• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I think that by "unruly kids", they mean kids with Autism/ADHD/Sensory issues šŸ™„šŸ˜ 
This is clearly what they mean. I think theyā€™re angry they didnā€™t get accommodated for their temporary disability (a boot for injury or other medical treatment) and are now proceeding to do something thatā€™s been banned from this thread (telling people their disability is less deserving of an accommodation) because they feel that their reason was more ā€œdeservingā€ and yet they were denied that additional assistance of DAS.

These boots are often called ā€œwalking bootsā€ for a reason, by the way. The doctors provide these instead of a cast to encourage continuing to use the foot / walking on it.

I understand Disney is a bit of an extreme situation and more than daily use of the foot so one may not want to walk all day with a walking boot on. But thatā€™s the situation where you would have the option of using a mobility device (your own or rented from Disney) and count yourself lucky that itā€™s only temporarily ā€œinconveniencingā€ you. Just because you would prefer a certain type of accommodation, doesnā€™t mean the option you do have isnā€™t fitting for your specific needs. Plenty of people with permanent physical disabilities recognize that they are capable of queuing as long as they are able to stay in/have their mobility device present in the queue and are perfectly fine with that (when the only issue is needing to avoid standing).

Last edited:
Sorry to get off track, it just made my brain jiggle a little bit. LOL

I have wondered about that. I am not sure if it was one CM or if this happens frequently....when some of our party was late to EPCOT, (we had a family of 10) it was suggested by a CM that we could do VQ for the people who did not ride/want to ride so those who want to ride again with their family could temporarily use our MBs.
I donā€™t think they care about swapping bands for Genie+ any more than they did for FP+. Obviously the person who owns the band needs to have entered and be in the park still.

If I had a heat triggered severe illness like that, I'd maybe look for cooler places to vacation.
If itā€™s possible to go somewhere we enjoy with the proper accommodations why should we sit at home or go somewhere different? In the middle of summer the whole country is hot anyways. And some of us are local passholders and I shouldnā€™t be restricted from accessing the parks for half the year because of my heat intolerance when there is an accommodation that will make it possible for me to visit most of the summer. Probably July-August will be too hot for me to even run from a/c building to a/c building. This is my first time with a pass since I became disabled and I got it last fall, so not sure yet how far into the summer Iā€™ll be able to go but I bought my pass onky after throughly researching DAS to ensure Iā€™d have park access outside October to April.

Reposting reminders
OK to say: I think the new accommodations will work for me.
NOT OK to say: I think the new accommodations will work for me, so it will work for everyone.

OK to say: My (non disabled) child used return to line to leave and go to the bathroom.
NOT OK to say: It worked for me/my child, so it will work for anyone with a disability.

OK to say: I/my child has a developmental disability, so we think we will still be covered.
NOT OK to say: I/my child has a developmental disability, I think other people should be happy with whatever accommodations they get.
NOT OK to say: Developmental Disabilities are the only ones that deserve accommodations.
NOT OK to say: You are lucky you/your child has a developmental disability.
NOT OK to say: Those kids are just "unruly kids" who haven't been taught to wait.

OK to say: I'm worried because the accommodations for my disability are changing.
OK to say: Things are too unclear and unsettled for me to feel safe
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is upset because accommodations are changing for them is just upset they won't get 'free Fastpasses'
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is upset is faking/didn't really need DAS

OK to say: I wouldn't mind providing proof of disability/I think proof of disability should be required
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is against documentation or doesn't want to provide it feels that way because they are faking a disability or don't have proof

NEVER OK:
Saying someone else's disability doesn't matter
Dismissing, minimizing or making fun of anyone's disability or concerns
Telling anyone what to say to try to obtain DAS

Everyone thinks their case should be an exception but tell that to the disabled person who now cannot get DAS because Disney says they no longer qualify. Even if they do RS they will only ride with one other person not their entire group. All of a sudden DAS plus 3 sounds very nice.
Or the guests that need DAS because they can't handle the actual queues and cannot even use it because the LLs are bloated up to 25-30 mins because other DAS users just had to take their entire extended family + their neighbor.

I've seen 1 report that the 10 minute waiting period will start 5/20 at WDW. But that party's visit doesn't start until 5/20 anyway.

I thought I'd seen another report over the weekend that party-size limit, valid length and the 10-minute wait were all in effect already. But I'm not finding that post at the moment to confirm.
10 minute wait is not currently in effect at Disneyland.

My understanding is that Disney's rules do not allow sharing of MagicBands. The DISboards doesn't allow discussing circumventing Disney's rules.
Giving someone your magicband to get into the park is against the rules. In no way am I suggesting that. And obviously the DAS holder would have to ride. But I have had cast members encourage swapping bands when someone cannot/will not ride for some reason, and no one blinks an eye when ā€œFredā€ taps in but the rider is clearly NOT a Fred. We have had to do this to accommodate my husband.

If I have been mislead all of these years I apologize, but it is my understanding that this is permitted.

Perhaps it is different using DAS vs just purchasing Genie+?

I'm from Canada, and I have always purchased my trips over the years, no less than 4 months out (this year I did it 9 months out due to planning it out with sister's family), you have no choice with plane flights, hotels, cars, there is lots to plan out because it's essentially a once a year trip at best and we make them longer to maximize our precious dollars and you need everything to match up so you can have your "magical" vacation that they love to advertise.

Can't expect a non-local to be able to adapt to the new system in under 2 months, they are shunning a large chunk of their customers, who may be turned off from returning in future years. I know now regardless if they grant me some leniency this year or not, next year I'll have to severely change the way I plan for these trips.
The way Disney has handled this and another previously used accommodation we were denied this week has turned off the magic for me. We were thinking of saving up for WDW in 2 years and skipping our annual DL trip next year. Now we may be leaning toward different experiences with our kids. Since the older 2 are maturing a bit, having a nearly same trip each year is less of an issue. Maybe weā€™ll explore some other cities.

This is clearly what they mean. I think theyā€™re angry they didnā€™t get accommodated for their temporary disability (a boot for injury or other medical treatment) and are now proceeding to do something thatā€™s been banned from this thread (telling people their disability is less deserving of an accommodation) because they feel that their reason was more ā€œdeservingā€ and yet they were denied that additional assistance of DAS.

These boots are often called ā€œwalking bootsā€ for a reason, by the way. The doctors provide these instead of a cast to encourage continuing to use the foot / walking on it.

I understand Disney is a bit of an extreme situation and more than daily use of the foot so one may not want to walk all day with a walking boot on. But thatā€™s the situation where you would have the option of using a mobility device (your own or rented from Disney) and count yourself lucky that itā€™s only temporarily ā€œinconveniencingā€ you. Just because you would prefer a certain type of accommodation, doesnā€™t mean the option you do have isnā€™t fitting for your specific needs. Plenty of people with permanent physical disabilities recognize that they are capable of queuing as long as they are able to stay in/have their mobility device present in the queue and are perfectly fine with that (when the only issue is needing to avoid standing).
Agree! But I do want to add that there are different varieties of boots. As an OT who worked in a level 1 trauma center, we regularly used a boot called an ā€œair castā€ā€”has an internal bladder system used to immobilize the foot/ankle. We used them frequently on patients who were non weight bearing. So there are instances when someone in a boot canā€™t walk and needs to use crutches and or wheelchair/scooter. I donā€™t know what the ppā€™s weight earring status is, but if I had a patient in a boot, ambulatory or otherwise (heck, Iā€™ve been that person in a boot), I would absolutely advise them to use some type of mobility device.

Agree! But I do want to add that there are different varieties of boots. As an OT who worked in a level 1 trauma center, we regularly used a boot called an ā€œair castā€ā€”has an internal bladder system used to immobilize the foot/ankle. We used them frequently on patients who were non weight bearing. So there are instances when someone in a boot canā€™t walk and needs to use crutches and or wheelchair/scooter. I donā€™t know what the ppā€™s weight earring status is, but if I had a patient in a boot, ambulatory or otherwise (heck, Iā€™ve been that person in a boot), I would absolutely advise them to use some type of mobility device.
Thank you for educating me on that! I cannot imagine going to a theme park when you need to avoid weight bearing and not having a mobility device. I know a lot of the time these trips are pre-booked then the injury happens so they have to make it work which is why I really hope most people would be willing to use a wheeled device of some sort versus crutches!

Iā€™ve seen some teens in the parks on crutches with both boots and full casts before and I just canā€™t imagine using the crutches all day versus having a mobility device to offer you breaks at least. This isnā€™t even taking queues into account, the parks are SO much walking! Way more than weā€™re all used to in our typical day.

As far as Universal's current policy, I'm sure they are watching Disney closely this summer, and will be adjusting based on how Disney's new plan is received and implemented, prior to opening their big new park in 2025.

AKA - They may also be accumulating all their data for a slam dunk case, and are just a few months behind Disney.

We are a family of 6, myself, my husband, our 3 adult children and one GD.
My husband has ASD we have never requested DAS for him because he has developed ways to cope in queues.

I have multiple physical disabilities which have qualified in the past for DAS but thereā€™s a large question mark over now. Still I cannot be left alone.

One of my daughters and her daughter both has great difficulties waiting in line dues to ASD. They both require a lot of support in the park to make it work.

We have a July 2 week holiday booked (actually our 1st DVC!) and the uncertainty of it all has really dampened any excitement. I canā€™t even fathom how the 4 person limit would work for us! And Iā€™ve given it ALOT of thought :sad1:

Iā€™m hoping it doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t take our GD on rides without her mum!

Last edited:
I was shocked today to receive a phone call from Disney Disability Services. It was based on an email I sent them about registering for DAS for an upcoming trip to Disneyland in June (first day is 6/17).

My original question was about needing to register twice for DAS as some on this board had suggested (which has since been debunked I think) that if your trip crossed over the 5/20 (for WDW) or 6/18 (for DLR) boundary that your previously approved DAS would be invalidated and you would need to re-apply.

The CM I spoke with was very clear I would not have to re-register and my DAS would be valid for the length of my trip (or presumably 30 days for AP or Magic Keys).

While I had her on the phone, I asked about the change in eligibility for DAS. I specifically asked about the wording on the website which said "developmental disabilities". What I asked was whether that would impact eligiblity for DAS if the person did not have a developmental disability.

What she told me was that it is just an example of something that might qualify for DAS and that every discussion will be handled on a case by case basis just like it is today. She said they do not want to list all of the disabilities that qualify for DAS.

She said the only difference is that instead of talking with a CM that the Video calls starting on 5/20 for WDW and 6/18 for Disneyland would be with someone from their "Accessibility Services Team". I presume this still means CMs that are trained by medical professionals and not actual medical professionals, but it sounds like it is a different group of people (or possibly the same people doing the video calls today just under a different name and no longer the people at Guest Relations like it is today).

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting that she said there would be no changes to eligibility for DAS and it would be handled on a case by case basis. I suspect the devil is in the details and there will be changes to who qualifies for DAS but it will not necessarily be limited to developmental disabilities, which I think is the good news based on the conversation I had.

I know this is very much the same thing our awesome mods have been saying time and time again but I hope it also helps others feel a little better.
Thank you for that amazing update, I think that's all people wanted hear, that it's not necessarily just 1 disability group that will be accepted, depending on the severity, it sounds like they will accommodate other ones. Looks like the biggest change is they want you to prove it a bit more and their CMs will be more knowledgeable on more situations. I was kind of shocked at a couple times where I would go for my DAS, say I need it, and they're like "here you go" and I in my head was like you don't want to me to explain (Universal always pressured me more). I was heavily pressured by Canada's Wonderland this spring, when applying for their program, after they made a very similar change as Disney this past winter. They didn't shut me out because my disability was not listed, instead they took the time to listen to me, question me way more than ever, and passed it along to multiple levels (I would imagine to double check with medical experts) and then was approved.

Not listing everything gives the impression that it won't be included and will naturally eliminate a few people right off the bat. I was always going to still apply for DAS regardless, but I can see some people go, I guess we don't qualify anymore and wont attempt to register. Abusers might be more scared to attempt knowing Disney will have medical consultants in their corner now to help weed out fake stories.

The way Disney has handled this and another previously used accommodation we were denied this week has turned off the magic for me. We were thinking of saving up for WDW in 2 years and skipping our annual DL trip next year. Now we may be leaning toward different experiences with our kids. Since the older 2 are maturing a bit, having a nearly same trip each year is less of an issue. Maybe weā€™ll explore some other cities.
Iā€™m so sorry šŸ’”ā€¦ uncertainty is the worst and being afraid something that was really amazingly wonderful might lose that amazing wonder is that is an awful place to be.

I hope you might give Disney a little time to get the transition worked out so you can see if the ā€œnew Disneyā€might work for youā€¦

lots of chaos right now. Even CMs are being told different things on different days and by different people.

The dust will settle and I really think most people will find Disney is still a place they can make wonderful memories with their friends and family.

( of course ..Im not saying itā€™s wrong or anything if you decide exploring other places is the right thing for you and your family to doā€¦
but I hope that everyone who wants to do more Disney trips feels welcomed and accommodatedā€¦ and that people donā€™t feel forced to seek out other places to visit)

Wherever you go for family fun, I really hope itā€™s a wonderful trip and you make lots of awesome memories šŸ’•šŸ™‚

I donā€™t know what challenges Disney will still give guests a ā€œtraditional DAS ā€œ for.., I do know that they plan on limiting it to only those with SEVERE needs related to their disability.

With that in mind.. someone struggling with that level of need, world probably struggle with caring for kids in a crowded theme park.

The example was based the question posed which was the idea that one adult had a DAS (meaning SEVERE needs) and one did not and they had 3 children with them. ..
I made no assumptions that all disabled people would struggle to care for kids in a theme park.. but someone with that level of need would most likely not be able to do that.
None of the new wording uses the word SEVERE. Maybe that is what they will be doing behind the scenes, but we really don't know yet. That being said, just because someone has a need to avoid traditional queues does not mean they are unable to take care of children. You are still making a lot of assumptions.

None of the new wording uses the word SEVERE. Maybe that is what they will be doing behind the scenes, but we really don't know yet. That being said, just because someone has a need to avoid traditional queues does not mean they are unable to take care of children. You are still making a lot of assumptions.
No it doesnā€™tā€¦

however, what they have publicly released is that ā€œmild cases might not qualifyā€ for a DAS.

That means they are saving that
accommodation for people who have such severe challenges related their disability that they cannot be accommodated by any of the other accommodations they may be able to offer.

So if they are telling people that mild cases of disabilities might not qualify for a DASā€¦

then that leaves me thinking if someone does have a DAS under the new system, they will most likely have severe limitations ..

to be given that accommodation that Disney has publicly stated they are hoping to have fewer people use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter