Cell Phones in Alaska

Kwami

DIS Veteran
Hello,

It's almost time for my cruise to Alaska!

How is the coverage in Vancouver, BC and in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, Alaska? I'm on the T-Mobile network. Their website shows "partner" coverage in these places, but it doesn't provide many details. Has anyone had recent experience with T-Mobile on an Alaskan cruise? Did you get reasonable data speeds? Did you have a data cap? How was reception?

Thanks!

You have to put your phone on data roaming for T-Mobile and connect. Apparently they do not have cell towers in Alaska. I had to have a family member call to find out why everyone else was connecting to internet at ports and I wasn't with T-mobile. If anyone in your party has At and T or Verizon they are good to go. I would just call your plan to find out if you will get charged data roaming. They said data roaming in Canada and Alaska is okay. But if data roaming is on when you're on the ship you will get charged.

Hello,

It's almost time for my cruise to Alaska!

How is the coverage in Vancouver, BC and in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, Alaska? I'm on the T-Mobile network. Their website shows "partner" coverage in these places, but it doesn't provide many details. Has anyone had recent experience with T-Mobile on an Alaskan cruise? Did you get reasonable data speeds? Did you have a data cap? How was reception?

Thanks!

We had T-Mobile on our May cruise and we had service in all ports, but service was slow. We were told the towns cell coverage can't handle all the cruise ship passengers when there are multiple ships in port. Locals told us it's fine when everyone leaves.

We also had AT&T and it was slow also.

We had T-Mobile on our May cruise and we had service in all ports, but service was slow. We were told the towns cell coverage can't handle all the cruise ship passengers when there are multiple ships in port. Locals told us it's fine when everyone leaves.

We also had AT&T and it was slow also.
My phone wouldn't convert automatically after getting into port. Did yours automatically get into internet access without doing anything?

My phone wouldn't convert automatically after getting into port. Did yours automatically get into internet access without doing anything?
I think I already had all those settings on because of being in Canada a few days before the cruise.

I used to have T-Mobile and live near the border. Unless you have an international plan just be aware that if your phone pings a Canadian cell tower, even if you are physically standing in the US, you'll get hit with international charges.

I believe Verizon plans include Canada and Mexico as part of their coverage. Mine does.

Just checked - the Unlimited plans include Canada and Mexico.

Last edited:
I used to have T-Mobile and live near the border. Unless you have an international plan just be aware that if your phone pings a Canadian cell tower, even if you are physically standing in the US, you'll get hit with international charges.
T-Mobile doesn't have international charges for data and, in Canada, T-Mobile doesn't charge for calls and texts, either. I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried that speeds will be slow or data will be capped. So far, this thread has had mixed responses, so I guess I still don't know what to expect! I'll download some maps and print anything that I might need, just in case my signal is weak or the data link is throttled too much.

Was on the Alaskan cruise August last year and T-Mobile service was fine. Only issue I had was a roaming call while at sea for a few dollars. I got it waived because we received a text to disable services as roaming and made sure to do that so I complained that I had no idea what the call was about because we didn't make any calls. However, the real culprit is with the iPhone where a voicemail gets translated into text so make sure you disable that so you don't run into the same issue. Apparently that service places a call to retrieve the voicemail in order to transcribe it into text.

T-Mobile doesn't have international charges for data and, in Canada, T-Mobile doesn't charge for calls and texts, either. I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried that speeds will be slow or data will be capped. So far, this thread has had mixed responses, so I guess I still don't know what to expect! I'll download some maps and print anything that I might need, just in case my signal is weak or the data link is throttled too much.
They will charge while roaming on the seas though. Trust me on that 🤣

I had an international plan through my German mobile provider. I had service in all ports. But it as very slow in Skagway and Juneau. A CM mentioned that they all thought Ketchikan was best for data. I often had service when sailing by area where there was a town. EU providers will not let you incur roaming charges without you actively opting in, so I was fine not putting phone in airplane mode. I also never connected to any network other than USA or Canada.

Cruise was beginning of August and all ports had several ships in town.

I have T-Mobile and did Alaska last summer. My plan includes North America so no $ issues in Canada and I had great coverage in all the ports. No issues, no roaming, one of the easiest cruises I've been on connectivity wise.

I have T-Mobile and did Alaska last summer. My plan includes North America so no $ issues in Canada and I had great coverage in all the ports. No issues, no roaming, one of the easiest cruises I've been on connectivity wise.
To be clear, you absolutely were roaming. According to their website, T-Mobile doesn't have towers in Alaska or in Vancouver.

T-Mobile has no native service in Alaska. It instead uses domestic roaming using their partner providers GCI and AT&T. When connected to GCI, you'll get 5GB of free roaming data at their "top speeds" and then you'll get 'dumbed' down to 3G speeds after the 5GB of full speed data.
AT&T data is capped at 200MB and is always capped at 256KB data speeds, so you really want to go into settings and manually connect to GCI if your phone connects to AT&T instead. Text messages, data and phone calls are all free while on GCI or AT&T.
Note this is no different than other areas where T-Mobile has no native coverage. For example, in Death Valley National Park in California, T-Mobile has no tower and uses domestic roaming on Commnet Cellular, which is another small cell phone provider.
To change your provider on TMobile with an iPhone, go to settings - cellular - network selection - and Unselect "automatic" if you get dumped onto AT&T. Then, wait about 2 to 3 minutes and you'll get a list of providers available including Verizon, GCI, AT&T, etc. If you try to connect to Verizon you'll just get "no service" -- but choosing "GCI" will get you full speed data.
As someone else said, only disable airplane mode in port. When cruising up and down Alaska and not near a town, Disney will turn on Cellular at Sea which is their own cell tower on the ship. The rates for roaming on that are astronomical. They have to turn Cellular at Sea OFF when 10 miles within a land based cell phone tower legally, though. Best advice is to go to airplane mode and just use Wifi when she ship leaves each port.
All that being said, when 5 cruise ships show up to the same Alaskan port at the same time, ALL the cell providers struggle to provide service and ALL will generally have fairly slow service. This is a bandwidth / backhaul issue as the providers don't have enough data bandwidth to handle 8,000 extra people showing up to the same cell tower at the same moment once or twice a week for just two months out of the year. Instead of spending $$$ to improve coverage, the cell providers just provide the slower service when they get overloaded. And note that "postpaid" customers will always get priority over cheaper "pre-paid" customers of the same service. So someone on the $100 AT&T or Verizon super-duper plan will definitely be browsing faster in congested conditions than someone on a Verizon Prepaid, Visible, or Cricket Wireless plan.

Last edited:
Alaska is considered roaming (ie: incurring charges)?

LAX
See @Flip flops in winter post.

T-Mobile does not need to have physical towers of their own - they make agreements with other companies that allows their customers to have access without extra costs.

Best bet is to check with T-Mobile, unless you accept what you find on the internet. I believe there is a lot of reports of the T-Mobile & GCI agreement that I would expect to use my phone in AK - without roaming fees.

IMG_4821.jpeg

The mass influx of cruisers could overwhelm the system, I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter