VDH resale prices are lower than I expected.

This is why we bought VGC direct earlier this year and were positively filled with glee after forking our money over to Disney.
We may get there some day. I do like having a 1bedroom…just really hard for me to justify (and I can justify a LOT) because we are local and rarely plan our trips more than a few months in advance.

We’ve only done one 4-day DL trip so far and splurged $1000/nt for DLH club level king bed studio. It was such a wonderfully immersive way to visit DL where you can really feel the Walt shine. The resort delivered in sooo many ways. That definitely made me more inclined to pay $400/nt studio at VDH via DVC purchase. I don’t have offsite experience to compare but am leaning toward saving $100-$150/nt not necessarily being worth it. If it’s the type of thing you really enjoy, there’s going to be a difference.

We haven’t stayed at VDH (will be using VGF points to do it in the next few months) but I have stayed at DLH and PPH. I don’t think you can objectively say that those hotels are better than the JW Marriott or even the Westin or Courtyard Marriott with its own water park, even at comparable pricing. I assume most people considering owning DVC really love DVC theming (and have convinced themselves that DTD is a part of a special bubble), but some of us also like luxury and convenience— two of the hotels I mentioned have soaking tubs and higher quality service across the board and one has bigger rooms with bunk beds and extremely convenient location. For the same price (which it never is) I would assume most of the DVC board would prefer a Disney hotel, but at least a few of us occasionally prefer a luxury hotel (and simply pay for Uber black to drop us off at the esplanade). VDH is a good purchase for some, but I think it is less special if you don’t enjoy walking through DTD.

All that aside, if you value location or your time more than your money, there is NO comparison with VGC, which saves you at least 15-20m round trip compared with basically every other option. There’s a reason nobody is selling resale VGC contracts for less than the cost of direct DLH points. 😉
Yes to all of this.

I stayed in a 1 bedroom at VGC using SSR points for 4 nights this January. It was great for all the reasons you already know.

I’ve stayed at the aforementioned Hyatt House twice. It was great in very different ways! I loved having a Walgreens and a real honest to goodness Starbucks in the building. I like being able to walk downstairs to breakfast and everyone eats whatever at the free buffet and we’re out of there in ten minutes. I liked the room. Both the DLH and HH walks are 0.6mi on google maps. The pool was a lot better at VGC. The food was a lot better at VGC but a lot cheaper in and around HH.

My #1 preference for future Disney trips would be to stay at VGC on SSR points again. Failing that, I would take that Hyatt House in a heartbeat.

Where I began and my point is that what is a nonstarter for me Is paying 20-40% more in just taxes and dues to stay at VDH than to stay at HH, and the idea that I’d pay 4-5X more for a cash rate is even more of a nonstarter. The alternative vacation will be too much fun to make it make sense to pay wither of those prices. Those are the points I was trying to make.

Now we stay in 1 or 2 bedroom villas for two weeks a year and all I had to do was part with $150K and pay $5k in dues each year.

I mean when you put it this way it’s eye opening. $5,000 for two weeks is $357 per night, I get that, but $150,000, yikes.

I too stayed at VGC with my SSR points and would like to do it again but if I can’t I will definitely take a hotel on Harbor or the Westin or something. VGC was amazing but not $150K amazing lol

We haven’t stayed at VDH (will be using VGF points to do it in the next few months) but I have stayed at DLH and PPH. I don’t think you can objectively say that those hotels are better than the JW Marriott or even the Westin or Courtyard Marriott with its own water park, even at comparable pricing. I assume most people considering owning DVC really love DVC theming (and have convinced themselves that DTD is a part of a special bubble), but some of us also like luxury and convenience— two of the hotels I mentioned have soaking tubs and higher quality service across the board and one has bigger rooms with bunk beds and extremely convenient location. For the same price (which it never is) I would assume most of the DVC board would prefer a Disney hotel, but at least a few of us occasionally prefer a luxury hotel (and simply pay for Uber black to drop us off at the esplanade). VDH is a good purchase for some, but I think it is less special if you don’t enjoy walking through DTD.

All that aside, if you value location or your time more than your money, there is NO comparison with VGC, which saves you at least 15-20m round trip compared with basically every other option. There’s a reason nobody is selling resale VGC contracts for less than the cost of direct DLH points. 😉
Understood, but the comparison was a one bedroom suite at Hyatt House vs a one bedroom villa at VDH (and I threw in VGC because I am biased towards my home resort).

I stayed at Courtyard Theme Park entrance and it was fine…

I haven’t stayed at the Westin or JW, but I have watched some YouTube’s and think they are both very nice.

The Westin is actually what had me think REALLY hard about pulling the trigger on VGC contracts.

The cost of a Westin 1bd suite during my October travel dates is $1k/night (+parking if so rent a car). VGC would be the equivalent of $633 in amortized buy-in and dues. VDH would be $704 with tax…. and VDH has more sleeping spaces because of the Murphy and pull down….

So I’d still go with the Disney options because of costs, theming, and walk ability…. but to your point, JW and Westin are LUX if that is the vibe you are looking for and don’t want to shell out upfront money for a Disneyland timeshare.

Ok… I will stop preaching to the converted now….. as it’s great that there are so many good options to stay at close to the parks.

I mean when you put it this way it’s eye opening. $5,000 for two weeks is $357 per night, I get that, but $150,000, yikes.

I too stayed at VGC with my SSR points and would like to do it again but if I can’t I will definitely take a hotel on Harbor or the Westin or something. VGC was amazing but not $150K amazing lol
You should have seen my wife’s reaction when she had me add up the buy in of our 1677 points over the last two years…..

I apologize but I'm going to pile on and say that it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare values between VDH/VGC and some good neighbor hotel. The reason we bought VGC was because my wife and kids only wanted to stay at the Grand Cal. Admittedly I only put up a fight once and capitulated. The last time we went to Grand Cal before going to the Villas, we were paying over $800/night for a standard woods view, and that was back in 2019. Are there times when it's cheaper today? Yes, but not the times we are able to go. Now we stay in 1 or 2 bedroom villas for two weeks a year and all I had to do was part with $150K and pay $5k in dues each year.
That's a lot of VGC points! :D

I don’t aspire to be the richest person in the cemetery, but it’s at least worth comparing how the $7500 in interest plus $5000 in dues would compare to cash trips. I think it would cover about 10-12 nights in a one bedroom suite?
You are both of course correct, but I am checking DISboards while drinking nice tequila and playing piano bar songs… so take everything I type right now with a friendly grain of salt!

You are both of course correct, but I am checking DISboards while drinking nice tequila and playing piano bar songs… so take everything I type right now with a friendly grain of salt!
Oooh, that sounds delicious! Whatcha drinking?

I'm far from a connoisseur... but love a new libation to try!

Looking ahead you also need to consider inflation, just what will be the price of rooms 10 years from now. I was once the biggest time share sceptic ever, but with DVC all the claims they make seem to come true.

I live in the deep South, a product of the same bayous and jazz life depicted in The Princess Frog. I've never been to Disneyland, and my husband has that on our bucket list. He wants to visit every Disney location. This thread has convinced me that staying on-site is what I would prefer to do. I'm excited to see that the 7-month window is a reality, especially when I retire soon.

The flinterest (opportunity cost) on that $150K is about $7500/year.
From a strictly financial perspective it's not justifiable. However, I'm the kind of person that gets annoyed at the nickel and diming. It's kind of like ripping the band aid off. You cringe as you put down the big money but then you feel much better about staying each time. If I had to drop $20K to get a 2-bed suite during spring break each time, I probably wouldn't. That's really the point. We stay when we want and in the type of room we want and I feel like I'm "saving money." Perception is reality sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter