accessible to those with a disability since they are big vacation destinations that get a lot of out-of-state (and country) guests with disabilities versus a state like PA that probably gets mostly in state or neighboring state visitors (I say this as someone who grew up in Pennsylvania…people really don’t travel there for vacation… unless it’s to pass through on their way to New York 😂).

I really don’t think we would ever see something this limiting in CA or FL (especially at Disney). I think they would choose to limit all accommodations to disabled guest + 1 caregiver guest before they considered going this route of limiting the number of rides the disabled guest can access. Hopefully they never need to make either of those drastic change to accommodations though.

Just crazy to think this limitation exists anywhere! 🤯

This is interesting to learn and I find it fascinating that this ride limit is only in place at Sesame Place in Pennsylvania and does not exist at Sesame Place San Diego (or any SeaWorld park for that matter) despite being run by the same company. I’m guessing this relates to state law differences? Or maybe they just never received enough push back about the rule…

But for a park that pushes being autism friendly that just seriously seems like an odd limit and far from reasonable when that person will likely not be able to access the other rides they don’t use their six RAP rides on. I’d agree that a limit of once per ride (but every ride) would feel at least somewhat more fair.

I simply can’t imagine being told “you can’t handle waiting in our queues so you’re only allowed to access six rides today” when paying the same entry fee as everyone else. Because telling someone that truly can’t wait standby that they only get to use their accommodation on six rides is the same as telling them they can only go on six rides. At least this information is available on their website so people can make an informed decision of whether it’s worth going with the accommodation the park is willing to offer.

I’ve certainly never heard of theme/amusement parks in CA or FL limiting the number of times/number of rides someone can access with their disability pass. I could be wrong and they exist but I think there’s a reason it’s not a thing here…

I feel like CA & FL are much more experienced in making their parks accessible to those with a disability since they are big vacation destinations that get a lot of out-of-state (and country) guests with disabilities versus a state like PA that probably gets mostly in state or neighboring state visitors (I say this as someone who grew up in Pennsylvania…people really don’t travel there for vacation… unless it’s to pass through on their way to New York 😂).

I really don’t think we would ever see something this limiting in CA or FL (especially at Disney). I think they would choose to limit all accommodations to disabled guest + 1 caregiver guest before they considered going this route of limiting the number of rides the disabled guest can access. Hopefully they never need to make either of those drastic change to accommodations though.

It likely occurred b/c they got data on how many rides their standby family guests can ever access just using the standby line during their day. 6 different rides was probably the max on a lower crowd day (and a higher crowd day was probably fewer) - remember, those folks with little kids still have to eat, go to the bathroom, possibly rider switch, and deal with naps and little kid meltdowns normally after waiting in lines, so even if ride times say more could happen, the data probably said it never did.

Thus, they likely have rock solid data saying this makes the park ride experience equivalent vs a standby user, and that those who want more rides can all purchase additional fast options. And that's all they need to do.

I think people here are focused on rides as in length of time in queue because that's how Disney's system works. Sesame Place is not for that, at least in PA with their autism focus. People here are all about attractions right but Sesame Place in PA is about the environment. (in the context of autism).

Look at the way they describe features:
"Sesame Place Philadelphia Ambassadors receive specialized training to ensure they have the requisite knowledge, skills, temperament, and expertise to cater to all children, including those with special needs. Training focuses include: sensory awareness, motor skills, autism overview, program development, social skills, communication, environment, and emotional awareness."

"The IBCCES Sensory Guide provides insight on how a child with sensory processing issues may be affected by each sense for rides and attractions at Sesame Place Philadelphia."

"Guests in need of some quiet time and relief from sensory stimulation can utilize our Low Sensory Room near Big Bird's Rambling River. This room has adjustable lighting and a comfortable seating area for guests to take a break. The Low Sensory Room is locked to ensure privacy for our guests. Guests who would like to use the Low Sensory Room can visit the Welcome Center to receive the code needed to enter."

"Sesame Place Philadelphia is proud to offer noise-cancelling headphones provided by KidCo. Guests with hearing sensitivity may pick up noise-cancelling headphones at The Family Care Center or The Welcome Center. Noise- cancelling headphones are available on a first come, first served basis. Please return at the end of your visit."

"Guests in need of a more quiet location in the park are encouraged to visit the area behind the Sesame Street Neighborhood. While this location is not a designated quiet area, it is often a less populated area of the park."

"Guests who want to enjoy the parade with a reduced volume level are encouraged to sit closest to where our parade begins and/or several rows back from the parade viewing line."

"Our Ride Accessibility Guide provides an overview of services and facilities available for guests with cognitive disabilities and other special needs that are visiting Sesame Place Philadelphia theme park. We are committed to providing a safe and enjoyable environment to all guests."

But in quite a large way you've hit on what may be a barrier for some--Because Disney is about what issues prevent you from waiting in a queue naturally people are focused about getting on rides and how many rides they may be getting on. More than likely if you're taking your autistic child to Sesame Place (over another theme park) you're doing so because the park itself provides at least more attention towards children with autism. So you see an issue with a limit I see that traveling parties are likely choosing Sesame Place with a focus on place that have more in mind for their autistic child rather than the most visited theme park in the world that may not limit rides by an actual number but otherwise does not have a heavy focus on the environment of the park.

This is interesting to learn and I find it fascinating that this ride limit is only in place at Sesame Place in Pennsylvania and does not exist at Sesame Place San Diego (or any SeaWorld park for that matter) despite being run by the same company.

It appears to me that there are 2 different accommodations -- the (probably more common) Ride Accessibility Program or RAP, and then the PA park offers a "Special Access Pass" or SAP which is the one limited to 6 dry rides and 3 water rides. The CA park appears to only offer RAP, though it's possible they simply don't advertise the SAP.

The RAP sounds to be similar to the old paper DAS in that you go to the ride entrance and obtain a boarding time. In the CA parks it appears this is only offered at 6 attractions; with others referred to as "smaller attractions." Not being familiar with either park, it's possible those are the only attractions with longer waits -- thus the limit on the SAP in PA.

The SAP provides "priority boarding" which sounds like FOTL. The limit is 6 actual rides (not attractions), which can include the same attraction up to 2 times. It is likely they can limit the number of rides because this is "special access" and not the standard RAP.

The last time I looked at the Sesame Place Phila program, it was listed as the RAP. It appears that SAP is a different level of accommodation.

I do find it very interesting that Sesame Place does not utilize the IBCCES card, though Sea World does and I believe they are related companies.

I happened to see Disney is hiring for a litigator familiar with the ADA— I think they expect that they will be challenged by both legitimate and fraudulent beneficiaries of the current system in the not too distant future.

I would hope a lawyer from Disability Rights Florida would review the new system too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter