College Program Parents Thread...

My dd started in Sept, it was the last possible date to start.
If memory serves, the kids are given a choice of start dates. I 'think' Aug 8 was the first offered date, but that may not be right.

The arrival months don't change but the arrival date within the month will change. I don't believe that they have announced the arrival dates for the fall advantage or fall programs for 2017.
Fall advantage participants arrive in May and June. Fall participants arrive in August and September. Arrivals are almost always Monday.

Congrats, Monykalyn. My daughter just submitted her application and was immediately put into submission. She's trying not to be discouraged but, based on what she's heard, it seems like a long shot trying to move on from there!!

Congrats!
When's her phone interview? Is this her first time applying?

Her first time applying-yes, She did put that she can speak conversational spanish so I wonder if that is what moved her through? She is also technically a sophomore this semester due to all her college credits she took in HS. She wanted Wednesday for her PI but waited too long to think about it-now it is at 815pm on Thursday.
From what I can tell-it is all over the place on how long an app stays in "submission". She moved from submission, to WBI to PI within a couple hours but I do not think that is usual.

My DD applied yesterday and is in "submission". Based on some posts I just read, does this mean it is a long shot that she will get it?

Her first time applying-yes, She did put that she can speak conversational spanish so I wonder if that is what moved her through? She is also technically a sophomore this semester due to all her college credits she took in HS. She wanted Wednesday for her PI but waited too long to think about it-now it is at 815pm on Thursday.
From what I can tell-it is all over the place on how long an app stays in "submission". She moved from submission, to WBI to PI within a couple hours but I do not think that is usual.
Generally if you are going to get a web-based interview, it happens pretty quickly. And you know at the end of your web-based interview whether or not you will be offered a phone interview. That is always the same.
Even after the first kids interview this week, it will be awhile before they start sending out acceptance notifications.

My DD applied yesterday and is in "submission". Based on some posts I just read, does this mean it is a long shot that she will get it?
Mine only knew of one or two who got out of submission. Most of the kids she knows of stayed in submission for quite awhile and then automatically went to a NLIC status.
Good luck to your daughter though.

My son just got through his WBI last night late! He was so nervous answering every question. This is his second time through the WBI. First time he got the NLIC after finishing the WBI. But he made it through this time and his phone interview is next week. We are all crossing our fingers and he is really working on topics for potential questions. It is sure a stressful process as a parent when your child wants to get accepted to DCP so badly!!

My daughter made it all the way through her phone interview last semester. And waited 2 months to be rejected on the last day. This time she submitted her application and went into submission. She's very discouraged. I don't understand how the same applicant, with the same qualifications, can be fast tracked one time and sent immediately to submission the second time.

It is strange that no one seems to know what gets you past "submission". Really a strange process. DS is in "submission". It's his first time applying, so I told him that this time he should apply for the experience to see what they ask and not expect anything beyond that.

I can't believe your DD got all the way to the phone interview and then nothing. So sorry. I was hoping DS might provide some interest since he's a certified lifeguard and has been working as a lifeguard for 4 years. Guess not.

I've said it before, I truly think there is a computer algorithm that is put in place for apps. One that looks for certain words and phrases. If that process 'sees' a lot of those words/phrases, then you get to move on. If it 'sees' a lesser amount, you go into submission, fewer still and you get locked out. Then, the WBI looks for even more of those things. If the computer 'sees' what it's looking for, you move on to the PI. Why do some stay 'in submission' longer than others? Perhaps they had more of what the computer was looking for, so they are put 'on hold' until the computer sees what comes along, down the road. If the program still has needs, it can go to the 'in submission' candidates. If it has what it needs, kids get NLIC'ed.
It also has to depend on exactly what Disney is looking for, at any given time. If they had a ton of current DCP kids ask to extend, then they won't need as many new DCP candidates. There truly doesn't seem to any rhyme or reason to the lay person, that's for sure!

I've said it before, I truly think there is a computer algorithm that is put in place for apps. One that looks for certain words and phrases. If that process 'sees' a lot of those words/phrases, then you get to move on. If it 'sees' a lesser amount, you go into submission, fewer still and you get locked out. Then, the WBI looks for even more of those things. If the computer 'sees' what it's looking for, you move on to the PI. Why do some stay 'in submission' longer than others? Perhaps they had more of what the computer was looking for, so they are put 'on hold' until the computer sees what comes along, down the road. If the program still has needs, it can go to the 'in submission' candidates. If it has what it needs, kids get NLIC'ed.
It also has to depend on exactly what Disney is looking for, at any given time. If they had a ton of current DCP kids ask to extend, then they won't need as many new DCP candidates. There truly doesn't seem to any rhyme or reason to the lay person, that's for sure!
They just had a wave of kids go from "in submission" to being offered WBIs just the other day.
And as far as extensions, that varies dramatically program to program. For example, lots of Spring '16 CPs applied for an extension into the fall program and were denied. We know of MANY who had GREAT work records (no points to a very few points), had 4keys cards and were still declined for extension. They approved very few extensions from spring into fall. Why?? Because they can and they did. I don't believe they have a set pattern. I have been watching this for 5 years now and been through multiple programs with multiple kids and it is never the same from one program to the next as far as extensions and new acceptances.

My DD just started her Spring Advantage program on January 23rd. She is beyond thrilled and found out she was accepted very quickly once she applied. She is working at the Yacht and Beach Club in Merchandising. She has had a great experience so far. Already talking about extending if she can.

They just had a wave of kids go from "in submission" to being offered WBIs just the other day.
And as far as extensions, that varies dramatically program to program. For example, lots of Spring '16 CPs applied for an extension into the fall program and were denied. We know of MANY who had GREAT work records (no points to a very few points), had 4keys cards and were still declined for extension. They approved very few extensions from spring into fall. Why?? Because they can and they did. I don't believe they have a set pattern. I have been watching this for 5 years now and been through multiple programs with multiple kids and it is never the same from one program to the next as far as extensions and new acceptances.
Absolutely no set pattern!!! And I'm thrilled that so many kids 'in submission' got moved to WBIs!!! It's good to know that it's not the 'waiting room to NLIC'!! And I agree...many with great records don't get accepted to extend...there has to be a reason though. And there has to be a reason that so few were extended last spring. I know that my dd has a good work record, few 4keys, but was able to extend. While others, with similar records, weren't accepted. Who knows why. Could be, as I said, based on need. Same thing with original acceptances.....Disney knows what it's looking for, and I still believe it has a computer program set up that searches for those buzz words/phrases. You don't use them, you don't move along as quickly. There has to be some rhyme and reason to the selection process. My dd applied the first day apps dropped last year. She got a WBI invite within an hour, then a phone interview invite within an hour of the WBI. She did her PI 6 days later. Then, sat 'in progress' until mid-Feb...while others who applied after her, were accepted before her. Those kids obviously had more of what Disney was looking for. But, others that applied the same time dd did, sat in-progress up to the bitter end and were then put on a waiting list..only to be accepted 10 days before they had to report to WDW!!! It's a crazy system. I'm just glad it's behind us now!!! Dd just has to worry about finding permanent work there...any kind, anywhere!!!

Meesa back!!! I just dropped DD off at Vista Way for her second CP. Her roomies all seem to be nice. On her last CP, half her apartment got termed!

This should be a great experience. She'll be at Liberty Tree & Cinderella's Royal Table. She saw her chef from the last time working at the California Grill (yeah, we splurged), and she was connected with a chef at Coronado who knows the chef she worked for here at home. She has some good connections, and I get the feeling she's not coming back. We're looking forward to coming down and "inspecting her working conditions" in the spring. Is it bad that I'm already picking a hotel?

Meesa back!!! I just dropped DD off at Vista Way for her second CP. Her roomies all seem to be nice. On her last CP, half her apartment got termed!

This should be a great experience. She'll be at Liberty Tree & Cinderella's Royal Table. She saw her chef from the last time working at the California Grill (yeah, we splurged), and she was connected with a chef at Coronado who knows the chef she worked for here at home. She has some good connections, and I get the feeling she's not coming back. We're looking forward to coming down and "inspecting her working conditions" in the spring. Is it bad that I'm already picking a hotel?
Welcome back!!!! If it's wrong to be picking out a hotel for a spring visit, then I've been very, very bad!!! Dd started on Sept 5, has extended until May, moved into an apt last month, and will be applying for permanent work...I was in WDW in Sept (to drop her off and get her settled), then in late Oct, again the weekend prior to Thanksgiving (WDW for a week, then a cruise, then back to WDW for a few days!), Jan 2-8 to get her car to her and to help her move out of Vista Way into a friend's apt until hers was ready, then Jan 26 for a few days to check out the new apt, then drove to Ft Lauderdale to visit family, then I flew back to WDW to surprise dd for a few days!!! Going again in late March!!! So yeah, I'm not so sure planning a visit in the spring is so bad!!!!! Enjoy the planning process!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter