10 Reasons Not to Bring Kids to Disney World (But I Will Next Time) - A Whirlwind January Solo Trip (Final Thoughts - 3/23)

Day 2 - Animal Kingdom (cont.)

View attachment 833280

This screenshot ends up being from when I’m in line for Dinosaur. It’s 10:05 and the park has only been officially opened for a little over an hour. KS was at 70, NRJ was at 60. And FoP was about 2 hours! This was supposed to be a light time of year. I’m not saying this is crazy busy since I have nothing to compare it to, but it definitely felt crowded.

I realize what a blessing it ends up being that my FoP wasn’t at 9. Not riding that one extra ride makes a big difference in me being able to finish all the rides in the park by 10:30. And now I get to skip a 2 hr line with my ILL.

I’ll finish all the rides by noon and can take the afternoon easy, enjoying all the sights and sounds of AK.

I walk by the Boneyard. These are the things I didn’t pay attention to previous to having kids. Now I’m very conscious of these playground type areas (also the one in CA). I want to catch a glimpse inside but there’s a CM at the gate, and decide I won’t try to look like a creeper. I’m glad they have some general security, I’m sure it’s more to make sure young kids have supervision.

View attachment 833308

Along the way, I also see ITTBAB.

View attachment 833309

I’ve seen it a ton, but I had to dig deep into the archives of my mind to remember why. I realize that before Radiator Springs at CA, it used to be A Bug’s Life themed! Totally forgot that existed! Don’t love the show and all that comes with it, so I skip this.

As I head through Discovery Island back to Pandora.

My original plan was to visit Nomad Lounge sometime later in the afternoon. I knew it opened at 10:30, and it’s about 10:40. I pass by it and see a few empty tables right along the water. My ILL goes until 11:30, so I decide to stop now! I really wanted to sit waterside so if I went now, it was guaranteed!

View attachment 833318

I’ve only heard from Youtubers how lovely this is and I recommended it to my best friend who said it was great, but I finally get to experience it myself. I get myself a Passion Vanilla Iced Tea. The cocktails look great but I know they’d be too sweet for me.

View attachment 833319

So they have a menu that’s expanded beyond what’s on MDE. I originally had thought I’d get the Chicken Satay on the normal menu but then decided to try something off this one.

View attachment 833320

I order the Bangkok Crispy Chicken Wings. They were quite good. But I do realize I can get very similar wings here in LA. I sort of wish I got the Charcuterie board just for greater variety, but I enjoyed these nonetheless! That’s one bad thing about going solo. You can’t sample as many foods.

View attachment 833321

It ends up being the perfect time to call my kiddos as they’re just getting up.

This ends up being perfect stop for now. It was an early lunch and allowed me to rest and relax a little bit before really exploring the park. I’d totally come here again with or without kids! I saw many small families come in for some snacks!

I end up finishing around 11:15 - a small little 30-40 minute detour. I never felt rushed but I knew I had 15 more minutes before my LL window closed so I hightailed my way out of there.
Looks like a nice midday break!

Another Art Update!

After Disney refunded me the money, and UPS updated the bad news that the package had been destroyed once and for all, I couldn’t shake that I was sad that I couldn’t get the artwork.

I decided to e-mail McCollough Art to see if there was anything they could do.

After a few e-mails back and forth, a super helpful person told me they still had the print available. I learned that these art vendors have very strict contracts with Disney. She told me specifically they could only sell on property and all art needed to be processed through the registers in the parks, but she was willing to help me purchase it in the park as long as I sent her the gift card info before the festival ended!

So another print is in the mail, heading to my house rather than my brother’s. UPS lost the art before it hit his house but he has porch pirates and we don’t.

Super grateful they could find a way. Will update when it finally gets here to my house.

Day 2 - Animal Kingdom (cont.)

Finally, I make my way to my LL on FoP. I have 10 minutes to spare so my Nomad Lounge stop I think was well-timed. Another gorgeous queue.

IMG_9534.jpeg

I make it to the pre-show in 6 minutes. So I have no idea what to expect! I had a general idea about this ride, but I hadn’t really watched a walkthrough or anything. I just heard from some that it was a top ride until RotR came around, and knew it made some people motion sick.

IMG_9537.jpeg

We were in the pre-show for a while! They kept making us dance and move around. I realize this wasn’t necessarily the norm (spoiler alert: I go on again later).

We start the ride. Wow! Particularly since I didn’t know what to expect, I was definitely in awe. I loved all of the ride, the visuals, the water effects. This quickly became my favorite ride! That was well worth the ILL. While I know the new coasters and RotR have actual movement, I think it’s the technology aspect of it being a simulator that makes this special!

At this point, I’ve finished every ride in the park and it’s 11:40. The only other must-do for me was FotLK. The next show is at noon and the one after that is at 2. Had I skipped Nomad Lounge, I would’ve tried to get there earlier to line up. But I decide I’ll head over and see if maybe, just maybe, one solo person could just slip in.

IMG_9538.jpeg

There’s a fairly massive line. I hear the family in front of me ask the CM what the chances were. He very carefully answered that it depended on a lot of factors, but implied that he thought their chances were low. Since it was 11:45 or so, I think we just all decided to stick around and see if maybe we’d get lucky.

At around 11:50, there was movement. Except it wasn’t to put people in the theater. It was an announcement that the entire 12:00 show was cancelled!

Mass exodus. I’m glad I was only there a few minutes but I felt terrible especially for those families who’d been waiting 45 min. I heard one dad tell his son who was crying that he knew he was disappointed and that it was okay to feel sad.

I might’ve cried or gotten angry had I been in that line.

IMG_9540.jpeg

I have no idea what I’ll do at this point. I briefly debate whether to try for the 2pm show when maybe everybody else would too, or wait for a later show. I decide I’ll figure that out later.

I try to get ahead of the crowds and end up walking towards the train to go to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. While getting into line, I notice the next animation experience is at noon. I figure I might make it as I had about 6 minutes but I need the train to move! The train pulls up. There are 2 ECVs to load though. I’m so glad they make things accessible, but man, those things take a long time to load.

We end up making it over and I book it over to the Animation Experience. I don’t think I’ve walked so fast the entire trip. When I get inside, it’s already started and it looks like the area is roped off and I don’t see a way to get in. Sadly, I walk away. But then I decide I’d still like to learn so I’d just watch from the back and do it on a sketch app if I have to.

At this point, another family stops and asks a CM if it’s too late and they said no, and point the way to the other side where the entrance is. I follow them and get in.

Moral of the story: Always ask CMs if you need something. My husband is way better about asking. I automatically jump to thinking the answer is no. In this case, that wasn’t the case! I’m glad the family had asked.

IMG_9541.jpeg

We drew Bambi! I’m shocked that they’re able to make a way for people to draw like them with some guidance. I’m not artistic at all, but I’m pretty proud my Bambi turns out decent. I think this is too hard for little kids but they give them coloring pages to do. I roll it up and put a hair tie to try to bring it home.

Honestly, there’s not much else at Rafiki’s Planet Watch. No animals being treated. And the petting area isn’t that much different than your local petting zoo.

IMG_9543.jpeg

I head on the train back towards Africa.

IMG_9544.jpeg

As I walk out, I see the lines of strollers for those that go to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. You can’t bring your own, but I did notice they had ones you can borrow on the other side. So glad I didn’t need to deal with these my whole trip.

IMG_9545.jpeg

Day 2 - Animal Kingdom (cont) - Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail

IMG_9546.jpeg

Other than FotLK, it was so great to be done with the big pieces of the park, so I knew I wanted to take some time to walk the trails.

When my best friend went years ago on the trip that I never got to take with her, I gave her a bunch of tips since I was the trip planner. Her son was just around 1 at the time. These trails ended up being where she’d walk around and around with her stroller to get her son to nap.

I moved fairly briskly as I did have some other plans but wanted to see what was here.

I forget what rodent these are. There were a lot of them.

IMG_9548.jpeg

In front of me were a few Japanese tourists. Mostly, on this trip, I noticed tourists from South America, so this was a little different. I’d love to visit DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland one day. It never occurred to me that people with parks where they are would want to visit here, but why wouldn’t they???

IMG_9549.jpeg

I come upon these areas with a lot of cichlids. I’m wondering what part of Africa this represents, since we would’ve seen something like this in Lake Malawi.

IMG_9550.jpeg

I look at the wall!

IMG_9551.jpeg

It was Lake Malawi!

IMG_9552.jpeg

Before I moved to LA 13 years ago, I didn’t even know Malawi existed. It was only after attending the church I now work for that I learned about it. Most people still get Malawi confused with Maui or they don’t know where it is. I lived south of Chipoka on this map.

As I mentioned before, the theming reminded me a ton of my time there! As I had researched, I couldn’t find many direct references to Malawi. There was a drink at one point either at Nomad or AKL that referenced Malawi. I had looked up the cultural ambassadors and they didn’t have any from Malawi. So this was a fun little reference, and even more fun that I even recognized it!

Quick side story: I appreciate the conservation efforts of AK. I never got to really explore the lake but know it’s quite a wonder. There were so many people exploiting the lake since enforcement of regulations aren’t very strong. I met somebody who told me they were trying to catch the turtles in the lake to sent to sell abroad. I think it was illegal or the turtles were protected, but apparently this is quite profitable. I did hear later on they were able to stop this company from doing this, but there’s many many more people like this trying to capitalize off the lake.

I do finally see the gorillas!

IMG_9554.jpeg

I head out of the trails back into the African Marketplace. There was a band out. Music again, so fun and nostalgic. But it didn’t feel the same as the morning. Why? The first picture is the picture from the morning.

IMG_9460.jpeg

Here’s the afternoon!

IMG_9555.jpeg

So many people. It was crowded. And you knew everybody, myself included were tourists. I’m glad I saw it empty. I realize how many details you miss because there are people everywhere and those detract.

If I lived closer to WDW and had an AP, I’d definitely take more time to slow down and pay attention to the design of the park. But this trip wasn’t that. This was whirlwind trip trying to cram things in, so I stopped briefly to hear the music and moved on to my last bit activity at AK.

Last edited:

Day 2: Animal Kingdom- FotLK and Maharajah Jungle Trek

The main memory I have of AK from when I went in 1998 was Festival of the Lion King! It was the one thing that seared in my memory from that trip. I remember it was amazing!

I was excited about experiencing new rides on this trip but this was the one thing I was most excited to revisit. I was in middle school when Lion King came out, so it has serious nostalgia factor for me (though I guess in 1998 it would’ve been relatively new).

In my earlier post, I had tried to line up for the 12pm show and it got cancelled at the last minute. That had me worried that perhaps they’d cancel the remainder shows of the day. Since I knew I’d be deeply disappointed if I didn’t see this, I decided to go early and try for the 2pm show. I get there at 1:25 - 35 minutes early! The lines not too bad.

IMG_9559.jpegIMG_9560.jpeg

I’ve been on my feet a bit so I feel like I’m far enough forward to just sit down on a ledge even if others get in front of me.

Eventually more people come and I stand. Next to me is a woman with a different button than I’ve seen. I think it said “Starting my Program” or something along that lines and I knew she was involved in DCP. I decide to ask her about her button and it turns out she was DCP but specially the culinary program which is different from normal DCP. It was fun learning about her journey. She was starting in an unknown spot in Epcot the next day!

We get let in and sat down.

IMG_9561.jpeg

They really made us squeeze. They asked us to move over maybe 5 times. It could be annoying but I really appreciated it. They stated the morning shows had been cancelled (I’m not sure if the 11am was also), and they wanted to make sure as many people could get in as possible. We managed to get 2 more in our row and simply had no more room to move.

The show eventually began!

IMG_9565.jpegIMG_9574.jpegIMG_9580.jpeg

It was good as I remembered! I actually don’t remember much about 25 years ago except I loved it. I ended up looking up a video from that year and most everything felt the same except the venue. This venue is much better! I took a bunch of videos and my son has been asking to see the birds and fire juggler.

I head out and first get a snack before my plan to go to the other walking trail!

IMG_9581.jpeg

I had seen good reviews about the roasted corn so I get one. It looked very lackluster and quite pathetic. Surprisingly, it tasted much better than it looked, though I definitely think it could’ve been far fresher.

I head into the trail.

IMG_9585.jpeg

I get some great views of the tigers!

IMG_9586.jpeg

It’s probably just before 3 at this point. Trails are quite good for pondering, and I begin thinking about the remainder of the afternoon. My original plan was to finish the park around 4 and head back to my hotel to rest before my big evening plans.

I’m thinking about how I feel, and I realize, I feel fantastic! I think a full night of sleep and adrenaline were helping. I begin wondering whether I should skip going back to the hotel. Here’s my one dilemma: in the morning, I had a moment where I am packing my backpack and look at my jacket. I decide then to not bring it since I’d come back to get it before nighttime. At this moment, I regret greatly that I didn’t pack the jacket! If I didn’t go back to get it, would I be too cold all evening? It’s January after all!

I continue on the trail debating what I’d do.

Along the way, I see a bunch of people stopped in the trail. They’re all taking pictures of this bird.

IMG_9589.jpeg

I have no idea what this bird is but I join in on the fun. I start filming this bird and it makes the craziest whistle sound! I think it’s some mating call. This is another video my son loves watching over and over. He lovingly calls it the “whoo-whoo bird”. I wish there was an easy way to share that video here.

It still catches me off guard every time I watch it.

I finish the trail and head out into the rest of Asia.

Last edited:
Day 2: Animal Kingdom- Finishing the Park

By this point, I’ve decided I’ll risk not going back for my jacket and just stay out. What do do I’m still debating. I could stay at AK later and do more, or I could go somewhere else. I just need to make it to my next location by 7pm.

At this point, I’m done with most everything I’d hoped to do! I could’ve explored the trail around the Tree of Life but decide not to. Instead, I decide I wanted to do some things i enjoyed again.

First up was EE again! Single rider for the win. I saw all these kids and they said they just kept getting on over and over and over again. I did hear one much older woman talk to some middle school aged kids and explain how this was the best coaster! They argued back that FoP was the better ride.

IMG_9593.jpeg

I do it once, and then one more time! I recognize I’m not 12 and I hit my limit and am beginning to experience diminishing returns. So I got 3 rides on EE. It is a great coaster! I probably already mentioned this but GotG wins mainly because of rerideability with soundtrack. But this is a coaster I found myself smiling the whole way through.

I have to agree with those kids. FoP is the best attraction. I keep an eye out on the wait times and they’re under an hour. I decide I want to do it again, and since I wasn’t going to go back to the hotel, I could go for it.

I enter the line with a posted 55 minute wait.

IMG_9594.jpegIMG_9596.jpeg

I meet a couple next to me who told me they thought they were getting into the FoP line earlier but ended up riding NRJ instead. I think they waited 80 minutes. Then they also mentioned they hadn’t done KS. I felt bad for them, but it also shocks me somebody wouldn’t do a little research if they’re going it spend hundreds to get into a park. But that’s me who loves knowing all the info, not so I have to plan out everything, but so I don’t miss something I might later wish I had done.

IMG_9595.jpeg

I’m glad I got in line when I did, as the line shoots up shortly afterwards.

I also decide in line my next plans. I’d go visit another resort and get a chance to also ride a new form of transportation for me, the Skyliner!

IMG_9601.jpeg

It takes me just about the posted time to get into this ride. This time around, I notice it doesn’t make me dance around. And I realize they do that to help the different pods load in at the same time.

I rode the ride again and it was still great. One woman next to me just said, “wow, that was the most amazing VR experience she’s ever had.” I have to agree.

I still liked it the second time, glad I got to see the queue. But this I knew what to expect so it lost some novelty. Don’t get me wrong, still absolutely amazing ride! But it wasn’t quite as exciting as the first.

On my way out, I see a snack I’ve been intrigued about. My dinner plans weren’t going to be for another 3 hrs, so I decide to get it.

IMG_9602.jpeg

IMG_9603.jpeg

I know this is a controversial snack. I thought I would love it since I love cream cheese filled items. Unfortunately, I found it quite mediocre. I didn’t hate it but didn’t love it. The pineapple chunks were too big and the egg roll was way too soggy. I ate about half and toss the rest to avoid empty carbs.

IMG_9604.jpeg

And with that, I leave Animal Kingdom. I’m on a theme park high. I loved my day.

Total Count:
10 rides, 4 attractions
18,283 steps
7.8 miles

Could the rest of the day compare? Would I regret my decision not to go back to my hotel? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Day 2 - Transition Time

When I originally planned this trip, I had only intended to go to 2 parks, Epcot and AK. I was going to take things more leisurely. I’d take extra time to visit other resorts. I love checking out well themed hotels. It’s my favorite thing about visiting Vegas.

But because of the park hopper, and then the release of a special event, I went from leisurely to go go go! And I cut out one night where I’d go visit a resort after AK.

My shoes are holding up great, I’m still on pacific time, and I’m feeling good! So I decide rather than take a nap, I want to see another resort.

I briefly think about going to AKL. Then I remember something! The Skyliner was down for this trip, but only through the Epcot portion. I had hoped to ride it. In fact, in one iteration of my planning, I had a room booked at POP to go on a Skyliner resort crawl.

It was open for the HS portion, and that would be where I’d need to get to.

I go to the bus stop and find my next destination.

IMG_9608.jpeg

Not sure why the bus driver is greeting us. I’m guessing he’s probably loading up an ECV and explaining we need to wait.

We arrive. What a neat lobby.

IMG_9609.jpeg

I first go fill up my mug again. I get a Diet Sprite I think but there’s no syrup and it’s just soda water. That’s not what I want so I dump it! But the machine wants me to wait 5 minutes to fill again. I’m impatient so I just go get iced tea, which again was as terrible as I remembered.

I chose to come to Art of Animation because I wanted to get some time in the place I think my son would enjoy the most!

IMG_9610.jpeg

IMG_9612.jpegIMG_9615.jpegIMG_9618.jpeg

I love the Cars theming both here and at DCA. The characters come to life so well!

IMG_9621.jpeg

Had to say hi to Lightning McQueen on behalf of my son!

I’m sure the theming for the rest of the hotel was equally amazing but I mainly came for Cars. I realize I never fully catch how big these resorts are. Since I ended up in a Surf’s Up room at AS Sports, I have zero idea how long one needs to walk. This is true also here. I only see this one section.

I see a walking/jogging path by the water and decide to go hang out there for a little bit.

These buildings are soooo cute!

IMG_9624.jpeg

IMG_9628.jpeg

You can see Pop across the way!

IMG_9625.jpeg

I rest and relax for a little while, and then make my way over to the Skyliner to make way to my evening adventure!

Day 2 - Skyliner

I love gondolas as a form of public transportation! I had most recently ridden one last year in Taiwan. They have one that goes from the Taipei Zoo (if you’re ever in the area, a must do! And it’s only like $2 to get in) and goes up to a tea plantation area. The views are lovely. We had a chance to get on a glass bottom one! (

IMG_5236.jpeg

I was thrilled to have a chance to ride the Skyliner! I love seeing the sites high above

IMG_9630.jpegIMG_9631.jpeg

Just me! Lines are non-existent. I can see why this could be so convenient compared to buses, especially with strollers!

IMG_9632.jpeg

We stop at CBR to transfer. I do later have a regret of not stopping to check it out a little bit to see what it feels like, especially since I end up having a huge chunk of unused time. I couldn’t tell on the map how far it’d be to see something so I skip it.

IMG_9634.jpeg

IMG_9637.jpeg

This second one is unwrapped, which I prefer. We make our way and I see the Tower of Terror! This makes my 4th park in 2 days!

IMG_9639.jpeg

I make my way to HS. I have an After Hours event to go to that evening to close up my time in the parks.

Day 2 - Hollywood Studios After Hours Check-In

When I planned this trip, I hadn’t intended to go to MK or HS. They were the two parks that had rides most similar to what I can experience at DL and DCA, so I wasn’t thinking I needed to go.

A few months before my trip, they released news that they were offering After Hours parties and there would be one for HS during my trip. I wasn’t that excited still about the actual rides at HS, but I was excited to consider experiencing an After Hours. I had seen a bunch of videos about them previously, and the prospect of an empty park and no lines sounded like an amazing experience.

So I bit the bullet and decided I’d pay the $165 to go. Would it be worth it? I’d find out.

When arriving at the entrance, I went through security and got pulled again for additional screening. I wasn’t sure why I was fine the day before but kept getting pulled over today.

There were CMs out and you go towards the right and check in there at the signs.

IMG_9641.jpeg

Wristband acquired!

IMG_9640.jpeg

At this point, it’s 6:20 and we don’t get let in for another 40 minutes. This is where in hindsight I wish I had stopped at CBR or did something else. I don’t just want to stand there, so I leave the corraled area to find a place to sit. I think it’s good to get there somewhat early but I don’t think it necessitates being too early.

At around 6:45, I head back in to the area where they keep AH guests to prepare to go in. It’s much more crowded now.

IMG_9643.jpeg

People around me seemed excited, but I was a little surprised it felt like rope drop. Somebody around me commented about getting to rides quick. I explained the lines would be much much shorter once the party began and they sounded surprised. I explained that was probably the biggest appeal of this event. They told me they were looking forward to it. Again, since I’m a planner, it surprises me when people don’t know what they’re getting themselves into. This I’m sure was a good surprise!

Right at 7, we’re let in. No scanning or anything, they just open the gates. Since they only allowed wristbanded people into the corral, I guess they just let people in to make it easier. If it were scanned, it’d be worth it to get there early but since it’s not, the difference between back of the pack and front might be 2 minutes.

I head in and go toward my first stop of the night!

Day 2: Hollywood Brown Derby

My first stop is the only ADR I made this whole trip, for 7:15 at HBD.

IMG_9646.jpeg

I get checked in at the lobby. I have about 5 minutes before they call me in.

IMG_9647.jpeg
IMG_9648.jpeg
IMG_9649.jpeg
I’m seated along the raised area of the room. There’s a pole and I start on one side of the table but move to the other so the pole’s not blocking.

IMG_9650.jpeg

I came in knowing what I wanted to get! I had gotten this ADR for one thing alone. But I end up getting sat and then waited and waited and nobody came by. Nobody even stopped to greet or bring water over.

After 12 minutes, I finally found somebody to flag down my waiter. I’m not sure if I was impatient, but that felt long to me, especially at a restaurant that’s supposed to be signature.

A few more minutes passed and the waiter did come by apologetically. He was holding a ton of bills, so I understood he had too many tables and timing had been poor, so I gave it a pass in my mind.

I ordered two items. I had told the waiter I didn’t mind if they came together since it seemed it was busy, but he told me, “No, we’re going to do this right.”

They first brought out some bread and butter. My first item came out quickly after that. The server (not my waiter) kinda just threw it on my table, not in front of me. I was a little surprised he didn’t put it in front of me. I pulled it towards me.

IMG_9651.jpeg

Oyster Brie Soup - with Fried Oyster and champagne foam ($18)

I had originally not intended to get anything but my next dish, but decided that day to get a little more. I guess partly as a solo diner who wasn’t going to get a drink, I wanted also not to look super cheap.

This was good, though I likely wouldn’t get it again. I liked the soup but that fried oyster was a travesty for a fried oyster. I’m used to delicious juicy oysters in Japanese restaurants and these were dried and rubbery.

Then came my main dish, the Cobb. Again, this server sort of tossed it to the side of my table without much acknowledgment. I take a quick pic (it did look quite lovely) and am thinking to pull it to myself.

IMG_9652.jpeg

Just at that moment, my waiter comes over and does a quick mix for me. I don’t remember if he puts it in front of me but at least they prepared and acknowledged the arrival.

IMG_9653.jpeg

Our Famous Cobb Salad - Spit-roasted Turkey, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Blue Cheese, Avocado, Classic Dressing ($25)

I love Cobb salads- absolutely my favorite salad. I had seen so many people rave about this one. It was actually the one thing I was bummed I couldn’t go to with my original plans of Epcot and AK. When AH became available, I was excited to come here to try.

I did enjoy this salad. But I’m not sure how to rate it. The finely shredded nature is super unique. While eating it, I liked the flavors since it’s classic, well-mixed Cobb. I wasn’t sure about the texture but I find myself now thinking about wanting to try it again, or wondering whether I could make it myself. So I guess that means it’s good. But I also recently had a more traditional Cobb at a local joint called Hook Burger for $12. Put head to head, I think I might choose Hook, especially when you add value.

IMG_9654.jpeg

Overall, I’m glad I tried it. This ends up being my priciest meal of the trip and it isn’t too crazy. I briefly wonder whether I might have preferred spending the same amount for a place like Roundup Rodeo BBQ. I had also considered Sci-fi Dine-in.

I think the service was really lackluster and that contributed to how I felt. I don’t have super high standards but this experience felt particularly disappointing. Maybe it was because I was a solo diner? Maybe they were just too busy? But to have food sort of tossed on your table partnered with the long early wait to be acknowledged felt like bad service. My actual waiter was okay at the end, but I’ve had better at my local Applebee’s.

I think I should’ve done the lounge instead. It felt more casual and I think I would’ve gotten better service. It would’ve been fun to people watch outside. I was worried it’d be too busy so I kept the ADR.

In any case, I was out fairly quickly at 8 and was ready to start exploring the park. AH wouldn’t originality begin until 9:30 so I had 90 minutes to play with!

Regarding your jacket dilemma...NEVER go back to get it. This is just a really good excuse to buy some merch to keep warm. That's how I ended up with the 50th anniversary blue jacket and the 50th anniversary fuzzy grey jacket. :rotfl2:

Regarding your jacket dilemma...NEVER go back to get it. This is just a really good excuse to buy some merch to keep warm. That's how I ended up with the 50th anniversary blue jacket and the 50th anniversary fuzzy grey jacket. :rotfl2:

Hahaha! More jackets to leave behind at the hotel room. ;)

In all seriousness, I did briefly think about that as a possibility. :)

Day 2: Pre After Hours at HS

Since it was brought up by Staceybaeasm, let me mention the weather. For the past two days, the weather has been fantastic! It’s been sitting in the 70s, so for this CA girl, it was just like home. The night before at MK, a jacket was helpful up until we got in line, when it’d get warm.

When I decided the fateful moment to skip the jacket, it was quite comfortable and I looked at a weather app, and it wasn’t going to drop much more than 10 degrees from there.

Let me say it was lovely that night. The weather in January is crazy. Just a few days earlier, it had dropped to the 30s but that evening, it was in the upper 60s. No jacket needed at all!

Again, I had about an hour before the park closed and 90 minutes before AH so this was still regular park time! From HBD, I headed towards the Chinese theater. They were doing one of the projection shows. I think it was the Movie Magic one when I arrived.

IMG_9655.jpeg

As I was watching, I checked the app and noticed MMRR had a standby wait of 10 minutes. I briefly debate whether to go on right after the show was over but realized everybody watching the show would have the same idea, so I just decide to head in.

IMG_9659.jpeg

I’ve been on this ride at DL with my kiddos back when it first opened! The day was crazy since we had hoped to go early and ride it but it was closed down. Super bummed! We walked around a while and took the kids to Small World. After going on it, it was still closed so I had given up hopes of riding it but we decided to walk over anyways just to check it out. I had prayed and told God that we knew this didn’t matter much, but it’d sure be nice if the ride would open up for us. Right as we got there, we ran into a CM who I thought was there to tell us it was broken down but instead told us stroller parking was just beyond! This is when Toontown hadn’t even opened yet so it was just this ride.

It was open! We pretty much walked on - we went so fast we couldn’t even catch all the fun parts of the queue. The ride was at 90 min the rest of the day. I was so in shock and felt so loved by God! I mostly was just enjoying the experience and making sure my kids did also. My daughter who was maybe 14 months at the time hated it lol.

I ended up sharing this story in a sermon I preached about prayer. I had soooo many people tell me in the next month that they too had gone to DL and done the same.

IMG_9660.jpeg

In any case, I was looking forward to riding it again without kids to just enjoy!

It took me 3 minutes to get to pre-show! That was probably as fast as my first time at DL.

IMG_9661.jpeg

I didn’t take too many photos during the ride but it was fun to take it all in. I noticed a bunch of hidden mickeys in one of the rooms.

IMG_9663.jpeg

On my way out, it seems like the show outside was still going on, but the MMRR line had gone up quite a bit. I think it was actually the next show, the Wonderful World of Animation. I think I’d enjoy this one more than the previous one. It reminded me of the films they play at the Animation room in Hollywood at DCA. I could sit there forever watching those animation clips! If you’ve never seen it, well worth a visit!

IMG_9667.jpeg

I try to decide where I want to go next. I briefly debate doing one of the shows that aren’t open during AH, but end up heading my way over to ST. This was not a ride I had felt I must do, but by this point, I decided a goal was to do every ride at least once during AH.

There is absolutely no line and they actually let me choose any line and seat I want in the pod.

IMG_9670.jpeg

At this point, it’s just about 10 min before 9. RotR had a posted 45 min wait. I decide to hop in at 8:57. I know RotR is a top ride for many. This actually wasn’t a must must do for me this evening. I’ve done it before at DL. I did want to do it again but it’s just such a long ride, I didn’t want to cut into too much of AH.

I decide to hop in for 2 reasons. 1) My experience with the previous night and SDMT was amazing and the time was way shorter than posted so I was guessing it’d be similar. 2) I had seen Adam the Woo do the first AH event at HS a few weeks earlier and he decided to do it this way, and he managed to get off just as the party began.

IMG_9671.jpeg
IMG_9672.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this before. While I love experiencing a new park, one of the hardest things was having absolutely no idea how long the queue was or where I was in it. I end up going through and end up at the pre-show at 9:15, for a grand total 18 min wait! If and when I ever come back, getting on rides around close is the way to go, especially for those of us adjusting to East Coast time from West Coast.

IMG_9679.jpeg

It was a fun ride to go on again! This time, had more chance to take notice in the transport pod. Our CM for interrogation was pretty funny in playing her role.

I was off the ride at 9:35 which was pretty perfect! I had gone on the longest and most popular ride and had managed to use the in between 30 minutes while the park cleared to do it! Now I could focus on everything else!

Your trip is going fabulously! I hear ya about the research. I love knowing everything so I can decide what are must-dos. I hate missing out on cool stuff.

And then I logged out of my Slack rather than turn off notifications as this was the only possible emergency worthy of reaching me for.
I'm all caught up now! When I read about the notification, that was a reminder for me to turn Slack off while we're at Disney haha... I don't want to be thinking about work! Glad you were able to turn it off after one emergency.
It was super cute and she gave it because our family’s first ride with her was Dumbo.

IMG_9975.jpeg
This is so cute!
It’s super cute and I’ve always wanted a Loungefly, but they are so impractical! Even without my kids, they just don’t allow for very much room to carry stuff. I even got an organizer, but this ends up being the only time I use this. I’m glad I brought a slightly bigger backpack, but I probably should’ve just brought a normal size one, especially when buying souvenirs.
I've never had a Loungefly before and bought my first (used) for our next trip. I'm worried about the size too, but my MIL will have a larger backpack so I'm hoping between the two of us that will carry everything we need.
While I can see why people would wait for a great view, I’m so glad I didn’t, and got this more than adequate spot 5 min before the fireworks began.
I agree! There are so many great places to watch the fireworks, it's hard to justify waiting too long right in front of the castle and losing out on that park time.
I had a pretty fantastic first day. I was able to do a ton!
You did so much!!
Total Steps: 30,390
Total Distance : 13 miles
WOW!
it used to be A Bug’s Life themed! Totally forgot that existed! Don’t love the show and all that comes with it, so I skip this.
I hate Bug's Life... I will always skip it.
So another print is in the mail, heading to my house rather than my brother’s. UPS lost the art before it hit his house but he has porch pirates and we don’t.
I'm so glad you were able to order a print after that whole ordeal!
I meet a couple next to me who told me they thought they were getting into the FoP line earlier but ended up riding NRJ instead. I think they waited 80 minutes.
Oh that would be such a bummer to lose so much park time to a ride that wasn't what you were expecting.
was off the ride at 9:35 which was pretty perfect! I had gone on the longest and most popular ride and had managed to use the in between 30 minutes while the park cleared to do it! Now I could focus on everything else!
Can't wait to hear more about HS AH! We're planning to go on our next trip and I'm really curious what the crowds will be like.

Your trip is going fabulously! I hear ya about the research. I love knowing everything so I can decide what are must-dos. I hate missing out on cool stuff.
Yes, things were so smooth (except the FEA closure)! I’m glad this board exists because if somebody’s here, they get the need to research and plan! I feel seen. :)

I'm all caught up now! When I read about the notification, that was a reminder for me to turn Slack off while we're at Disney haha... I don't want to be thinking about work! Glad you were able to turn it off after one emergency.

Can't wait to hear more about HS AH! We're planning to go on our next trip and I'm really curious what the crowds will be like.
I’m glad my report reminded you to turn off slack! I’m so bad at disconnecting but the greatest gift of this trip was 3 days not thinking about work at all other than that half hour, which never happens!

You’ll read it soon, but AH is fantastic! Our night wasn’t sold out so don’t know what it’s like if it is but it was a dream!

Currently traveling on a work trip - now this weekend will be the longest I’ve been away from my kids! My solo trip was good prep, I’d like to think.

In real world news, my brother’s canvas print arrived!

IMG_0188.jpeg

Day 2 - After Hours at HS - Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land

Since I was on a mission to ride every ride, coming off of RotR, I decided to keep tackling the Star Wars rides.

Lots of people were heading this way, I’m guessing towards RotR, but I head to MFSR. Posted wait shows 15 or 20 (I don’t exactly remember). I ask the CM out front if that’s accurate, and she says yes. I don’t want to waste anytime waiting, so I decide to hop in the single rider line.

IMG_9696.jpeg

I’ve only done this ride Single Rider. I think it’s okay. I’m not a huge SW or sci-fi fan so I think some of it is lost in me. I would’ve been okay skipping but I had determined to get on everything.

I get in and the CM on the other side of the single rider warmly greets me. She basically said I was going to get my own pod and I could choose any position I wanted. So no wait, walk on! I don’t know why the CM outside said the wait time was correct. Maybe she didn’t know or maybe they have to?

IMG_9701.jpeg

I choose the gunner seat! I’ve actually been able to ride both engineer and pilot even as a single rider so I decided to do the position I’ve never done. The CM suggested I do it in manual mode.

I was terrible. It was fun to have my own pod. A friend on Instagram told me I should have done Chewie mode. I have heard of it but didn’t research since I wasn’t prioritizing this ride. I bet the CMs would’ve helped!

I walked out into a very lightly populated GE.

I decide to head over to Oga’s. I didn’t want to drink anything but I wanted to ask if I could peek my head in. Since one of the perks of these events is walk-ups to this and other special spaces in GE, I thought asking didn’t hurt.

The CM was super nice and said sure, but another coworker, also super nice, reminded him they needed to ask their supervisor. No biggie! I was okay if I didn’t go in. But they got her and she said sure!

IMG_9705.jpeg

As you can see, it was pretty empty. The CM stayed with me while I looked but I end up just taking a quick picture and leave. Didn’t want to overstay my welcome and still felt strange since I wasn’t ordering. I have a reservation for my March trip at DL. They have more food options so hoping for a mid day break and also that my kids like it.

I head out of GE and head towards Toy Story Land. The first thing that comes up is Alien Swirling Saucers. There’s no line but I have to wait an entire run of the ride because I couldn’t walk fast enough to load.

IMG_9708.jpeg

I know people say this is the same as Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree at DCA but I think this ride felt much much worse to me. Maybe it’s much more fun with the kiddos laughing their heads off, but Aliens felt rougher and not as fast as I remember MJJ to be.

But it’s a ride, and ride it I did.

At this point, I grab a snack!

IMG_9712.jpeg

I basically bite off an ear. I can have a little bit of sugar but definitely couldn’t eat the whole thing. I feel a little bad just eating an ear off since it was a little wasteful, but I paid for the AH event, and this was the only way I’d be able to get a little bit of Mickey bar because I’d never buy it for myself!

I’ll say, at DL, for some reason, they seem to ultra freeze their Mickey bars, so they come out super hard and you need to wait. These were perfect softness without having melted yet!

The only new ride at this park was SDD. It’s posted 25 min but since this was a definite must-do, I jump in line. It’s only 11 minutes until loading.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Ok, hot take. I thought it was only okay and don’t get why this sells out so quick normally and gets extremely long lines. Maybe I just prefer more thrilling coasters.

But I’m glad I did it. I just wouldn’t wait long for it.

I grab another snack.

I hop over to the other thing I really wanted to do, TSM. This is one of those rides that always has a long line at DCA but I always hope to improve on my score but don’t get enough chances. So one of my goals was to just keep riding this to try to improve.

IMG_9717.jpeg

This queue is way better than DCA. This line was one of the longer lines of the evening. I think it took about twenty.

I read up on strategies and aimed to try to score higher!

IMG_9721.jpeg

I thought that was pretty good!

IMG_9722.jpeg

But darn, missed best in vehicle by 3k!

At this point, I’d done everything but ToT. It was great, even with slight waits. It’s only 10:45 or so and I still have an hour and 45 of event time! What else would I decide to do?!! To be continued…

Currently traveling on a work trip - now this weekend will be the longest I’ve been away from my kids! My solo trip was good prep, I’d like to think.

In real world news, my brother’s canvas print arrived!

View attachment 836370

Day 2 - After Hours at HS - Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land

Since I was on a mission to ride every ride, coming off of RotR, I decided to keep tackling the Star Wars rides.

Lots of people were heading this way, I’m guessing towards RotR, but I head to MFSR. Posted wait shows 15 or 20 (I don’t exactly remember). I ask the CM out front if that’s accurate, and she says yes. I don’t want to waste anytime waiting, so I decide to hop in the single rider line.

View attachment 836371

I’ve only done this ride Single Rider. I think it’s okay. I’m not a huge SW or sci-fi fan so I think some of it is lost in me. I would’ve been okay skipping but I had determined to get on everything.

I get in and the CM on the other side of the single rider warmly greets me. She basically said I was going to get my own pod and I could choose any position I wanted. So no wait, walk on! I don’t know why the CM outside said the wait time was correct. Maybe she didn’t know or maybe they have to?

View attachment 836372

I choose the gunner seat! I’ve actually been able to ride both engineer and pilot even as a single rider so I decided to do the position I’ve never done. The CM suggested I do it in manual mode.

I was terrible. It was fun to have my own pod. A friend on Instagram told me I should have done Chewie mode. I have heard of it but didn’t research since I wasn’t prioritizing this ride. I bet the CMs would’ve helped!

I walked out into a very lightly populated GE.

I decide to head over to Oga’s. I didn’t want to drink anything but I wanted to ask if I could peek my head in. Since one of the perks of these events is walk-ups to this and other special spaces in GE, I thought asking didn’t hurt.

The CM was super nice and said sure, but another coworker, also super nice, reminded him they needed to ask their supervisor. No biggie! I was okay if I didn’t go in. But they got her and she said sure!

View attachment 836373

As you can see, it was pretty empty. The CM stayed with me while I looked but I end up just taking a quick picture and leave. Didn’t want to overstay my welcome and still felt strange since I wasn’t ordering. I have a reservation for my March trip at DL. They have more food options so hoping for a mid day break and also that my kids like it.

I head out of GE and head towards Toy Story Land. The first thing that comes up is Alien Swirling Saucers. There’s no line but I have to wait an entire run of the ride because I couldn’t walk fast enough to load.

View attachment 836375

I know people say this is the same as Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree at DCA but I think this ride felt much much worse to me. Maybe it’s much more fun with the kiddos laughing their heads off, but Aliens felt rougher and not as fast as I remember MJJ to be.

But it’s a ride, and ride it I did.

At this point, I grab a snack!

View attachment 836376

I basically bite off an ear. I can have a little bit of sugar but definitely couldn’t eat the whole thing. I feel a little bad just eating an ear off since it was a little wasteful, but I paid for the AH event, and this was the only way I’d be able to get a little bit of Mickey bar because I’d never buy it for myself!

I’ll say, at DL, for some reason, they seem to ultra freeze their Mickey bars, so they come out super hard and you need to wait. These were perfect softness without having melted yet!

The only new ride at this park was SDD. It’s posted 25 min but since this was a definite must-do, I jump in line. It’s only 11 minutes until loading.

View attachment 836377

Ok, hot take. I thought it was only okay and don’t get why this sells out so quick normally and gets extremely long lines. Maybe I just prefer more thrilling coasters.

But I’m glad I did it. I just wouldn’t wait long for it.

I grab another snack.

I hop over to the other thing I really wanted to do, TSM. This is one of those rides that always has a long line at DCA but I always hope to improve on my score but don’t get enough chances. So one of my goals was to just keep riding this to try to improve.

View attachment 836378

This queue is way better than DCA. This line was one of the longer lines of the evening. I think it took about twenty.

I read up on strategies and aimed to try to score higher!

View attachment 836380

I thought that was pretty good!

View attachment 836381

But darn, missed best in vehicle by 3k!

At this point, I’d done everything but ToT. It was great, even with slight waits. It’s only 10:45 or so and I still have an hour and 45 of event time! What else would I decide to do?!! To be continued…
I would love to do a after hrs and experience ogas... without the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter