AKV-Jambo or SSR for a short, no parks trip??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I am tentatively planning a short trip to WDW for my 50th birthday and I am trying to decide on a resort. I own at AKV so I have stayed there MANY times. I have never stayed at SSR since I don't particularly care for the layout. I love OKW, but it feels a little smaller and the room size/points chart is much better than SSR.

I told DH that I want to take this quick, no-parks trip for my birthday under 2 conditions: there has to be a MNSSHP offered ON my birthday AND the waitlist that I put in for the tower studio at Riviera has to fillpixiedust:. On a whim, I noticed that there was availability (there was none yesterday) for a standard studio at Jambo House so I booked it! It must have been the last one since it no longer shows available. Now I have a decision to make. IF there is a halloween party on my birthday, and IF my hubby says "let's go!", I am not 100% sure that I want to stay at Jambo House...again.

The plan would be to arrive on a Tuesday and go to the Hoop-Dee-Do for dinner since DH has never seen it. The next day (Wed) would be the only day we could do MNSSHP so we would head to the MK around 4 for the party. Thursday would be a "recover" day and we would do Topolino's for dinner. Friday morning, we'd have a flight departing around 9am so we would be up and out early.

From a transportation perspective, I would say that AKV vs SSR is pretty much a draw based on our plans since we would probably be using Uber/Lyft to get to our dining destinations and the bus would get us to the MK for the party. I plan to get a few groceries for our breakfasts and based on our dinner plans, we would probably need QS at the resort for lunch/snacks. We like the Mara, but I am not familiar with the CS offerings at SSR...but I also know that Disney Springs has several good choices too.

I am leaning towards SSR, simply because I have never stayed there, but I am wondering if there are disadvantages that I am not considering. FWIW, I will be returning in December with my BFF and she is also interested in possibly staying at SSR so I may still have the opportunity.

Thoughts and opinions please...:hippie:

^THIS
And Also- The schedule for this year's MNSSHP isn't out yet, but in the past it has not been held on Wednesdays.

To the question of where to stay, AKL or SSR, I'm a fan of SSR.
Yeah.....that's what I was thinking too.
I couldn't remember if HDD was dark on Su/Mo or Mo/Tues...Well, poo!
...and as far as MNSSHP goes, we can't do the Tuesday because our flight is not scheduled to land until 4:30pm. Thursday night is also a no-go because our flight home departs at 9am. Wednesday was the only option.

Ah, well...at least I am going in December and I will get to attend my very first MVMCP and Candlelight Processional.

I own AKV as well. I would’ve said it’s a no brainer for resort stay only at AKV. Since you’ve never stayed at SSR, that would probably be a good pick.

Yeah.....that's what I was thinking too.
I couldn't remember if HDD was dark on Su/Mo or Mo/Tues...Well, poo!
...and as far as MNSSHP goes, we can't do the Tuesday because our flight is not scheduled to land until 4:30pm. Thursday night is also a no-go because our flight home departs at 9am. Wednesday was the only option.

Ah, well...at least I am going in December and I will get to attend my very first MVMCP and Candlelight Processional.
Last year MNSSHP was only held on Wednesday one time, for the final party November 1.

I think your best bet is to just wait until this year's schedule comes out. It should be soon. People on another thread are predicting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, slight change of plans...
Now that the MNSSHP dates have been announced, I decided to shift from a Tu-Fri stay to a M-Thur stay. I will still have the full day at WDW on my birthday, but it will be the day after the halloween party.

The plan now is to fly in on Monday (arriving at 12:30pm:thumbsup2) and hang out for the afternoon. Tuesday will be the MNSSHP day and Wednesday with be the day to recover and have my birthday dinner at Topolino's. Then the flight home departs at 10am on Thursday.

The flights for this plan are a little more expensive, but the times are better. I would LOVE to do Topolino's for dinner ON my birthday, but since DH has never been to the HDDR, I may opt to do that as my "birthday" dinner since Wednesday would be the only night we could do it. We could have Topolino's for dinner on our arrival night instead.

There's a hitch in my plans...

Right now, I still have Tu-Fri confirmed at AKV-Jambo, but Monday night was not available so I had to set up a 1-night waitlist. I see that there is still full availability at SSR (and OKW as another acceptable backup). If we stay at AKV, there is a studio at Kidani available too, but since we are staying "standard view", I would really prefer to be at Jambo. I'd actually prefer to try SSR over Kidani...I've stayed at Kidani quite a bit (for me) recently and it's been years since I stayed at Jambo. DH has not been to WDW since 2016 so he hasn't even seen the Riviera! I am REALLY hoping that the tower studio comes through over there...but I am not holding my breath.

Have you thought of the cabins at Fort wilderness? Just thinking it's close to your entertainment.

They wouldn't be my choice. My DH would probably break a few toes walking from the bedroom to the bathroom during the night.

Have you thought of the cabins at Fort wilderness? Just thinking it's close to your entertainment.

They wouldn't be my choice. My DH would probably break a few toes walking from the bedroom to the bathroom during the night.
Yes, I considered them, but I am trying to keep our point usage to a minimum as we only own 100 points (at WDW...also 50 at HHI, but borrowed out through 2025 already). I am planning a "larger" trip next year...hopefully, our husbands will be open to coming along. I want to bank as many points as possible so that we can get a 1BR (minimum) or minimize the amount of points we will need to transfer.

Last edited:
I just did a short MLK trip SS this January, 2024, and actually loved the resort! The studio felt massive, and I liked that we were near the QS/main pool area (preferred, forget if it's Congress Park or something else.) Anyway, we did a quick load of laundry, enjoyed a VERY hearty breakfast at Artist's Pallette, and loved our (small) balcony. The pools are great, and the resort was very peaceful. I don't like the layout of the 1B/2B there with all the weird doorways to bathrooms and such, but the studio was really excellent. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat, especially if you're tired of AK.

Yes, I considered them, but I am trying to keep our point usage to a minimum as we only own 100 points. I am planning a "larger" trip next year...hopefully, our husbands will be open to coming along. I want to bank as many points as possible so that we can get a 1BR (minimum) or minimize the amount of points we will need to transfer.
yeah, I know that stretch the points thinking. We have 300 points, and until the last two years , we always stayed in a studio for us, so we could bank/borrow to take a trip with kids and grandkids. Need lots of points for 12 people.

UPDATE: My hubby said "Let's Go!":dancer:

Now the planning (and the questioning) begins!
First off...I see that the DVC Member MK Fireworks cruise only held on Wednesdays. Lo and behold, that's my birthday!pixiedust: With the shift in dates, Wednesday also happens to be the only night we can do Hoop-De-Doo....but CAN we do both?? I think we would have to do the early show of HDDR (4:00) which is not my preference, but since we aren't doing any parks, we definitely have time. I do not know what time the fireworks show starts, but I don't think we would have a problem taking the boat from FW over to the Contemporary and getting there in time for the cruise.

Here's my tentative itinerary:

Monday: arrive at MCO at 12:30, Town car (with grocery stop) to resort (TBD); grab a light lunch to tide us over until dinner at Topolino's.
Tuesday: Breakfast in the room, then chill at the resort and head over to Geyser Point around 2pm for a late lunch/early dinner before going to MNSSHP at 4pm.
Wednesday: Sleep in until we wake up and then eat a light breakfast in the room. Head over to FW (via Uber/Lyft) by 3pm for the 4pm Hoop-De-Doo and then take the boat to the Contemporary afterwards for the DVC MK fireworks cruise.
Thursday: Light breakfast in the room with a towncar pickup scheduled for 6:30am for our flight departing at 9am.

Hopefully, this will be a good balance of down time and Disney stuff. DH has not been to WDW since 2016 because he is not interested in the "go-go-go" of park touring anymore. He likes the parks, but he is not big on crowds or waiting in line...kind of like a 55-year-old toddler. I think this itinerary might be enough to reignite his spark and hopefully not turn him off to going to the parks next year. I am not worried about the limited (or none, really) park time because I will be returning in December with my BFF and we will be there for a week.

UPDATE: My hubby said "Let's Go!":dancer:

Now the planning (and the questioning) begins!
First off...I see that the DVC Member MK Fireworks cruise only held on Wednesdays. Lo and behold, that's my birthday!pixiedust: With the shift in dates, Wednesday also happens to be the only night we can do Hoop-De-Doo....but CAN we do both?? I think we would have to do the early show of HDDR (4:00) which is not my preference, but since we aren't doing any parks, we definitely have time. I do not know what time the fireworks show starts, but I don't think we would have a problem taking the boat from FW over to the Contemporary and getting there in time for the cruise.

Here's my tentative itinerary:

Monday: arrive at MCO at 12:30, Town car (with grocery stop) to resort (TBD); grab a light lunch to tide us over until dinner at Topolino's.
Tuesday: Breakfast in the room, then chill at the resort and head over to Geyser Point around 2pm for a late lunch/early dinner before going to MNSSHP at 4pm.
Wednesday: Sleep in until we wake up and then eat a light breakfast in the room. Head over to FW (via Uber/Lyft) by 3pm for the 4pm Hoop-De-Doo and then take the boat to the Contemporary afterwards for the DVC MK fireworks cruise.
Thursday: Light breakfast in the room with a towncar pickup scheduled for 6:30am for our flight departing at 9am.

Hopefully, this will be a good balance of down time and Disney stuff. DH has not been to WDW since 2016 because he is not interested in the "go-go-go" of park touring anymore. He likes the parks, but he is not big on crowds or waiting in line...kind of like a 55-year-old toddler. I think this itinerary might be enough to reignite his spark and hopefully not turn him off to going to the parks next year. I am not worried about the limited (or none, really) park time because I will be returning in December with my BFF and we will be there for a week.
Sounds wonderful.

I don't know about the DVC fireworks cruise. Is this something new?

Personally, I think getting around overall not including parks would be much easier staying at SSR than Jambo. Plus, SSR has the added plus of being able to walk to Disney Springs anytime, day or night - whether for shopping, drinks, watch some entertainment, or just walk around and people watch.

If you stay in SSR in a room in the Congress Park, or end of Paddock next to Congress Park, sections, you could actually get around to and from various other resorts by walking to and from the Disney Springs bus stops. Might save you some money Ubering/Lyfting around - you could take them one-way to get there on time, then just take the resort bus back to Disney Springs, and walk back home to Saratoga.

Personally, I think getting around overall not including parks would be much easier staying at SSR than Jambo. Plus, SSR has the added plus of being able to walk to Disney Springs anytime, day or night - whether for shopping, drinks, watch some entertainment, or just walk around and people watch.

If you stay in SSR in a room in the Congress Park, or end of Paddock next to Congress Park, sections, you could actually get around to and from various other resorts by walking to and from the Disney Springs bus stops. Might save you some money Ubering/Lyfting around - you could take them one-way to get there on time, then just take the resort bus back to Disney Springs, and walk back home to Saratoga.
Are Congress Park and the Paddock considered preferred? If I opt for SSR, I want to make sure that proximity to DS is the priority.

Congress Park is preferred category. It is the closest. Paddock is standard - some Paddock buildings would be quite a bit farther away - so for Disney Springs proximity you would want to request Building 12, with building 11 being the second choice. Building 12 is very close to Congress Park, and is closer to the Congress Park bus stop than the Paddock bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter