Anxious About the New System

I strongly suggest that anyone who may possibly need an ECV, rent one from off-site ahead of time. The parks will definitely run out, and early in the day. Even off-site places will sell out.

Remember, there is a difference between surviving Disney and really enjoying it. There is no reason for your husband to push himself and be so tired when he can use an ECV and have more energy for the things that really matter.

If there is something OTHER than fatigue/stamina that will affect your husband and dad, then definitely ask about a DAS for them. But even with that, an ECV will help a ton. There is still a lot of standing, even with the DAS - fireworks, parades, restaurants, buses/trains/boats, anything outside the parks, and the lines after you return (FP entrance usually).

Hope you have a great trip.

I cosign on getting the offsite rental booked soon given the week you're going. Most sites only have a 2 day minimum, so if you decide your husband doesn't need it, you can return it. But if he does, you're covered, and at a much better price than day to day at the parks.

As to not worrying the kids, they may notice more if you're stopping a lot for him to catch his breath that something is not right, so that's something to consider. Disney is a big place, and ECVs will be EVERYWHERE that week, so I would think it not too hard to convince the kids that Dad's scooter is nothing out of the ordinary.

I hope you and your family have a truly blessed time!

Also, plan to make your FP+ reservations in advance and use the DAS to supplement those. Have a great trip!

I might re-think your dates. It is a great thing that your son overcame his fears of Christmas at WDW, and you'd like to relive those memories and/or continue a tradition, but realistically you will have a much easier and better trip if you go in early December. The decorations are up and it will feel very Christmas-y minus the hordes of people.

I might re-think your dates. It is a great thing that your son overcame his fears of Christmas at WDW, and you'd like to relive those memories and/or continue a tradition, but realistically you will have a much easier and better trip if you go in early December. The decorations are up and it will feel very Christmas-y minus the hordes of people.

As a parent of a child with ASD, I can't like this suggestion enough!! Crowds were always a problem for our daughter when she was younger. We'd bring her stroller til she was 7 just to give her a buffer from crowds. We go in the summer, and our older dd was old enough at that point where she couldn't miss that much school, or we would have gone at a much slower time.

I am firmly in this camp as well. Remember that WDW has the holiday decorations up from mid-Nov to early Jan. You can go earlier in December, experience the same "holiday magic" and have the parks almost to yourselves AND with cheaper prices.

Sell it to the kids as a way to get xmas twice - once early at WDW and once at home. Plus you'll save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

It sounds like you'll be sticking together, so I wouldn't fuss about a DAS for your husband. If your son qualifies, his is enough for all 4 of you. My daughter and I both qualify and we went with a DAS for me and a stroller-as-wheelchair tag for her and had no issues.

I also would join in the chorus of rethinking your dates to earlier in December. All the Christmas things are there -and there is the MVMCP - so much fun. You may even be able to snag a free dining room if they come out with them next year. Another idea is putting Christmas at the end of the trip so you're not there between Christmas and New Year's. I think you said you've been there before at that time so you may know what the crowds are like. However it's like exponentially better when the crowds are NOT there - lol! And I'm one who goes typically over Spring Break and 4th of July - due to the school calendar and a conference we typically attend. So yeah I know sometimes you just can't change your schedule. ;)

Your Son's DAS will cover your husbands needs too.
As you can not double up on DAS times and each DAS ends up linked to each band.
We went in September just after I had my head surgery 1 round of chemo and 4 months of Iv treatment through a picc, so i was rather weak at the time.
They was great about getting me a DAS and we also have a son with aspergers so he got one too, we would not have needed 2 however I like rides that my son does not.
Even though they don't generally give put DAS for stamina issues when going through treatment we have other " side effects" then tiredness and when I explained that I was having side effects from the medicines that caused me to need to leave the line at times, or to not be in long lines they understood.
Xmas is manic, if you have your heart absolutely set then just be prepared for a completely different trip then normal.
Make the most of the beautiful resort and do there activities.
Get to the park before opening so your one of the first to enter and then you should get at least your fast pass rides and a few more done then leave at lunchtime as it's probably going to be too much.
If you can I'd definitely look into changing your dates to before Xmas or even earlier in December.
It would make life alot easier on you all, main things is make memories and enjoy your time together, have a great trip no matter what you decide.
And let disney know at guest services if your struggling with the accommodations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter