Bay Lake Tower vs Grand Floridian DVC?

We own at BLT and have been happy with our purchase, though we bought several years ago before the resale restrictions. VGF is nice but don't personally think it is worth the extra cost, not just the $ per point but also how many points it costs to book rooms there. Seems to be like 30% more per point for VGF just looking at the ROFR thread and then the point chart is also around 20% more points per room.

In September, it's 120 points per week for a deluxe studio at VGF vs 97 points at BLT.

ROFR thread shows VGF to be around $160 per point and BLT around $120 per point just based on recent sales?

120 points x $160 = $19200 for VGC vs 97 x $120 = $11640 for BLT for a week in September
Maintenance dues are about the same, though VGF is 2 cents cheaper for 2024.

Ultimately I don't think there's a good way to answer the question though without just visiting yourself and deciding which one you like better. They both have access to the monorail and relatively convenient to MK (though I prefer the closer walk at BLT), so it largely comes down to whether you think the feel / theming etc of VGF is worth the extra money. Many people certainly do, which is why it's more expensive. Also VGF expires a few years later.

If you want studios then VGF is superior as there are more sleeping surfaces (up to 5 people) and the rooms are larger. If you'll mainly be getting 1 or 2 bedrooms then BLT is better since there is an extra bathroom. I own at VGF because I love the resort even though we usually get 1 bedrooms. I do love the extra bathroom and the the walk to MK from BLT though.

BLT is a great resort and one of the most economical resale options between buy-in, dues and point chart. It has a high bang for the buck. It has imo the best 1BR option.

But the math is not complete without looking at how you are likely to use either contract. Say you were inclined to book standard studio at either resort. Standard view at BLT is parking lot and VGF is resort view. It’s mostly just a 1 or 2 point jump to VGF. Some people might prefer paying that, especially if they enjoy VGF resort more. Once you move up to lagoon view in BLT, you’re getting similar views to VGF standard and possibly paying more points than VGF. If 1BRs are of interest then good argument can be made BLT.

There’s alot of moving parts when it comes to DVC. So many things fall outside apples to apples. One person’s math does not necessarily apply to another’s.

We’re more recent owners. Started with a small resale and then took the direct plunge. So far we’ve tried each monorail resort twice. I think Poly is a good contender in this category as well. Logistically it wins, has the large studios like VGF with the extra rainfall shower room, standard view is actually resort view, and has some of the best resort theming and amenities. I’m bringing Poly into the picture because it’s nearly ready to go into active direct sales. For someone planning to visit WDW alot over the next 2 decades, the cost of direct over resale could be well worth it. Again, it’s going to depend on individual choices. IF Poly has god incentives then it is possible the premium paid is small when broken yearly over contract.

I own at VGF (from 2022 onward), and I've stayed at BLT twice (and Contemporary once). As always, it's really a matter of taste and vacation preferences.

$: Your money and points buy you less at VGF than BLT.
Studios: I like the Resort Studio rooms at Big Pine Key very much for my needs (2 adults, 1 "adult" child).
Walking path to MK: BLT's is noticeably shorter than VGFs, which matters on hotter days.
Monorail to MK: Direct from VGF (but loaded from BLT, TTC, Poly). Pretty empty from BLT, but several stops on the way.
Monorail from MK: Direct to Contemporary first. But the boat to VGF is 4 minutes, and VGF is first stop.
TTC: Next monorail stop from BLT; you need to make the loop from VGF.
Spa: VGF has the Spa on-site
Poly: Walk from VGF, monorail/boat from BLT
Top of the World Lounge: At BLT, monorail from VGF.

In terms of convenience to MK/TTC, I think BLT edges out VGF, but Poly wins that overall (especially the traditional long houses - easy walk to monorail or TTC). It's tradeoffs.

But I like the VGF resort more for personal reasons. I like the restaurant options a bit more, I certainly like the rooms more, and I like the overall resort theming a bit more. We drive to DS, AK, and DHS (rented cars) - so the TTC isn't critical except for EPCOT, which we rarely feel the need to rope drop. I like monorailing to MK and boating back to VGF (first stop for both). Though I admit walking from BLT and monorailing back is equally efficient. I like being able to walk to Poly, which is a favorite of mine.

In the end, it will come down to what you value. You can make a case for any of the monorail resorts, if that is the tradespace. It's "what do you/your family value, and why?"

- all of the above positives were counterbalanced by the monorail. We were not there during peak time and the monorail to MK would be full. When returning from the MK after fireworks, we would have packed monorails as well and most people were getting off at TTC. In fact, CMs were directing people from the direct monorail line to the resort one which increased wait times and crowding for resort guests. Even for GF hotel guests paying close to $1k/night, the monorail situation has a lot to be desired. One car should be dedicated to VGF. All I could think about was that I wished I was staying at BLT and walking back.
Yeah, for me this plays a big part in Poly being tied with VGF. Logistically Poly wins. If the MK monorail or ferry look good, we pop over to TTC. If not we take the resort launch to MK - which can be done from VGF too. The MK-VGF is longer than BLT but is still nice that when all else fails there’s a reliable way to get ‘home’ within 15 minutes.

But then Poly also has monorail to EP. We’ve only done a few times but all have been quick and smooth. I feel like monorail to EP is less likely to have issues than MK’s. Delays around the monorail resorts happen often for us. 20 minute hiccups felt common.

So if staying at Poly you have two monorail choices from MK: (1) resort monorail to Poly or (2) TTC monorail, get off at TTC and walk to Poly? Good idea!

I did consider the ferry from VGF to MK when we were eating at Gasparilla's (which QS is a con for VGF) but was afraid I would have to fold the stroller.

If you want studios then VGF is superior as there are more sleeping surfaces (up to 5 people) and the rooms are larger. If you'll mainly be getting 1 or 2 bedrooms then BLT is better since there is an extra bathroom. I own at VGF because I love the resort even though we usually get 1 bedrooms. I do love the extra bathroom and the the walk to MK from BLT though.
Thank you so much for the honest answer. We opted to put in an offer on VGF that fits perfectly into our family's goals/timeline. Juliana :)

What type of unit will you typically want (size and view)?

What time of year will you most likely travel?

Are you aware that the Polynesian exists

What type of unit will you typically want (size and view)?

What time of year will you most likely travel?

Are you aware that the Polynesian exists?
Thank you for the insight. While we like the Poly the main center point is more than we care to handle with all the people. Perhaps the tower will be different and we will look when it opens there as it is our daughter's favorite. Juliana

I'm partial to BLT but you really can't go wrong with VGF, IMO, especially if you're a foodie (Citrico's, Narcoossee's, Victoria and Albert).
It was a hard decision as there is real value in BLT right now - less $ and more points to gain on the resale market but my fiancé loves the VGF so money couldn't shake him off that love. So VGF it is! Thanks again. Juliana

VGF for us, but can’t wait to see what BLT refurb will look like. Both have great dining options. My 12 year old daughter loves VGF especially the resort studios. I would try before you buy to see which you like better.

We like VGF better because of the studio options with resort and deluxe categories. The studios are also larger. We like to gym on vacation and prefer the gym and spa at VGF as well. We also prefer VGF pools over BLT.
Thank you so much for the honest answer. We opted to put in an offer on VGF that fits perfectly into our family's goals/timeline. Juliana :)

Long term costs are very close to the same. Points per stay may be a bit of a plus for Bay Lake, but we prefer VGF. It just seems more fun.

Some people focus on travel time to the parks, but being based at VGC, we think all the travel options stink at WDW so that isn't an issue for us.

In the end it always goes back to "buy where your want to stay the most often"
And that ultimately was the VGF for my fiancé. Thanks for the insights. Juliana

Everybody is different but I wouldn't be able answer this question with a feature comparison. I would recommend to at least walk through both resorts or, if possible, stay there for a night. From a spec perspective BLT would be a better fit for me (proximity to MK, point charts, monorail to TTC) but I just didn't get any emotional connection (feels like a regular chain hotel to me) and would only stay there again if nothing else on the monorail loop was available. Others seem to love it.
Thanks for for helping us make the decision. Juliana

Resort choice is such a personal decision that I would also recommend staying at each before making your purchase. That said:

We are team BLT (and own there)! We personally prefer it to VGF for many reasons - way shorter walk to MK (and don’t have to pass the smokers🤢); better points chart; super convenient sky bridge from BLT to Contemporary makes catching the monorail a breeze. Getting anywhere at VGF is not as convenient. Another consideration if you eventually want to book the larger accommodations - booking a 1/2 bedroom is way easier at BLT than VGF since there are far fewer at VGF.

We also love the kitchenette in the BLT studios far more than the deluxe studio kitchenette at VGF (we’ve never stayed at the resort studios).VGF deluxe studios have two showers which some find helpful. Our youngest will be 16 soon, and she also prefers BLT. We definitely can’t wait for the refurb!

Caveat: we have a pool at home, so we don’t really care about our resort pools. Our overall favorite WDW home resort is BCV, but that’s for another thread…🙃😬
I was team BLT too but I couldn't shake him even with cheaper points and better value overall. His love for VGF ultimately won but I do plan to stay at BLT for sure! That one bedroom seems perfect as that studio is awfully tight for anymore than 2. Thanks again. Juliana

Welcome!

We own both BLT and VGF. We have a 5 yo daughter. We've stayed several times at BLT and our first stay at VGF was early April (after Easter break) so the crowds had somewhat diminished. I really thought VGF was my "new favorite resort" until I experienced and compared the transportation to BLT. We are a heavy MK family with a 5 yo. You can't beat the walk from BLT.

I think it partly depends on when you will be travelling and your desired room size.

Thoughts on BLT:
- The 1 BR at BLT has 2 full bathrooms which is important for us
- rooms are a bit dated but refurb should take care of that.
- The pull-out couch isn't overly comfortable, but I think the refurb will take care of that.
- the pool is ok but I like that only BLT guests can use it so it may ease the burden of finding pool chairs and crowding.
- you can't beat the walk to MK.
- some really good resale contract pricing right now. I believe prices go up after the refurb and demand for bookings increases after refurb
- 1 BR LV seems easy to book at 7 months so may not need home resort priority for this

Thoughts on VGF:
- beautiful resort
- beautiful rooms.
- pool and beach area was nice. A bit difficult to find chairs mid-afternoon
- all of the above positives were counterbalanced by the monorail. We were not there during peak time and the monorail to MK would be full. When returning from the MK after fireworks, we would have packed monorails as well and most people were getting off at TTC. In fact, CMs were directing people from the direct monorail line to the resort one which increased wait times and crowding for resort guests. Even for GF hotel guests paying close to $1k/night, the monorail situation has a lot to be desired. One car should be dedicated to VGF. All I could think about was that I wished I was staying at BLT and walking back.

TBH, if I wasn't considering buying Poly Tower, I would definitely pick up more BLT resale at these prices. GL deciding. Both are great choices!
We so appreciate your thoughtful response. It really helped us break up the pros and cons and affirm some of what we were already thinking. We have opted for the VGF at this time but for sure will be staying at BLT and who knows maybe like you we will buy there too! Juliana

While BLT is very nice, for me it's VGF all the way, after falling in love with the Grand Floridian when we stayed there for the first time in 1994. Being able to walk to MK was the big benefit of BLT for many years, but now you can also walk from GF, and while it is a slightly longer walk it is much more beautiful and enjoyable, and you're not walking alongside and crossing busy roads where you have to be very vigilant about your kids.

It was a hard decision as there is real value in BLT right now - less $ and more points to gain on the resale market but my fiancé loves the VGF so money couldn't shake him off that love. So VGF it is! Thanks again. Juliana
Good luck w/ ROFR.
If you run the numbers on an excel spreadsheet BLT will likely ‘look’ better on paper than VGF - costs less to buy there & takes fewer points to stay there.
But DVC isn’t just about money & I own at VGF because I really like staying at the resort. My purchase there was very much about what I wanted & because staying there makes me happy I was willing to go w/ my heart & ignore my spreadsheet.
I like being surrounded by lawn & landscaping, I like walking into the quiet villa building’s multistory lobby & smiling at the whimsical penguin fountain, I like the short stroll to Narcoossees, Citricos, the Cafe, I think the stroll to/from MK is serene v. BLT’s need to cross the street & walk by the busy bus terminal, I like hanging out in front of Gasparillas to watch the fireworks, having a quick drink in the main building’s lobby at the Enchanted Rose, taking the resort boat to/from MK or the Poly. I like watching the monorails glide by my villa.
IMG_4989.jpeg

Good luck w/ ROFR.
If you run the numbers on an excel spreadsheet BLT will likely ‘look’ better on paper than VGF - costs less to buy there & takes fewer points to stay there.
But DVC isn’t just about money & I own at VGF because I really like staying at the resort. My purchase there was very much about what I wanted & because staying there makes me happy I was willing to go w/ my heart & ignore my spreadsheet.
I like being surrounded by lawn & landscaping, I like walking into the quiet villa building’s multistory lobby & smiling at the whimsical penguin fountain, I like the short stroll to Narcoossees, Citricos, the Cafe, I think the stroll to/from MK is serene v. BLT’s need to cross the street & walk by the busy bus terminal, I like hanging out in front of Gasparillas to watch the fireworks, having a quick drink in the main building’s lobby at the Enchanted Rose, taking the resort boat to/from MK or the Poly. I like watching the monorails glide by my villa.
View attachment 858161
Thank you for this honest answer. You are right. My fiancé went with his heart despite my "it is a better deal at BLT" approach. So we put an offer in and now we wait. Hopefully all goes well and we too can call this home like you. Have a great day! Juliana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter