Vonage Internet Telephone

bradisgoofy

Retired, can see MK fireworks from my window, CM
Does anyone use this service? I am giving it serious consideration because it would cut my phone bill by 2/3.

my telephone service is through my cable and internet company, and Im not 100% certain...but Im pretty sure its the same concept as Vonage. So far Ive been perfectly satisfied with the quality...and you're right without a doubt...its MUCH cheaper than the phone company!!! I was able to keep my original phone #....long distance is free in the continental US...call waiting with caller ID, call forwarding...all included.Theres a modem connecting a phone jack to a cable wire...and after its installed, ya never even know its there. Ive only had to reset it one time after a power outage.

I have Packet8, which is another VOIP service. We had Sunrocket for a couple of years but they went belly-up a year ago and we had to switch. VOIP had some quality issues when they first came out -- echoing, dropped calls, mostly sound quality issues. Those problems have been solved. You can't tell the difference anymore.

I like Packet8 because it was one of the first and has been in business for a while, but Vonage has a good rep. What I like most is that I have unlimited calling to US, Canada, South America and Europe all for about $17/month. I can also go online and block specific numbers from calling me -- get a call from a telemarketer and go online, block it and you'll never get a call from that number again! It works great! :cool1:

Oh, they have any calling feature you can think of too. All you need is high speed Internet.

Hello - We use Vonage. There are a few quality issues sometimes, but for the most part, we are happy. The price difference makes it worth any small issues we have had.

We don't have vonage or any other. We just got dsl, and it goes out all the time, so wouldn't even think about it. But I have had a really great long distance phone carrier. It is called big red wire, and it is really cheap. It is like .03 to just about everywhere! If you can get your friends and family to join, it is free to call each other, like a cell plan LOL.

Here is the link if anyone is interested Big red wire

I think my largest phone bill ever was about $8 for a month, and that is for my house, And I pay for my aunts phone as well, and for my business that I had.

We have verizon's version of voice IP (voice wing) along with verizon DSL.
When we 1st installed it we had some quality issues but after a phone call to tech support is was taken care of. The biggest problem with DSL is, if you loose power then you loose DSL service and then you would loose your phone.
You also want to make sure you have the E911 service in your area. This allows the 911 center to trace your number if there is an emergency. Without E911 the center would not know where you are calling from and this could be bad if you can't talk for some reason or get cut off.
You also have to buy the cordless phones if you want a phone in another room since the phone goes through your computer set up.

I think it is worth it as long as you have that E911 service.

...The biggest problem with DSL is, if you loose power then you loose DSL service and then you would loose your phone.

But because very few people have chorded phones anymore...if you lose power your phone goes out even with regular phone company service, since cordless phones need electricity.

I wouldn't use Vonage simply because of their stupid ads.

How the heck would a phone service "Project your business?" You know, Mr. Dumass in the commercial saying.... "It projects....my....business." What's that suppose to mean?

But because very few people have chorded phones anymore...if you lose power your phone goes out even with regular phone company service, since cordless phones need electricity.
And that is exactly why I have at least one el cheapo corded phone connected to my bare bones AT&T landline.

Does anyone use this service? I am giving it serious consideration because it would cut my phone bill by 2/3.

I don't know anything about the Vontage system, but we are all Verizon and for $155/mo we have a hard wired land line in the house, two cell phones with 500 prime and unlimited weekend/evening and phone to phone min, and unlimited internet wireless which is really nice when on the road. The wireless phones and internet have been great with no dropped calls and great coverage everywhere even in the trailer. Maybe not the cheapest or fastest, but it meets our needs/use extremely well and we are very happy with it. Verizon just installed FIOS in our subdivision and we are swamped with them pushing their various packages, but since we have had DirecTV for the last 15 years or when they first started out which we also really like and Verizon's marketing falls on death ears in our housebold

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter