• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brown recluse spider in room?

leebee

DIS Veteran
DD/SIL checked into their room at POR to find this little "friend!" Needless to say, she is freaked out and he's not too happy, as they think it's a brown recluse. Would they be being "that guest" if they took this guy to the front desk and asked that their room be thoroughly deep cleaned, at no charge to them, of course?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 8.14.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 8.14.58 AM.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 127

Ask the front desk to have pest control come to the room and deal with it.

I don’t think a deep clean of the room is necessary. A spider in the room doesn’t mean the room isn’t clean. Spiders are super common in any dwelling. 100% guarantee they have spiders in their personal house or apartment. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there, they just happened to see this one.

For lack of a better term ~ I don't think it's butt is anywhere near big enough for a brown recluse ~ and as said above it would be very rare for them to be in Florida, they aren't even in south Georgia. Unfortunately for me they are in north Georgia. 🕷️

Florida = bugs, spiders and lots of wildlife most folks aren't used to. I would either kill it or put it outside .. glance around the room to make sure they were alone. If they are concerned am sure maintenance can come and do a light bug spray.

First we have a lot of brown spiders in Florida, I just had to remove a big one from our garage the other day, so me personally it would not have bothered me, and I would of took care of it one way or another:) But if you are worried, then by all means talk with a manager and see if they will deep clean your room, you have all the rights to do this.
The recluse normally has a violin shape on their back.

1714055290913.png

If they think it’s a venomous spider, I wouldn’t take it to the front desk. I think a picture would suffice.
I read a recent article about people capturing snakes that bit them and taking the snake to the hospital with them. This was in Australia. Medical officials were asking people not to do this. They don't need to actually see the snake to identify it. They didn't even need a photo of it. Too much risk trying to capture or take a photo of it. Then if you bring a snake to the hospital, there are other issues. Some people were bringing them in poorly secured containers or even in plastic bags.

I do not like spiders in any shape & form, and to be honest, I would have stepped on it and thrilled it wasn't an ugly Palmetto (cockroach). In any case, I certainly wouldn't have blamed Disney.

Spend a really lot of time in FL and never heard of a brown recluse there.

We live in Kentucky and have brown recluse spiders everywhere. That does not look like what we see (with the violin back). They actually scare me less than other spiders, as they are pretty slow and not usually aggressive.

Once my husband woke up and found one in our bed, smooshed flat...but still alive. He had slept on it all night. It did not bite him, thankfully!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter