Anyone else concerned about One Man's Dream in DHS?

It's kind of funny to me how folks are arguing that One Man's Dream should be left alone and not be changed. Do you all realize that it's been there for less than 14 years? It opened on 10/1/2001 when they kicked off the celebration of Walt Disney's 100th birthday. So the Studios was open for 12-1/2 years before this attraction came to be.

Several of you have suggested that it ought to go in MK. Guess what? That's exactly where it used to be. Formerly called The Walt Disney Story, it occupied the very first building on the right as you enter the park after passing under the train station. It was in the spot now occupied by that theater-themed gift shop and the magician Mickey meet and greet (I think that's what is still there). You entered into a long room filled with cases of Disney history and memorabilia. Then you went into a theater for a 25-minute film. That let you out into another room that featured models, artwork, and more focus on current and future development. For example, in the early 1980's, it was the EPCOT preview center. In the mid-90s, it was the AK preview center.

All of that said, I totally and completely agree that it should be maintained in some form in one of the parks. Honestly, I don't care which. AK would probably be my last choice just because I think it fits better in one of the others. But ultimately, some tribute to Walt has been present since day one. I suspect they will give it new life in a new location. I hope it isn't gone for long.

DisneySteve is right. When I started going in the early to mid 70's this was a good place to stop both on the way in and out of the park.

It was always intended to be a "space filler" until something else came along. With the major overhaul of DHS coming, the "something else" is now here. After Disney spends $3 billion re-building DHS and completely transforms it and re-themes it, you won't miss the exhibit. There will be plenty of new stuff to see and do. If they keep it, it should move back to the Magic Kingdom or to Epcot. I always preferred it in the Magic Kingdom. But Epcot would be a good alternative, since the whole concept of the exhibit is to show us Walt's dreams. He never dreamed of DHS. It was never on his radar. His dreams were always about the MK and Epcot. Especially the latter. So I would find space for it there. Perhaps add a permanent exhibition area to the American Pavilion (like the Bijutsu-kan Gallery in Japan) that could house it.

Is there a date as to when it will be gone? I'm hoping to see it in October. I will be so sad if I've missed my chance. I'm from the west coast so I don't get to Florida often.

I'm assuming it will be gone in October which is when I'm going too. So disappointing as my friends have never been and I wanted them to know how it all began. Fingers crossed they put it somewhere else!

I am really sad about these closing. My favorite souvenirs are our drawings from the Animation Academy, and we have seen One Man's Dream more times than I can count and have always been inspired by it and felt Walt's spirit there. I really hope these will find a home in whatever the reimagined Studios will be. If OMD reopened in Epcot, I would still be glad that it survived, but I think it really belongs in Studios (or whatever it will be called). To paraphrase - I hope they don't lose sight of one thing - it all started with Walt Disney!

I am really sad about these closing. My favorite souvenirs are our drawings from the Animation Academy, and we have seen One Man's Dream more times than I can count and have always been inspired by it and felt Walt's spirit there. I really hope these will find a home in whatever the reimagined Studios will be. If OMD reopened in Epcot, I would still be glad that it survived, but I think it really belongs in Studios (or whatever it will be called). To paraphrase - I hope they don't lose sight of one thing - it all started with Walt Disney!

Why does it belong in the studios?

Why does it belong in the studios?
Especially if the "Studios" ceases to be the "Studios" and gets rethemed.

I think the suggestion that it belongs there mainly arises out of familiarity. That's where it's been for 13 years so that's where people expect it to be. Personally, it always seemed out of place to me since in my mind, it belongs in Magic Kingdom where it was originally.

I think the suggestion that it belongs there mainly arises out of familiarity. That's where it's been for 13 years so that's where people expect it to be. Personally, it always seemed out of place to me since in my mind, it belongs in Magic Kingdom where it was originally.

I think it was (tenuously) linked to the Studios cinematic history. Obviously, if studios gets rethemed to be more like California Adventure, it won't fit there.

I would love to see it in Magic Kingdom.

I was thinking of Walt's early career and achievements in animation and movies when I said it belongs in Studios. If the retheming of DHS means there is no longer the animation/movies central focus, then it wouldn't really matter where they put it. It's all inspired by Walt and his vision, so I really don't care where they put it, I would just like to see it still there.

I think it was (tenuously) linked to the Studios cinematic history. Obviously, if studios gets rethemed to be more like California Adventure, it won't fit there.

I would love to see it in Magic Kingdom.
I think you're right about the cinematic history and how Disney fits. As you know, it all started with a Mouse in the movies. It wasn't until much later in Walt's career that we got the theme parks.

However, the recreated California Adventure still has lots of historic Hollywood and I don't think something like "One Man's Dream" would at all be out of place.

I think you're right about the cinematic history and how Disney fits. As you know, it all started with a Mouse in the movies. It wasn't until much later in Walt's career that we got the theme parks.

However, the recreated California Adventure still has lots of historic Hollywood and I don't think something like "One Man's Dream" would at all be out of place.

I agree Jeff. If/when the area is rethemed I don't think that OMD will fit into that area, if it is indeed Pixar themed. But overall, I think it would work really well closer to the Sunset Boulevard area.

So much depends on what exactly they decide to do with the space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter