Baby was laying on concert venue floor

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
A concert goer took this picture of a baby laying on the floor during a concert. This was in the Standing Room section at La Défense Arena in Paris, France. The concert was Taylor Swift's Eras Tour.

The baby was not in carrier. The second photo does show it was wearing little protective noise cancelling ear muffs.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Does it make a difference that this was in France / Europe?

Does it make a difference this was at a Taylor Swift concert?

baby-concert-floor-taylor-swift-81720297.jpg

TaylorSwiftBabyatConcert.JPG

My friend who is from Sweden said they would leave the babies/kids in strollers napping outside of a cafe while they went and dined inside as part of their culture that the fresh air and independence is good for the child :confused3. It's not ideal parenting, but at least the kid wasn't left home alone while their parents went to a 3+ hour concert.

My friend who is from Sweden said they would leave the babies/kids in strollers napping outside of a cafe while they went and dined inside as part of their culture that the fresh air and independence is good for the child :confused3.

Yes, I've heard this was done in some part of Europe. They probably have the, "It takes a village to raise a child," attitude and everyone looks out for the kids parked outside the cafes. Someone walking over and looking at the strollers strangely would bring instant suspicion upon themselves.

So, there is a part of me wondering if someone will post later on saying, leaving a baby on the ground has been done all the time, in some part of the world, for EONS? :confused3 Baby carriers are such a new invention. That people would just swaddle the baby in a blanket and place them by their feet when tired. People just know to keep one eye on the ground in case someone has a baby laying there. :confused3

I would just be so worried that in a venue with such a large crowd, that if something made people run, that poor baby would get trampled before the mother/babysitter figured out people were running their way. :scared:

Last edited:
I would just be so worried that in a venue with such a large crowd, that if something made people run, that poor baby would get trampled before the mother/babysitter figured out people were running their way. :scared:
This logic would apply though to lots of places besides a concert, WDW is also a place where you wouldn’t think twice seeing a baby laying on the floor while everyone piles in the hub and mainsteet waiting to see the fireworks. I won’t do that anymore after being sandwiched in a slow moving wall of people when they were over. I don’t like that feeling at all.

Probably not the best idea to bring a baby to a concert and lay it on the floor. God forbid there's a stampede for some reason. On the other hand, other countries have different cultures and ideas of norms so who am I to judge?

Personally…..my babies were never on the floor anywhere in public. Putting my feelings to the side, the pictures shows that the baby is on a blanket with people standing around the baby to protect it, so it’s probably not anything irresponsible. Why the baby is there? Who knows - maybe a babysitter canceled and they had no choice and didn’t want to waste the ticket.

It’s tough for me to judge people about something like this without knowing the full story. I know people judged me because my oldest DD, when she was little, was in a stroller all the time and on a leash, because she’d run away and she was super fast. So for her protection, I did what I had to do, despite the crappy looks I’d get from people. It was either put her on a leash or have her get run over by a car - definitely a no brainer for me. But others looked at me like I was a horrible mom.

My immediate thought was a photo is just a moment in time and isn't always worth 1000 words. Was the baby put on the ground to change a diaper and the photo was taken after, but before it was picked up?
I agree that we do not get enough context from two photos to know what was going on throughout the concert.

In general, I don’t feel infants belong at a concert of that type, with large and possibly dangerous crowds. Even if the child was only on the floor for a few minutes, being in a crowd of that size is not safe, and the parents distracted by the performance would make it less so. In addition to the risk of being trampled while on the floor, adults have died at concerts standing up when the crowd moves unexpectedly and they are no longer able to breathe. The safest place in my opinion for the child would have been at home with a reliable sitter. If the child had to go along due to a last minute sitter issue, I feel they should have been in some type of sling, worn on the parent at all times while in the venue (leaving the concert floor for a safer location for diaper changes). Wearing the child would make it easier for the parent to monitor their well being.

While the fact that they have ear protection for the child is a good thing, it does make me wonder if they frequently take the child to overly loud and rowdy events. It is certainly their right to do so as the parent, but it is not something I would choose to do with any infants, or toddlers for that matter, in my care.

Yes, I've heard this was done in some part of Europe. They probably have the, "It takes a village to raise a child," and everyone looks out for the kids parked outside the cafes. Someone walking over and looking at the strollers strangely would bring instant suspicion upon thenselves.

So, there is a part of me wondering if someone will post later on saying, leaving a baby on the ground has been done all the time, in some part of the world, for EONS. Baby carriers are such a new invention. People would just swaddle the baby in a blanket and place them by their feet when tired. People just know to keep one eye on the ground in case someone has a baby laying there. :confused3

I don't trust the village.

I agree that we do not get enough context from two photos to know what was going on throughout the concert.

In general, I don’t feel infants belong at a concert of that type, with large and possibly dangerous crowds. Even if the child was only on the floor for a few minutes, being in a crowd of that size is not safe, and the parents distracted by the performance would make it less so. In addition to the risk of being trampled while on the floor, adults have died at concerts standing up when the crowd moves unexpectedly and they are no longer able to breathe. The safest place in my opinion for the child would have been at home with a reliable sitter. If the child had to go along due to a last minute sitter issue, I feel they should have been in some type of sling, worn on the parent at all times while in the venue (leaving the concert floor for a safer location for diaper changes). Wearing the child would make it easier for the parent to monitor their well being.

While the fact that they have ear protection for the child is a good thing, it does make me wonder if they frequently take the child to overly loud and rowdy events. It is certainly their right to do so as the parent, but it is not something I would choose to do with any infants, or toddlers for that matter, in my care.
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I think it's OK to have the baby at the concert. I don't care if your sitter bailed or whatever, keep the baby home. If that means you don't get to do something you want to do, "welcome to parenthood".

I don't trust the village.
Yeah - I suspect this is not happening so much anymore - most of Europe is not what it was even 10 years ago

That said I can recall in the late 80s women bringing babies in a carriage into pubs at 10 or 11 o'clock at night.
Lots of drinking and smoking and noise - very famous busy pubs in Dublin city center.
Back in those days pubs were packed solid as well so its not like there was any space for it.
Really stupid IMO, but at least the kid was in a carriage - on the floor at a concert - even Taylor Swift - not so smart.

My friend who is from Sweden said they would leave the babies/kids in strollers napping outside of a cafe while they went and dined inside as part of their culture that the fresh air and independence is good for the child :confused3. It's not ideal parenting, but at least the kid wasn't left home alone while their parents went to a 3+ hour concert.

Yeah - I suspect this is not happening so much anymore - most of Europe is not what it was even 10 years ago

That said I can recall in the late 80s women bringing babies in a carriage into pubs at 10 or 11 o'clock at night.
Lots of drinking and smoking and noise - very famous busy pubs in Dublin city center.
Back in those days pubs were packed solid as well so its not like there was any space for it.
Really stupid IMO, but at least the kid was in a carriage - on the floor at a concert - even Taylor Swift - not so smart.
It's absolutely a longstanding part of the culture there -- not just while parents dine, but also when they go into a shop or simply for babies to nap outdoors in the fresh air. No doubt people there are very used to the idea and also to looking out for some type of emergency situation with the babies.

Japan's longstanding culture of everyone looking out for children has been put into a long-running TV show that you can watch on Netflix, where toddlers are given an errand by mom or dad and the child is actually followed by an "incognito" film crew to capture the results. Residents and businesses along the route have been given a heads up this will be happening, but the fact it can even be attempted stems back to the notion rooted in their culture of looking out for children. Cute show and a great way to simply relax and watch for a few minutes.

As far as the baby on the floor at the concert, nope. Potentially dangerous, definitely germ-filled and completely unnecessary risk for an infant. The fact it's a Taylor Swift concert changes none of those things. Sometimes parenting requires some tough choices and painful sacrifices.

I have heard in some places it's customary to take your baby everywhere with you and it's not a big deal. This child does not look like a newborn so at least there's that. I would worry about hearing damage, I hope she had headphones on the child. It would have been better if the child was in a carrier. It's not something I would do, as a pp said, when you become a parent you give up a lot. I think the right thing to do would have been to stay home if she could not find a sitter.

It's absolutely a longstanding part of the culture there -- not just while parents dine, but also when they go into a shop or simply for babies to nap outdoors in the fresh air. No doubt people there are very used to the idea and also to looking out for some type of emergency situation with the babies.

Japan's longstanding culture of everyone looking out for children has been put into a long-running TV show that you can watch on Netflix, where toddlers are given an errand by mom or dad and the child is actually followed by an "incognito" film crew to capture the results. Residents and businesses along the route have been given a heads up this will be happening, but the fact it can even be attempted stems back to the notion rooted in their culture of looking out for children. Cute show and a great way to simply relax and watch for a few minutes.

As far as the baby on the floor at the concert, nope. Potentially dangerous, definitely germ-filled and completely unnecessary risk for an infant. The fact it's a Taylor Swift concert changes none of those things. Sometimes parenting requires some tough choices and painful sacrifices.
I love the Japanese kid independent errand show. SNL did a parody where she sends her boyfriend to get her makeup and stuff from the grocery store that was hilarious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter