Any adults order off the kids menu - counter-service?

aring75

DIS Veteran
I've been reading WDW menus for various counter-service restaurants. Many of them have statements on the kids menu saying "reserved for Mickey's little friends," etc.

Is this strictly enforced? I'm sorry, but there are times that I just can't eat a whole lot. Especially on those hot, humid days!! Some of the items for kids look like just enough, and I can't see paying for a huge basket of chicken and fries ($9.00:( ) when I won't even eat half of it anyway!!

What do you think? I wouldn't try to do this at a nicer "sit-down" restaurant, but when you're just talking about a quick sandwich . . . ?

aring75

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I've never done it myself, but I don't see why you couldn't. For that matter, if nothing appealed to you on the adult menu at a sit down restaurant I think you could order off the kid's menu. It's your money, spend it how you want.

Yup. We have done that at counter restaurants~ done it at McDonald's for Disney glasses and toys, too, in the past. :p

I've done it. I usually do go get a seat and DH orders, so they don't know who the food is for anyway.

Don't forget that you can also order any item on the menu by itself instead of in a combo. If you're hungry for a chicken sandwich and no fries (or you just want to share fries with someone else getting a basket), you can order just the sandwich without any problems. The price for the sandwich usually isn't on the menu, but the price for the fries is, so just subtract the price of the fries from the combo price for a general idea of what you'll pay. Disney doesn't really save you any money with the combos like McDonald's or other restaurants do.

I always order a kid's meal at counter service! Often my boyfriend and I will split one as a snack, or I'll get one instead of a big meal. The portions are usually more than enough. :)

A kids meal is fine for me too. The adults meals are just far too much for me. I ordered the kids meal every time I used a counter service restaurant on my last vacation. It wasn't until my last day that I noticed the little part about "reserved for Mickey's little friends," etc. No-one said anything to me about it at all. So I won't hesitate to do the same on my next vacation to WDW.

Ona ;)

My favorite kids meals are at the Cantina in Mexico (Burrito, chips, churro and drink for around $3.50) and China (egg roll, fried rice and drink for around $3.50).

I've ordered these for myself many times, and they've never said anything about it!
:D

So I guess the "Mickey's little friends" clause is more a suggestion? I know WDW wants to get as much money as it can from its guests, but there's really no way of regulating counter service orders. Who knows whether or not you have a five-year-old waiting patiently for his Mickey PB&J?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ordered off the kids menu at a sit-down restaurant? How did WDW react to this?

I have ordered off the kid's menu at Beaches and Cream so I would have room for the Kitchen Sink. My Dad was not impressed with the menu at Prime Time so he ordered 2 kid's meals for himself.
The sit down places don't frown on sharing of meals so I don't think an adult ordering a kid's meal would be a problem either.
My grandmother intends on getting the Kid's meals at sit downs on our next trip. She has a very small appetite. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.;)

DW & I really like the chicken tenders at WDW & order the child's portion when we can. It's actually a much better deal for those like us who like to split our meals, anyway.
Example: Electric Umbrella
regular order of chicken tenders (4) with fries 6.49, small soda 1.99 total about 8.50

child's order chicken tenders (2) with fries & child-size soda 3.49
total about 7.00 for 2 orders.

We get the fries with one order & substitute fruit with the other (for a balanced meal--LOL!)

We started doing this not to be cheap, but so we could have both fries & fruit when we shared our beloved WDW chicken tenders.

I've ordered the kids meal at the American Pavillion a couple of times. We just wanted a small snack in the afternoon before having dinner around 4:30-5:00. One time I was at AK with 3 friends and we ordered kids meals at McD! Took the toy home to my nephew.

I successfully ordered a kids meal of pasta at Mama Melrose's. It was no problem at all.

How do they know who you are ordering if for (unless you tell them)?? I plan on ordering kids meals while at WDW for counter service and at a couple sit downs.

Okay, that settles it. I'm just going to order what I darn well please. LOL ;)

Thanks for all the input and reinforcements!!!

I don't think I've ever ordered an adult meal anywhere in Disney. The only place I had a "problem" (and it really wasn't) was at the restaurant at the Contemporary (can't remember the name). They told me I could order off the children's menu, but they would have to "upscale" it, which basically meant throwing a piece of lettuce and tomato on the side of the plate and charging me $2 more. (Like my extra 2 bucks is gonna make or break the company :rolleyes: ) Go figure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter