• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12 Months of Medals: My 2015 (And Beyond!) Running Challenge

Thanks, guys. I'm just feeling a little mopey. I'm sure I'll move past it.

This did make my smile - I got this shirt for free when I renewed my RunKeeper account!

3001-free_beer_large.jpg

So. I'm just ... sad. I'm very sad.

This is a completely normal response to your current situation and you shouldn't feel bad about having those emotions right now, as someone else said ( @SarahDisney I think ) your situation sucks right now that's all there is to it, Here's the thing though the fact that this happened now is a very good thing you have plenty of time to heal up and get back into your training groove and get ready for dopey and while we are on the topic of dopey its true you wont know you can actually do it until ....well...you actually do it. All the training in the world can only prepare you so much but here is the thing I have learned about you in my short time here...you sure as heck aren't going to let a silly little thing like this be a reason to stop you. I am sending all the good runner vibes I can your way and hope you heal up quick in the meantime here is something to make you giggle
tumblr_m7btfi8R5B1rp77ejo1_500.jpg

@Keels if it makes you feel any better, I was injured for the first 3 weeks of September and ran maybe 3 miles during that time - during what was supposed to be my first full week of Dopey training I ran zero miles.

I remember feeling so incredibly sorry for myself, and just really *off*. I know there were tears. So I can relate to what you're feeling.

Once I was able to, I reassessed, scrapped my old plan, laid out a new one, and finished Dopey. All is not lost, my friend. :hug:

Thanks again, guys.

Definitely a better day today. Actually left the house for a while (even went to the baseball game last night, even though my team lost - again!), walked around a bunch and did some errands (namely, buy pants/capris that cover my knees for my trip on Sunday) and I feel pretty good, all things considered.

My right knee is really starting to look better, so hopefully I'll be off bandages on that one next week when I get back from Cincinnati and it really will just be the remnants of "road rash".

The left? Well, it's still a hot mess and it will be at least another week until I can even start counting down to bandage-free days.

Hopefully, I can get back on the treadmill to start putting in some walking miles within the next 10 days. That may be too optimistic, but I've got to have something positive on the horizon to keep my spirits up.

Thanks again, guys.

Definitely a better day today. Actually left the house for a while (even went to the baseball game last night, even though my team lost - again!), walked around a bunch and did some errands (namely, buy pants/capris that cover my knees for my trip on Sunday) and I feel pretty good, all things considered.

My right knee is really starting to look better, so hopefully I'll be off bandages on that one next week when I get back from Cincinnati and it really will just be the remnants of "road rash".

The left? Well, it's still a hot mess and it will be at least another week until I can even start counting down to bandage-free days.

Hopefully, I can get back on the treadmill to start putting in some walking miles within the next 10 days. That may be too optimistic, but I've got to have something positive on the horizon to keep my spirits up.
Ummm I can relate to your team losing over...and over...and over...:headache:

Take your time with your recovery. No setbacks!!

Ummm I can relate to your team losing over...and over...and over...:headache:

Take your time with your recovery. No setbacks!!

No more setbacks! I promise!

Though I really will need to face my fear of gravel again before DLH. I know a portion of that course is on the Santa Ana trail, so I'll need to prepare myself for that mentally.

I'm registered for a "Brew Challenge" that's a 5K + 10K on the same course I fell last weekend. It's at the end of August - the actual weekend before Disneyland. I'll probably suck it up in the heat and wear knee sleeves and capris for that one, but I've got to face the demon again.

And, from now on, I WILL NEVER cut around people going too slow or walking 3-4 people abreast by running off the trail and into the grass edge. I've learned my lesson on that, that's for sure thanks to my little rock friend that tripped me up and caused this spill.

Thanks, guys. Slowly getting more mobile, which is goal number one! I could even make it down the stairs on my own, which is a major improvement!

I think the most disappointing thing is that I was really getting into a good routine, especially in dealing with the hot weather, and I'm afraid that all those "gains" I'd been making will regress when I'm really able to get back out there in two weeks or whatever.
I know how being told two weeks with no running sounds. It's downright depressing. The good news is 2 weeks isn't enough to have a negative effect on your fitness. The rest could actually be good for you in the grand scheme of things. I am apparently injury prone and for my last marathon I ended up taking a 5-6 taper instead of 2-3. (Taper as in weekly mileage at 25-30 instead of 40+) still ran the marathon and ended with a PR but slower than my original goal. Point is, I didn't lose much and the only thing that actually slowed me down was the fact that I felt like I was running with rocks in my shoes. Keep your head up.

Whew! Just caught up on the whole thread! Don't panic too much about the injury. It's better to take the time off and completely recover than push through it and have a minor injury turn into a long term injury.
Seeing all the races on your signature, I notice that you have an area for distance rides. I know Six Flags Arlington had a 5k/10k in the park in September and an option of getting a medal for riding 5k distance for roller coasters. Thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know it existed. I think this is the first year they are having any races at Six Flags ...
http://rollercoasterrace.com/races/dallas-tx-10k-5k-six-flags-over-texas/

I'm Back ... and Ready to Get Back at it!

Hey everyone!

I'm back from the All-Star Game in Cincinnati (which, was AMAZING by the way - if you're a baseball lover like me and ever have the chance to go, definitely do it. It was so awesome), and after a bunch of walking around and sitting/standing constantly ... it looks like I'm about ready to come off the DL and resume my training!

I'm planning to take it easy this weekend and mentally prepare myself for starting back up on Monday, so I promise I will have a Training Update again on Monday with my plan and all that good stuff.

I know it's not going to be easy and I'm really going to have to kick things in to overdrive to get ready for Disneyland and my goal for time in that Half.

I've also updated my race schedule significantly, which means no half marathon prior to Disneyland. The Hottest Half that I was registered for has a significant portion on the trail where I took my bad fall on 4th of July and I've decided to defer that race entry to another race later in the year. I'm just still nervous about trail running after my fall and I think it would just devastate me if I were to take another spill and put any of my upcoming MAJOR races in jeopardy.

In the meantime, I've been a TERRIBLE W.I.S.H.er between all of my recent travel, so I promise each of y'all that I'll get caught up on reading and commenting on your journals and other Internet-y things this weekend.

Have a good weekend, y'all!

if you're a baseball lover like me and ever have the chance to go, definitely do it. It was so awesome

I would, but ... they charge a lot of money for these things when they're in NY! (I thought some of the fan stuff connected to the All-Star game was fun when they had it here, so I hope they had some fun stuff for you to enjoy in Cincy!)
Although I didn't even watch the game this year ... I've been a bad baseball fan lately :(

I know it's not going to be easy and I'm really going to have to kick things in to overdrive to get ready for Disneyland and my goal for time in that Half.

Just make sure to do it safely - I know you know this, but safety first! You don't want to get hurt again!

The Hottest Half that I was registered for has a significant portion on the trail where I took my bad fall on 4th of July and I've decided to defer that race entry to another race later in the year. I'm just still nervous about trail running after my fall and I think it would just devastate me if I were to take another spill and put any of my upcoming MAJOR races in jeopardy.

I totally get this. But ... I think that at some point you should try running on that trail again (if it's open for non-race running). Maybe if you have a break between major races. You definitely don't want to get hurt there, but I think you can run there and not get hurt ... and once you do that, it'll be a big mental boost for you.
I know that when I fell a few months back, my first run on that same street after the fall was rough - I was terrified I was going to fall again - but when I made it to the corner without falling it felt great. I think that once you can get back on that trail and not fall, you'll feel really good and you won't have to be nervous about it anymore!

I hope you have a good (and pain-free) run on Monday and can get back into a good groove soon!

Training Talk: DLH Week 12, W&D Week 2, Dopey Week 3
Weekly guide to my training!

Get ready for the least informative training week post ever.

The Countdown: 45 Days until Disneyland; 109 Days until Wine & Dine; 170 Days until Dopey; 213 Days until Triple Crown

This Week's Training Plan:
While I'm technically training and prepping to train for both the Disneyland Half and the Wine & Dine Half, the ultimate goal is Dopey. Each week, I will post my scheduled training as dictated by a hybrid Dopey Training schedule I've created combining elements of Hal Higdon's Dopey Training and Jeff Galloway's Dopey Plan.
Monday: 3 miles + Yoga
Tuesday: 3 miles + Swimming
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 3 miles + Cycling
Friday: 3 miles + Yoga
Saturday: 3 miles + Swimming
Sunday: Rest

What's New?
My spirit is back!

First of all, I want to thank each of y'all that weighed in and gave me motivation when I was super down-in-the-dumps over the past two weeks. It was a really rough and low spot for me, but the support each and every one of y'all gave to me really lifted me up and kept my spirits up. I know that it really helped my sweet husband that I had a group to vent to, because I know at sometimes he struggled with how to keep me from being sad. I hope there is some way I can repay each and every one of y'all in the future, without you having to go through the sad spell and injury that I did.

Now, on to happy things!

New since my last update - training starts back up on Monday (or tomorrow/this morning). I'm going to take this week and next week pretty slow, and then hit August pretty hard with my hopes of a decent time at Disneyland in the half. I'm super excited that I'm now doing the 5K at Disneyland in addition to the Half (it was the medal, but ... I know I'm not the only one!).

I'm also registered for the "Triple Crown" over Princess Weekend! The 5K was a treat from my Mom - who, like Dopey weekend, will be running this race with me! I know it seems like a lot, especially with my running pals joining us in New Orleans for the RnR weekend the following weekend. But - whatever keeps me going!

I'm also starting a small cleanse and adjusted meal plan this week. I don't eat breakfast, but I really need to start finding ways to get my eating on track and find a way to eat early when I have to get up SUPER early to run without it being miserably hot. I also need to start working myself away from my Night Owl hours and to normal person hours. Ugh. I can give up beers and fries and foods, but ... going to bed early and getting up early? That's going to be THE WORST.

Good luck on your training and getting back on track after your injury. I can't wait to eventually read your disneyland half and princess weekend recaps once they come.

I have to tell you that I am also trying to really watch what I am eating this month as well. I really fell into a bad habit of eating not the greatest food out of a little bit of laziness. I think because I was working so hard at running and working and being a mom, that I kinda forgot to treat my system nicely too. I've also been staying up later than I should. So at least you know someone across the country is also going to be trying to eat better and force themselves into bed earlier too.

Good luck on your training and getting back on track after your injury. I can't wait to eventually read your disneyland half and princess weekend recaps once they come.

I have to tell you that I am also trying to really watch what I am eating this month as well. I really fell into a bad habit of eating not the greatest food out of a little bit of laziness. I think because I was working so hard at running and working and being a mom, that I kinda forgot to treat my system nicely too. I've also been staying up later than I should. So at least you know someone across the country is also going to be trying to eat better and force themselves into bed earlier too.

Mine hasn't been so much the eating aspect as it has been the drinking part. Being on the road for three of the past five weeks - one week was at a wedding, two weeks were at major sporting events which all three involved lots of parties and things - has not really helped. Along with being injured. The first big step is going back to not drinking during the week (wah!) ... well, Monday-Thursday. We tend to eat pretty well during the week (I do the cooking - and it's always lots of grilling protein and vegetables because it's so hot, I don't want to heat up my kitchen), so I just have to keep the fun times in check and I'll get back to where I need to be.

I'm a little late to the party. But I just wanted to put a little note in here that I really enjoyed reading your posts. I'm pursuing my first half (PHM) after deciding to finally be a runner in May. I was debating about keeping a journal as well, and you've given me the push to get started. Putting it all out there!! :)

How is your return to running (Post Injury) going? Hope getting back on the road has been a bit easier than you expected.

Hi Keels!

I noticed that it's been a few weeks since your last update, so I just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm thinking of you. I hope you've been able to get back into a good rhythm with your training and that you've been staying injury free and excited for your next race.
I'm sure you're busy with lots of fun non-race stuff in addition to getting ready for Disneyland. I hope you'll check back in and let us know how you're doing when you get a chance!

Hi Keels!

I noticed that it's been a few weeks since your last update, so I just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm thinking of you. I hope you've been able to get back into a good rhythm with your training and that you've been staying injury free and excited for your next race.
I'm sure you're busy with lots of fun non-race stuff in addition to getting ready for Disneyland. I hope you'll check back in and let us know how you're doing when you get a chance!

Yeah, what she said

I'm Aliiiiiiiiiive!

Hey, y'all! I'm here, I'm here!

I know I owe you at least two weeks of training posts - I'll try and get an update up later tonight.

Between travel and other things (busted up knees, stomach virus, etc.), I'm a little behind but I'm still making training work. I also haven't been taking my laptop with me, so I'm behind on other things - like this journal - as well!

We're about to have a large-scale remodel on the house/yard start later this week (yay, new backyard and pool! Boo, not being able to use my kitchen for almost a month), so I'm having to prep for that. Fingers crossed that everything goes well with the final meeting tomorrow - it's REALLY been stressing me out.

Added to that, my husband got a VERY exciting promotion at work - which will be great in the long run but means a lot of unscheduled, immediate travel right now. So, that's an added stressor. And, on top of that, our best couple friend (and their two littles) have been staying with us since Friday because their A/C went out ... and it looks like it might finally be replaced tomorrow.

Luckily, I need to get in both a 6 and an 8 mile run this week as part of my final prep for Disneyland and it looks like we might get a "serious" break in the heat and humidity after tomorrow.

I'm in New Orleans the weekend after and I'm hoping to get in a great 10-mile run (out and back, replicating the majority part of the RnR 10K course we did in January) and that will be my last big run before California.

That said, I'm not going to lie - my motivation has been lackluster at best. I think I'm really more looking forward to my visit to DLR with some of my closest friends and family than I am so much about the races themselves. My hopes are that FINALLY getting to experience the rD experience for the first time - the experience I've been thinking about since November of last year - will help kick my training in to the next level and I'll be able to use that runners high to push past the training malaise I'm going through right now. But, I'm assuming that's to be expected.

I planned for the DLH to be my first-ever half. And now? It will be my fourth this year.

It will, however, be my FIRST two-race weekend!

AND! It will be the first of four halfs that will earn me a spot in Half Fanatics!

I do think that, mentally, the injury and not being able to run races that I had planned for right after July 4 was my ultimate motivation-killer for right now. I was supposed to do a Challenge run two weeks ago and I wasn't mentally ready (the 5K portion was on the same stretch of trail where I fell on July 4 ... so, nope. That's out of the question right now), and the husband surprised me with a trip to New Orleans when I should be running the Hottest Half. But time with him is at a premium right now, and the Hottest Half will always be there.

Anyway. That's what's up with me! What's up with y'all? How is everyone's summer going??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter