• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

I've always wondered that myself.

That week is very expensive. I think it's to get people, like my family, to extend their trip by a few days. If we usually arrive on 12/24 and instead come on 12/23, that's more money in their pocket. Food is the easiest thing to markup—we're now paying for an additional night at the resort, another day at the parks, etc. etc.

Disneylover99 and wdwmaw ...Since you have done this several times, was it manageable. I am going no matter what as my daughter is playing with her high school band that we. The free dining would allow me to stay a few days longer. However, I am really worried about my five year old son who is not the biggest fan of waiting in lines. I’ve done so much research but I don’t know what else to do.

Last edited:
In the past a 2 day hopper has been required for free dining. I've been reading that this might change, maybe to a 4 day hopper? Is that what other have read too?

Why do South American agents get advance notice of the promo but other markets don’t?

I don't know why we're last to get the deal but I would venture to guess FD has to split for the different countries to keep the offers straight. I would also go one step further and presume the average visitor from UK or South America is spending a lot more money on their vacation to Disney than me driving in and staying for 2-4 days at a time so they follow the money and a visitor from abroad will likely have to do a lot more advance planning to get here than someone in the states.

You can buy tickets for everyone at the lower number of days, then add days to the tickets that need it at the park/resort.
One thing to note is that you will only have the 60 day FP option for the length of the tickets. (to my understanding)

People say it gets harder and harder to book free dining every year and there is less room inventory. That's true.
I believe it's a result of all this pre-booking.

Wasn't the modify/change button just added to online reservations a few years ago? Prior to that, it was much easier to secure free dining. Disney is only releasing fewer rooms because they have fewer rooms to release.

I actually think the inventory of rooms has decreased not so much due to pre-booking (as I think Disney has caught on that people will cancel rooms anyway) as they are anticipating some attrition but more so because Disney has less and less incentive to offer the promo since the parks are more packed than ever during these times, these were deals to aid during the economic downturn and during travel scares. It's really the summer dates that Disney needs to get the resorts and parks more full and the fall/winter dates they're trying to fill up the resorts, the parks are already full on these dates. But FD is not the deal that it used to be so when FD is released a room offer deal will be too and depending on your travel preferences, the room only discount could be a better deal than FD. Bottom line I think Disney resorts just don't allocate as many rooms to FD, the pre booking probably messes up their plans some but I'm sure they know their cancellation rates

In the past a 2 day hopper has been required for free dining. I've been reading that this might change, maybe to a 4 day hopper? Is that what other have read too?
THat is a rumor that has been said but we will not know for sure whether 2 or 4 day park hopper tickets will be required until the deal drops.

Thank you! I really thought I was losing it as when I went back to find a place to point to, I can no longer find where that info was. I guess time will tell the minimum ticket length that must be purchased.

You can't find it because it was in the thread that went away, but I'm with you, the very first credible rumors had a 4-day min ticket requirement.

If I book a package for 4, me, mom, DH and DD, can me and mom check in a few days early? I know I will have to have the same package for the whole room/group, but wondering if DH and DD not being there for the first few days will be an issue.

You're in the same boat as the previous poster and you have a couple of options:

1. Book a package that includes all of you for all the days you want, including the first few days for just the two of you. This option allows you to do FP+ for all your days, but you'll be paying for tickets that some of your party won't use. IF the 4-day min ticket requirement holds or if all of you need at least that length of ticket, it's a fairly inexpensive option and the least amount of hassle. It would also give you more meals. If you upgrade to the regular DDP, you could do some signatures or have two TS meals on a couple days when you're all there.

2. Book a package for just the days that all of you will be there with just the tickets you need for those days. Book a separate room only for the two of you. When you get to Disney, you can access your tickets early and add days to them. BUT you won't have FP+ for those extra days and will only be able to get FP after you've added the days.

1. Book a package that includes all of you for all the days you want, including the first few days for just the two of you. This option allows you to do FP+ for all your days, but you'll be paying for tickets that some of your party won't use. IF the 4-day min ticket requirement holds or if all of you need at least that length of ticket, it's a fairly inexpensive option and the least amount of hassle. It would also give you more meals. If you upgrade to the regular DDP, you could do some signatures or have two TS meals on a couple days when you're all there.

This is what I was planning... DH and DD will be in WDW for 6 days, so the difference in park tickets isn't too much and if we can score FD then we will have their extra dining credits. Thanks for the response!!!

Any Canadians on this thread worried they might not see the free Dining offer drop early in the morning when it comes out?
I think I asked this before ( and started a thread on this) , but me and the others on that thread have not seen a new offer drop in a long time - even when we should have ( ie/ Aug AP not showing and I’ve never see the kids free- we as CAnadians have 2 offers, I think US has9)
Someone suggested changing to US site... but it won’t always let me do since I’m in Canada and we sometimes get different free Dining dates.
I’m just worried I might not see it drop like the past few offers that have not appeared.
I've been "in the chat room" and on the DISboards for two previous dining offers, and it dropped on the CDN website at the same time as our American friends, so I'm not concerned. In fact, we have often had a better offer than our friends to the south, with extended dates. Being on the west coast, it means trying to stay awake until 2 am rather than trying to wake up at 5!

Disneylover99 and wdwmaw ...Since you have done this several times, was it manageable. I am going no matter what as my daughter is playing with her high school band that we. The free dining would allow me to stay a few days longer. However, I am really worried about my five year old son who is not the biggest fan of waiting in lines. I’ve done so much research but I don’t know what else to do.

Do you mean Christmas crowds? Well, we enjoy it but don't go ride crazy during our Christmas trips. But if you can get to the parks super early (lots of 7am daily openings at MK) you can get lots done. Make your fp's early in the morning and keep refreshing to hopefully get more as the day rolls on. We tend to leave the parks mid day and head back later in the evening. Eat at lunch counter service locations as soon as they open....usually 10:30am. We enjoy it more when we can stay ahead of the crowds.

I don't know why we're last to get the deal but I would venture to guess FD has to split for the different countries to keep the offers straight. I would also go one step further and presume the average visitor from UK or South America is spending a lot more money on their vacation to Disney than me driving in and staying for 2-4 days at a time so they follow the money and a visitor from abroad will likely have to do a lot more advance planning to get here than someone in the states.
Just a guess, but Im guessing because of travel expenses and their time of stay, since some tend to stay two weeks or more, other countries get it early so they can book quick because the go for longer periods and it gives them time to prepare.

This is exactly how it works. I go to church with a gentleman that used to work for Disney in the department that would analyse and set up all the promotions. This is how I found out about the FD the first time they offered it in 2005! Sooo, when I saw this post, I decided to give him a call to see how it worked. We just hung up and he said the way it was done when he worked there (before he retired) in 2012: When they start finalizing the promo's, they DO an analysis of available rooms at that time for the date range and every resort they are considering FD for. They have the "original" amount of rooms they need to fill for each day/week and have the preliminary # and they know which resorts will/will not be included at that time. They do analysis periodically all the way up to the DAY before FD is released and that is when the FINAL amount of rooms are set to be available with FINAL numbers. He said, within that time frame, it is crazy how many changes they make; room availability and even adding or removing resorts entirely up until the very last day. He said the room availability, once it is time for the FD drop, is set; then the analysis is done all over again on a bi-monthly basis after FD rolls out, until the last day that its offered. With rooms being canceled, moved, etc there are times they open a few more rooms on certain dates and resorts and other times there is availability that opens just because of the cancels and moves. Bummer he doesn't work there anymore or I would have a lot more information for all of us!

But you are correct believing pre-booking causes less rooms to get the promo! It helped me to decide, not to book until FD drops even though we are going with or without FD. We may not get the resort we want (2 rooms at POP) but I will check and re-check to see if anything opens up and ultimately we will be at Disney in December!

Good luck to everyone! :tinker:Pixie dust that we all get what we want (or at least close)!
Thank you so much for this. Over my years of researching FD here, this seemed to be the common consensus until recently.(Or at least I’d taken it that way...I’d just never seen the specifics to go along with it.) Because of this line of thinking, we’ve always waited to book until “drop day” and have done so successfully each time—even booking 2 rooms each year & sometimes three. Posts last year & this year had gotten me second-guessing myself & wondering if a different tactic would be best for my family in future attempts for this offer. Seeing your post helps me see that we’d still rather take the route we’ve always gone & hope that increases the chances of more rooms being allocated to the offer. I totally understand that some people need to go ahead & book for various reasons, but because our dates are more open during the year, each year we try for FD in the future we’ll still continue to just start from scratch on drop day & hope for the best! No matter which way you choose, I hope you all get exactly what you’re hoping for!:)

I guess I am going to have to get up at 5am each day next week until FDing is launched? I already moved a meeting Monday AM until the PM.. :drinking:

Thank you so much for this. Over my years of researching FD here, this seemed to be the common consensus until recently.(Or at least I’d taken it that way...I’d just never seen the specifics to go along with it.) Because of this line of thinking, we’ve always waited to book until “drop day” and have done so successfully each time—even booking 2 rooms each year & sometimes three. Posts last year & this year had gotten me second-guessing myself & wondering if a different tactic would be best for my family in future attempts for this offer. Seeing your post helps me see that we’d still rather take the route we’ve always gone & hope that increases the chances of more rooms being allocated to the offer. I totally understand that some people need to go ahead & book for various reasons, but because our dates are more open during the year, each year we try for FD in the future we’ll still continue to just start from scratch on drop day & hope for the best! No matter which way you choose, I hope you all get exactly what you’re hoping for!:)

I also think people are pre booking because they think they're getting a significant advantage over someone that makes a reservation from scratch. Yes, it's a bit quicker to modify if everything works properly. But it doesn't take more than a minute or two to make a new reservation either. I've done both.

We are all looking for different dates, resorts, and room categories. If you're up when free dining drops, and you don't get what you want, it's most likely because it wasn't available to anyone anyways.

Honestly, I don’t recall seeing it at all. For the last week it has had “9 promotions” at the top of the page and today it said “10” and the Disney Visa was the new addition. All the others are the same as they have been. Unless we see different promos or something. But DV was definitely new for me today.
The only reason that I remembered seeing that was because I always use the control F and search for visa just to make sure I’m not overlooking the free dining for Disney visa holders. It’s been there for a week or so. I started checking when the rumors were flying about FD maybe dropping last Monday

So if I have an AP, is free dining basically something I can't get? Because you have to buy tickets? Or can I "save" my ticket and use it for a different trip (after my AP expires) or put it towards renewing my AP?

So if I have an AP, is free dining basically something I can't get? Because you have to buy tickets? Or can I "save" my ticket and use it for a different trip (after my AP expires) or put it towards renewing my AP?
Buy the minimum amount of tickets you can for FD and save your tickets for a different trip or put it towards renewing your AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter