Bed bugs: Am I being crazy or should I actually be worried?

We have encountered bed bugs in a hotel room. It was not fun! Those bites itch like crazy! I discovered that I react badly to bed bug bites. UGH!
However, I do not let the possibility of encountering bed bugs stop me from travelling and staying wherever we want.

Nowadays, I put the suitcases in the bathtub until the room is checked (apparently they are unlikely to be in there). Bring a flashlight to check bed seams, headboards, behind furniture, night table, etc. Look at pics online (before you go) so you know what to look for. It takes a few minutes but the peace of mind is worth it.

When you go home wash everything in hot water and store luggage in extreme temperatures outside the house, if possible. I like the PP idea of putting bags in black plastic garbage bags in the sun in summer. We put our empty bags out in the unheated shed for a couple of weeks in the winter. We live up north so it gets pretty cold.

Try not to worry. The good news is that, although stuff happens, it is more than likely that you will NOT have a problem.

In addition to checking the sheets for bed bugs..... I carry one of these portable UV lights. Amazing to find dirty places housekeeping missed from the previous guests....
https://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-Light-Detector-Blacklight-Flashlight/dp/B0158SOWGG/ref=sr_1_6

If there's a sticky or dirty spot.... I put the tip with a post-it note pointing to where they missed in the previous cleaning as I'm checking out.

I bet housekeeper loves that :rolleyes:. One thing is pointing out something you can see with the naked eye, but a black light? Nothing good can come from seeing those carpets with a black light.

As others have posted, this is not a problem with a specific WDW resort or WDW wide issue. It can and does happen everywhere, even with the highest end resorts, lodges, chains anywhere. It can be brought in on people and or their luggage. Just check the bed/s before climbing in if you are worried about this. We have been to WDW many times and have never had issues with bedbugs.

In addition to checking the sheets for bed bugs..... I carry one of these portable UV lights. Amazing to find dirty places housekeeping missed from the previous guests....
https://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-Light-Detector-Blacklight-Flashlight/dp/B0158SOWGG/ref=sr_1_6

If there's a sticky or dirty spot.... I put the tip with a post-it note pointing to where they missed in the previous cleaning as I'm checking out.

Just curious, why do you not tell housekeeping while you're still in? I believe if your point is to have a clean room, it will be easier than cleaning yourself?

I always check. It's usually just a quick check. I don't tear the whole dang bed apart. Just check between the mattresses, behind the headboard, and around the baseboards by the bed.

Also try not to freak out at every bite you get. Every time we go to Florida I wake up with bites. Last time I checked the beds like 3 times because I kept waking up with bites. Turns out Florida just has a lot of biting bugs. :)

Just curious, why do you not tell housekeeping while you're still in? I believe if your point is to have a clean room, it will be easier than cleaning yourself?
Depends....
  • if I see bugs.... I request a room change immediately. I don't want to be snorting Raid for the rest of the night.
  • by the time I check in after 6pm.... housekeeping is often gone home for the night. Often it's a minor problem (sticky furniture or carpeting, greasy hair dryer, garbage under the bed)... I just avoid the area or a quick clean myself. It's not worth waiting for housekeeping or listening to empty apologies at the front desk. My sleep time is more valuable... especially if I'm checking in past 11pm.
  • if I'm just staying for one night.... a simple note with an arrow to the problem area with a reduced tip is easier. The subtle message gets to the cleaner.... no need to embarrass anyone. I'll leave that to another guest.
As a budget traveler, I'm just happy to find an affordable private place for the night.

When sleeping... I keep nearly all my clothes in my luggage closed. This prevents bugs from getting in. I even use the luggage rack (normally stored in the closet) to elevate my luggage away from any bugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter