• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April vs August your opinion

PGHDisneyfan

Im a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk
Hey all!

Wifey, I and the kids are all set to go the third week in April but are having some second thoughts. Our 7 year old has missed a bunch of school this year due to illness and lots of snow days here in the NE. We will have to pull him out for 5 days of additional missed school. Besides that, we usually have more money saved by now and are kinda behind. I travel for work and our annual trip is based on earned airline miles, and hotel points to cover the bulk of the cost. The rest is paid for by fun monies and ebay which have been a bit slow. We are kicking around the idea of waiting to go until august and just looking for some opinions. We have only ever visited the World in the spring March- May so other than heat and hurricanes what's the major difference?? Thanks in advance!!

April is sooooo much better! August is ridiculously hot, but the crowds (at end of August) are reasonable.

Thanks Mommy1! that sort of the way we are leaning and everything is already booked for april. Its not a big deal to cancel and everything is refundable its the rebooking I don't want to do!

I am also located in the NE, and we like going in July or August. My family enjoys the heat, so that's why we enjoy going then. I do find that during the summer there might be more Florida residents there, so there might be more locals. However, they start school in the middle of August, so depending on when in August you want to go, you might find the last 2 weeks in August to be a bit less crowded. Yes, it's hot, but just use common sense. Drink plenty of water, use sunscreen, and don't plan to be running through a park all day because you will be tired! Take your time, relax, take breaks in the air conditioned shops and restaurants when you need to, and everything should be fine!

Thanks Budafam! The lower crowds are appealing in August. The last few years in April weve been swamped with crowds! Seems like the cluster-group around Africa in AK right where the African musicians play and you just cant get though lol. Our boys don't do all that well in the heat but if we do the August run we would stay a few more days just to hang out in the pools and relax every third or fourth day. The other concern is that our youngest will turn 3 just before our trip and I struggle with being honest and getting him a ticket and saying hes still 2 since Disney has made a bundle on us over the past 8 years.

August is way to hot for me and my family. Makes the trip much less enjoyable for us. My daughter is especially miserable. Our last trip to WDW was April 2014 (Easter Week). It was crowded but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Late April may have been crowded in previous years because the timing of Easter. This year Easter is April 5 so I have a feeling all of the Easter/Spring Break crowds will have cleared out by late April. That and the fact that the weather in Florida in April is gorgeous...and August is oppressive heat/humidity and possibly being rained out...I'd stick to April if you can afford it.

FWIW the third week in April is school vacation week here in Massachusetts. (The 3rd Monday is Patriots Day - a state holiday). Perhaps Maine, too.

Lower crowds last week of August. But like PPs said, a lot hotter and more humid.

I live in Florida. If you can avoid the heat of the day, it won't be so bad. Maybe plan something indoors or in the water from like 11-2ish if possible. That would be a good time of day to take a break, grab lunch.
If you can't avoid being inside or somewhere cool during that time, try to stay cool and hydrated.
You might find the humidity oppressive.

The weather in April would be better in my opinion, but it could be very busy if you go during Easter or Spring Break time. I know several people have said that the second half of August isn't bad, but it might be a little busier this year because Labor Day is later than usual.

We're also having a hard time deciding when to go. Is spring typically a better time for discounts?

Last edited:
As someone that has been to WDW in August, I say if you can go in April, go :laughing:; especially if your week doesn't overlap with Easter which brings some of the highest prices and crowds of the year.
August does have some benefits though, particularly the later in August you go. Value season prices kick in and the crowds are lower. You definitely have to have a plan for the heat, humidity, and those afternoon downpours. Our last trip was in May and we fell in love with spring weather at Disney. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely hot most days; but no where near as humid and rainy as August. But with a good plan and touring strategy, August is definitely doable. We may end up going back to Disney in August next year as we have a couple big things to celebrate that month :sunny:

We're also having a hard time deciding when to go. Is spring typically a better time for discounts?
I believe I've seen discounts for late April/May in the past, but as AlexisMaxMommy said the March spring breaks and Easter week are usually pretty busy.

Hey Gang,
Thanks so very much for all your advice, talking to my wife we are really leaning toward April again for at least one more year then maybe bumping to August in the next year or so as the kids get older. I personally don't mind the heat especially as I look out across my deck at 7 degrees in Pittsburgh today. I think I found a way to swing some spare funds into play and I forgot that we signed up for the Disney Chase card so we have another $200 gift card to put towards over all expenses. Thank you all so much for tossing in your 2 cents I really appreciate your opinions!!! See ya April 17-25!!

Have fun! Both my husband's and my younger daughter's birthdays fall in that week ;) so I wish I would be seeing you there! Unfortunately not this year :(

I would pick April over August ANYTIME...Warm VS HOT, HOT, HOT! But then again, the crowds don't daunt us, we go Christmas week many times. If you FP and plan your days, completely enjoyable!

I'm a Florida native. I can tell you firsthand that April temps are much more tolerable than August weather, and tend to be less rainy and unpredictable in terms of weather. Humidity is also a lot less too (that's the insufferable part :rolleyes2). You kind of have to time it right, because if you hit it too early in April you hit both Easter crowds and spring break crowds, but if you can manage to make it over there in mid- to late-April, I think that you'll be fine. August is manageable as well if you know what you're doing but I definitely prefer the springtime!

I'll be there April 23rd - May 7th. What will crowd levels be like. It's a bit earlier that we normally go.

We went last year over labor day, and usually we go over July 4th. I have been to Walt Disney in October(pool was cold). Summertime is hot but my family would rather go when its hot to enjoy the pool and water parks, than fall or spring. We keep a bottled water with us, and plan lunch, shows, swimming, inside character meet and greets, in the afternoon. You do not want to find yourself at Epcot just walking around the countries in the afternoon. LOL! You can make it better or worse! LOL!

OH Sorry I didn't see where you had already decided. Have fun! Sounds like a good choice to me! Won't be cold or terrible hot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter