• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12 Months of Medals: My 2015 (And Beyond!) Running Challenge

Ugh. I said I wasn't going to post again, but I just got home to make dinner and was cruising Facebook ... and sure enough, she pops up posting in the group for our city's social run club (Fort Worth is a big city, but man ... it's very small-town). I'm not going to screengrab her post, because I'll respect her anonymity since I don't personally know her.

But she posted a bling photo in said Facebook group, with this caption:

"Me? Half Marathon? Done! Cannot believe I made it through 13 miles today! Princess in training? More like running queen! #blessed #runnerchick"

OK. I'm REALLY done with this now ... even though it's my journal and I can vent if I want to! ;)

@Ariel484 - I *think* I read the same piece. Is it the one where the psychologist analyzes why runners cheat? Intrinsic vs. extrinsic reasons?

What's your favorite post-race treat?

I like some cold chocolate milk, a couple of races that I have run recently have had this at the finish and I really enjoy it for some reason

Sure, it rained on me for about 15 minutes at mile 7, but at that point, it was a very welcome rain.

Better 15 mins than an entire half marathon which is what happened to me during my March Half

I am VERY proud of my fellow/future runDisney runners. The companionship I feel already amongst this group of people - from newbies to elites - is just one of those special things that you can only come across in certain situations. I'm also incredibly proud and (hopefully) supportive of my rD people who are taking leaps and training for things that are way out of their comfort zone, but they put their best foot forward every day to try to reach that goal - it's one of the things that I think makes rD so awesome and inspiring, and worthy of all the stress and associated cost it takes to be a part of these events.

especially so with this group here on TheDis, Ive only been here a short time but I already feel like all you guys are friends, Ive never seen anyone here not be supportive and that is awesome!!!

she's just cheating herself when it comes to training

This is the thing to remember, sure she may have been able to cut this course short and get away with it and sure she got a medal and when she shows it off she can tell everyone how awesome she is because she did a half marathon but she knows that its a hollow achievement and someday its going to bite her and then she will have no one to blame but herself

Wow...would you get out of my head Keels! I haven't made the jump or commitment to do a post like you have but there is not a day when I am in the gym or running that I don't think about all of you guys on these boards. You, John, Ariel, DisYoda, Neo, Roxymama, ZellyB...and so many others have touched me in ways I can't even express. And I have never met any of you!

is that really my name in amongst those all stars? Thanks!!! Ive made it my one goal when it comes to interacting with fellow runners to always be supportive glad to know its working :teeth:

is that really my name in amongst those all stars? Thanks!!! Ive made it my one goal when it comes to interacting with fellow runners to always be supportive glad to know its working :teeth:

I've always told you that you're the best in the business, Neo!

Except for the whole chocolate milk after running thing. That's kinda gross. I think? Someone always tries to hand me chocolate milk and I'm like ... no?

But you like milk after running? I'm SO curious about this!

I've always told you that you're the best in the business, Neo!

Except for the whole chocolate milk after running thing. That's kinda gross. I think? Someone always tries to hand me chocolate milk and I'm like ... no?

But you like milk after running? I'm SO curious about this!

Thanks @Keels you are pretty dang awesome yourself!!!

Well I like milk (especially chocolate) pretty much anytime but yeah I enjoy it after a run it seems to refresh more than water although a cold 'ade (power or gator) is also a nice post run treat as well, but obviously if you are not a milk fan to begin with then this would not appeal to you.
I will tell you one thing that did seem kind of gross to me once, was during one half marathon (the aforementioned rain race) they were handing out orange slices at one of the aid stops...who thought sucking on an orange while running was a good idea?

I will tell you one thing that did seem kind of gross to me once, was during one half marathon (the aforementioned rain race) they were handing out orange slices at one of the aid stops...who thought sucking on an orange while running was a good idea?

It's actually a very popular thing to hand out. Good way to get a sugar fix without resorting to gels or flat Coke. In ultras, you'll even find people sprinkling salt on them to get their salt intake too. I think salt tabs or just pouring it in your hand and licking it are better options, but a lot of people do it.

I don't let cheaters bother me. I have known a few and they are only hurting themselves. We all know who they are, but we don't talk about it.

For the question - my favorite snack after a workout or run is the Chocolate/Peanut Butter "Zone" bar.

I missed out on all the fun above today but I am now caught up on reading this thread.
A) I don't understand cheating...but I really don't understand it while covered in sparkles. Might as well cover yourself in a big spotlight with flashing "I'm cheating guys, look at me" sign hovering above your head. Shouldn't you at least wear a trench coat with a black fedora and black sunglasses, hiding in a bush or something?
B) I'm pretty sure I run more than the miles I'm supposed to because I am not good at cutting the lines or tangents or whatever its called yet. So I am in fact probably "reverse cheating"...or "padding my mileage" Check out all my awesome 3.25194587 races!
C) I tried to give my daughter chocolate milk from a nestle tent after a race and she said her milk was dirty and refused to drink it.
D) Thanks for everyone being supportive...I echo all the nice things said above about posters here.

This Week's Question:
What's your favorite post-race treat?

Finally getting around to answering this...
Iced (probably Vanilla) Latte (after normal runs I often have iced coffee, but for races I like to get a latte because it's a treat)

In terms of the other thing being discussed here ... it sucks, and there's no other way to put it. But I hope you're not letting it get to you too much! (and I hope she gets swept at her next Disney race!)

In terms of the other thing being discussed here ... it sucks, and there's no other way to put it. But I hope you're not letting it get to you too much! (and I hope she gets swept at her next Disney race!)

Sadly, and I hope this doesn't open an entirely new can of worms, I don't think she'd mind getting swept. Disney usually gives medals to people who get swept, so she'd be able to go back home and show off her shiny medal to all of her friends and family as if she'd run the whole race. It's not a practice I agree with, but that's a topic for another time. Poor @Keels probably wants her thread back.

I missed out on all the fun above today but I am now caught up on reading this thread.
A) I don't understand cheating...but I really don't understand it while covered in sparkles. Might as well cover yourself in a big spotlight with flashing "I'm cheating guys, look at me" sign hovering above your head. Shouldn't you at least wear a trench coat with a black fedora and black sunglasses, hiding in a bush or something?
B) I'm pretty sure I run more than the miles I'm supposed to because I am not good at cutting the lines or tangents or whatever its called yet. So I am in fact probably "reverse cheating"...or "padding my mileage" Check out all my awesome 3.25194587 races!
C) I tried to give my daughter chocolate milk from a nestle tent after a race and she said her milk was dirty and refused to drink it.
D) Thanks for everyone being supportive...I echo all the nice things said above about posters here.
:rotfl2: (B) is hilarious! As for (C)...:eek: Chocolate milk is just so tasty, roxydaughter!
Sadly, and I hope this doesn't open an entirely new can of worms, I don't think she'd mind getting swept. Disney usually gives medals to people who get swept, so she'd be able to go back home and show off her shiny medal to all of her friends and family as if she'd run the whole race. It's not a practice I agree with, but that's a topic for another time. Poor @Keels probably wants her thread back.
Ahem...eh...no comment :eek:

@Keels I'm hijacking your thread to ask you a question since I see that you have experience running the Rock N Roll race(s). I realized the Chicago half marathon that is coming up 7/18 is a Rock N Roll race. I am not ready for that distance. But they have a 5k the Saturday before it. It looks like a pretty decent sized race based on the # of people on the results page from last year.
Do you have any history running a 5k at one of these races? Worth it for $50? I see you get a pretty decent sized medal (yes I like shiny things.) I am just not sure if $50 is worth it but it would def. be biggest production I've ran in if I do it.

@Keels I'm hijacking your thread to ask you a question since I see that you have experience running the Rock N Roll race(s). I realized the Chicago half marathon that is coming up 7/18 is a Rock N Roll race. I am not ready for that distance. But they have a 5k the Saturday before it. It looks like a pretty decent sized race based on the # of people on the results page from last year.
Do you have any history running a 5k at one of these races? Worth it for $50? I see you get a pretty decent sized medal (yes I like shiny things.) I am just not sure if $50 is worth it but it would def. be biggest production I've ran in if I do it.

Normally, I would say yes because I think the Rock 'n' Roll events are super fun.

But I just looked at Chicago - and $50 is A LOT for a race that just gets you a t-shirt and bling, not the rest of the perks.

The downside is because the 5K is run the day before the 10K/Half, you won't have the bands on the course OR the Finish Line Party.

We paid $60 for our last-minute 10K registration for RnR NOLA, and really, our money's worth didn't come from the race itself per se, but the Finish Line party. Because the 10K went off before the half and full, we were done within and hour and got to enjoy four hours of unlimited postrace beers (I think most RnR races only do one free beer ... but NOLA being NOLA, I'm sure they're more of an exception than the rule for this) and three hour-long concerts.

If it were me, I would only spend that kinda of money on the 5K (at this point), if I REALLY wanted to run the course (and, so far, I haven't really found a course that I will purely pay money to run) OR I was doing the Remix Challenge for extra bling (5K on Saturday, 10K or Half on Sunday).

Why don't you try for the 10K?? :D

That is great feedback. I think since so many Chicago races use this same course, that maybe I will pre-plan for next year to try one of those longer distances. Would even be fun to get a hotel downtown night before if we did it. I really would rather spend that money if I got all the bands/post race stuff to go along with it.

I'm going to go add a note in my roxy journal of some "goals for 2016" just to put them down while they are in my head.

(also I think I need more than 2 weeks to mentally prepare myself for a 10k...I've yet to run more than 3.5 miles ever...also I'm a scaredy cat if you have not figured that out yet)

That is great feedback. I think since so many Chicago races use this same course, that maybe I will pre-plan for next year to try one of those longer distances. Would even be fun to get a hotel downtown night before if we did it. I really would rather spend that money if I got all the bands/post race stuff to go along with it.

I'm going to go add a note in my roxy journal of some "goals for 2016" just to put them down while they are in my head.

(also I think I need more than 2 weeks to mentally prepare myself for a 10k...I've yet to run more than 3.5 miles ever...also I'm a scaredy cat if you have not figured that out yet)

Yeah - the bonus is if you register right after the race happens OR when the re-open registration a couple months out, it's about half price. I believe we paid $25 or $30 to register for the 2016 RnR NOLA 10K after we finished the one this year.

Now, I haven't done a rD event YET - but the vibe I get compared to RnR is that most of the post-race celebration for rD events takes place individually in the parks, while at a RnR event all the collective fields are together for a couple hours post-race for the concerts and stuff. It really becomes more of an "all-day event", if you can call something that starts at 7 a.m. and still gets you to brunch at 1 p.m. and "all-day event" ... if that makes sense? :confused3

I know in 2016, we're definitely doing NOLA and probably San Diego as well. I think I'm going to scale back on local races and instead focus on "destination" races. Maybe I'll come to Chicago, too!!

Hey, just found this awesome training journal. Only got through the first few pages so far, but looking forward to catching up on everything. Great goal for 2015!!! Can't wait to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter