(Complete 4/20!) How Many Cookies Does One Couple Need? - Dec 2023 Trip Report

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
Hello! Welcome to my trip report! This is a weird one for me - we got annual passes last year and so we went in December and January and despite being back from our January trip for two weeks, I'm only just getting ready to start the December trip report! I love writing trip reports because it allows me to basically relive the trip, so hopefully this is at least a little bit interesting for people are not me. :)

The details:
who: me and my husband Trevor
when: Wednesday Dec 13 through Tuesday December 19th
where: Saratoga Springs

Introductions:
I'm Tiffany, I'll be your ghost host for this trip report. :) I'm 36 and while I'm a librarian by education, I currently do federal records management, since records management is where the pay is, and I gotta pay for Disney! Favorite princess is Sleeping Beauty, but I also love Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel. Favorite ride: I can never pick just one -- Haunted Mansion, Rise of the Resistance, Tower of Terror, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind...I can't pick! But I also love the food and the theming -- the music and all the attention to detail just makes me happy.

My traveling companion is my husband Trevor. He's 38 and loves Star Wars, but has grown to love Disney--his favorite characters are Boba Fett, Vader and Stormtroopers, and on the non-Star Wars side, Grumpy. His favorite rides used to be Haunted Mansion and Star Tours--he doesn't really like coasters or thrill rides, but I did get him to try Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain and last January I got him to try Rockin Roller Coaster and Everest, so he's now ridden all the coasters at Disney. Woot! :)
small 2023-12-14 - Epcot - Epcot_11.jpg

Ok, let's get started! So the whole impetus for this trip was wanting to see Disney at Christmas time, and taking advantage of our annual passes. We ended up renting DVC points to stay at Saratoga Springs; I didn't love the idea of being that far from the parks but being super close to Disney Springs sounded cool and I'm always up for a new Disney resort. :) I'd done some planning on the things I wanted to see (like the Magical Menagerie at Animal Kingdom, and all the resort decorations) and the things I didn't care about seeing (like Candlelight Processional and maaaaaybe Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). Though as the time went on, I of course caved and we bought tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party (what can I say, I'm more of a Halloween gal vs Christmas, and wasn't sure if I wanted to pay the money for it). And Candlelight Processional was "meh" for me until they announced the narrators and BRENDAN FRASER was there when we were. I had to hurriedly rearrange our MVMCP tickets so we could catch the last night of Brendan Fraser. But I did it, and booked a dining package for us. Woot!

And then finally, it was the day we were heading to Disney! I'd finally gotten smart and booked us noonish flights vs the buttcrack of dawn, so we took the day off work, and got to sleep in a tad. So excited!

(I am going to apologize in advance - I got burned by the whole imgur pictures not embedding thing, so now I just embed my pictures directly in the posts, but there's a limit of 10 and if you are at all familiar with any of my previous trip reports, I include a LOT of photos. a LOT. So there will be a LOT of posts...sorry!)

Table of Contents

Departure Day - Wed Dec 13, 2023 (part 1)

Wine Bar George Dinner + Christmas Trees! - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 2)
Not The Last Post of Christmas Trees - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 3)
Almost but Not Quite the Last Bunch of Trees - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 4)
Last Post of Christmas Trees! - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 5)
Saratoga Springs Room Tour! - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 6)

Heading to Epcot - Thursday Dec 14, 2023 (part 1)
Rides Before Breakfast - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 2)
Garden Grill Feast - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 3)

The End of the Feast and Soarin Over California! - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 4)
And You Thought There Were Lots of Christmas Tree Pictures - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 5)
From the Floating on the Water to Walking Through the Water - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 6)
The Way of Water - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 7)
How Long Would You Wait for September? - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 8)
How Many Characters Can We Meet? - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 9)
Christmas at the Boardwalk! - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 10)
Yacht and Beach Club Decorations - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 11)

Can the Rolls Possibly Be as Good as they Say? - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 12)
You Think You Know What This Post Will Be About - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 13)

Brendan Fraser!!! - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 14)
Great End to an Amazing Epcot Day! - Thurs Dec 14, 2023 (part 15)

Magic Kingdom Morning! - Friday Dec 15, 2023 (part 1)
Rides and Pictures (though let's be real that could be the title of most of my posts) - Friday Dec 15, 2023 (part 2)
How Many Jingle Cruise Pictures Can I Have? - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 3)
More Things We Don't Normally Do! - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 4)
Where is the MRS elevator? - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 5)
Grand Floridian! - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 6)
Naptime and the start of MVMCP - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 7)
How Many Princesses and Princes Can We Meet? - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 8)
At Least 2 More Princesses - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 9)
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Continued! - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 10)
Skip Tron on a Party Night - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 11)
Cookies and Hot Dogs! - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 12)
How to End MVMCP - Friday, Dec 15, 2023 (part 13)

Rainy Morning at Hollywood Studios - Saturday, Dec 16, 2023 (part 1)
Pivot! - Saturday, Dec 16, 2023 (part 2)
From Frozen to Indy - Saturday, Dec 16, 2023 (part 3)
Who Knew Jock Lindsay's Has the Best Decorations? - Saturday Dec 16, 2023 (part 4)
Is There Anyone at Animal Kingdom? - Saturday Dec 16, 2023 (part 5)
Can We Get Front Row on Everest? - Saturday Dec 16, 2023 (part 6)
Tiffany Does Crazy Things in Pursuit of Bread - Saturday Dec 16, 2023 (part 7)

Solo Days Together! - Sunday, Dec 17 2023 (part 1)
Separate Rope Drops - Together! - Sunday Dec 17, 2023 (part 2)
Rain Rain Go Away! - Sunday December 17, 2023 (part 3)
Best Corn Dog in the Parks! - Sunday Dec 17, 2024 (part 4)
Trevor Sees Captain America! - Sunday Dec 17, 2024 (part 5)
Genie+
Works Best Solo - Sunday, Dec 17, 2023 (part 6)
Tiffany Gets Distracted - Sunday, December 17, 2023 (part 7)
From the Jungle to the Wilderness! - Sunday Dec 17, 2023 (part 8)
Wilderness Lodge at Christmas - Sun Dec 17, 2024 (part 9)
A Non-Rainy Animal Kingdom Night - Sun Dec 17, 2024 (part 10)
Who Won the Race Back to the Resort? - Sunday, Dec 17, 2023 (part 11)

Animal Kingdom! Together! Without Rain! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 1) (plus a small RL update/PTR note)
Will We Finally Make it on Dinosaur? - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 2)
A Magical Time with the Menagerie! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 3)
Nomad Lounge - Monday, December 18, 2023 (part 4)
Goodbye to the Menagerie! - Monday, December 18, 2023 (part 5)
Surprise Gideon's Visit! - Monday, December 18, 2023 (part 6)
Dinner at Yachtsman's Steakhouse - Monday, December 18, 2023 (part 7)
Muppets Christmas! - Saturday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 8)
Tip Top Club and Pictures! - Saturday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 9)
How Silly Can We Be? - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 10)
Exploring More of Jollywood Nights! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 11)
Rescue Rangers and a Snack! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 12)
Coasters and Towers! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 13)
Jingle Bell Jingle Bam! - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 14)
Good Night to Jollywood Nights - Monday, Dec 18, 2023 (part 15)

The Packing Problem - Tuesday, Dec 19, 2023 (part 1)
Shopping! - Tuesday Dec 19, 2023 (part 2)
One Last Time with the Happy Haunts! - Tuesday Dec 19, 2023 (part 3)
Chugging Around the Magic Kingdom! - Tuesday Dec 19, 2023 (part 4)
What?! A Slinky FastPass?! - Tuesday Dec 19, 2023 (part 5)
Back Home - Tuesday, Dec 19, 2023 (part 6)

Wrap up and Haul!

Last edited:
Departure Day! - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 1)

Our flight was at 1:20 pm, out of DC's National airport, about 30 min from our house. So we'd done most of the packing the night before and then finished packing up Wednesday morning after sleeping in a bit. Work has been crazy for me for the past year or so (like 10/12 hour days - at least I get the overtime!), so Tuesday night packing was a bit nuts. But we got it all set with a few minor things left to do Wednesday morning and by 10:45 we were in the uber heading to the airport. It all went super smoothly - we were at the airport a little after 11:20, in plenty of time to check all our bags (gotta take advantage of that Southwest perk :) ).

We breezed through security with our TSA pre-check - this was only our second trip with pre-check and it continued to be AMAZING. It took maybe five minutes? And no need to pull out our liquids or take off our shoes. I love it.

Once through security, there's not a lot of options at this particular terminal, so I got a very overpriced deli sandwich (cause hungry). I split it with Trevor though 'cause I'm a good wife. :)
IMG_5131.JPG
I was gonna make a comment about me being a good trip reporter but clearly I forgot to take the picture until after I'd had at least a few bites. :D Oops!

We'd paid for Early Bird Check in and managed to get spots in the A boarding group (don't remember which ones, oops) - we always try to get A group when heading to Orlando so we can get the seats we prefer ahead of the family boarding.
IMG_5132.JPG
Looks like probably between A40 and A45, based on the stanchions next to us. :)

Boarding took a while but we were able to get the fancy exit row with a TON of extra legroom for Trevor:
PXL_20231213_182214105.MP.jpg
And we got super lucky cause we had an empty middle seat between us. WOOT! Boding well.

We landed a few minutes early, and headed down to baggage claim, where...we wait. I hate waiting for bags.
IMG_5134.JPG
Anyone else miss when Disney would pick up your bags and take them to your hotel for you? So you just got off the plane and headed right to the Magical Express? *sigh*

But by 4:09, we had our bags, which actually wasn't too bad. Maybe 20 min? We called for our Lyft and then I dunno what happened cause if there's any place where I don't expect to wait a while for a Lyft it's the airport, but we waited 15 minutes for our Lyft to arrive. At least the weather was nice! It was not too cold, and not too humid. (also I STRUGGLED figuring out what to pack for this trip - would it be hot or cold? should I bring spirit jerseys and jackets? Usually we know it's just going to be hot so we bring shorts and tshirts but this time...I was struggling y'all)

But soon enough we were going under the sign! (4:43 pm per the time stamp :D)
IMG_5135.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
Hello Saratoga Springs! It's a blurry picture but I was so excited to see the racehorse all decorated for Christmas - our first real Christmas decoration. :)

We got dropped off and as we were heading in, we heard the 5 pm race horns go off, which was kind of cool. :) We got checked in - we'd booked a standard room and while I'd done my research and requested a section, we were in the one section that's like the furthest away and I didn't want. :( Oh well! I was disappointed now but it actually wasn't too bad. But I didn't know it yet - we weren't heading to the room! As is our tradition on arrival days, we dropped our bags at Bell Services and immediately called for a lyft and headed to the outlets! We bought some things (I'll do a haul at the end), but then quickly booked it back to Disney Springs for our dinner plans!

Well, that's a bit of a lie-before dinner, cookies!!
IMG_5142.JPG
Gideon's wasn't doing a virtual queue, and the line was back here to Morimoto Asia. But we figured it probably wouldn't be too long, and we had time, so we decided to wait.

Well, Trevor waited while I ducked over to the Ganachery to get some chocolates and such! I got some to take home and something for our friends and some hot chocolate for me.
IMG_5143.JPG
Small, but yummy and thick and chocolatey - delicious!

We only ended up waiting about 25 minutes, and then -
IMG_5146.JPG
Gideon's! Well, that's Trevor doing a crazy face, but we were in Gideon's! Yay!

So we have a whole system for Gideon's: we each check out separately (so we can get more cookies...#sorrynotsorry) and we take the cookies home and freeze them. Gideon's cookies freeze really well - I just had one this afternoon, actually. Delish. And I have a friend who goes to Disney too and every time each of us goes we get some cookies for the other. So we ended up with 16 cookies, as well as a couple slices of cake, a bag of the chocolate-covered cookie bites, and one of their new collectible tins. #disneymath #worthit

IMG_5149.JPG
Pile of cookies behind the fire!

We were feeling pretty good about ourselves - a great way to start! It actually worked out really well - our dinner reservation was at 7 pm. When did we leave Gideon's? 7:03 pm. And dinner was right across the way at Wine Bar George. Woot!

(dinner will be in the next post :) )
(I told you there'd be lots of pictures)
(sorry but not sorry enough to stop?)

Joining in! We skipped Gideon’s cookies this recent trip and tried Summer House!
I miss the luggage service so much from Disney!!

Following and looking forward to reading all about it!
(Your hair looked amazing in the boarding line up for SouthWest)

Love your trip reports :-) Looking forward to reading about your holiday adventure.... Following!
thank you! I'm so glad :)
Joining in! We skipped Gideon’s cookies this recent trip and tried Summer House!
I miss the luggage service so much from Disney!!
OOOOH how was Summer House? I want to try it but we haven't made it yet.
Right? the two things I wish Disney would bring back - luggage service and package delivery to either the front of the park or your hotel... though maybe it's good they don't cause I would buy so much more :)
I'm here Tiffany! Love your TRs and so excited to read this one!
yay welcome! I'm so glad!
The real question is - which cookies did you get? lol
LOL so many - so far it was just cookies and cream and a few dark coffee cake :D
Following and looking forward to reading all about it!
(Your hair looked amazing in the boarding line up for SouthWest)
yay! So glad you're here (also thank you!! :) )
You guys have got Gideons wired for sure!
yea...we may have a problem. :)
welcome!

Also can I just say I'm so glad for your comments? It's been a real rough few weeks and will continue to be so, and it was so nice to log in after work and read your nice comments :) Thank you!

Hi

Enjoying your report.

I couldn’t figure out how to just copy/paste a portion of the review that I wanted to comment on, but at Gideon’s you don’t have to check out separately. You are 2 people so can still buy up the max amount per person even if it’s one transaction. My husband, Scott, and I do that when we go and buy the max amount - mainly to freeze and bring back home.

Looking forward to reading more.

Noreen

Joining in! We were there the week before you, absolutely fell in love with Disney in December. Can't wait to read more!

I'm here!!! And ready to read along!!! We have Wine Bar George reservations for our arrival day coming up. So I can't wait to here how you guys liked it!! And what you got.

Anyone else miss when Disney would pick up your bags and take them to your hotel for you? So you just got off the plane and headed right to the Magical Express? *sigh*
I miss it ALL THE TIME!!!! I am so glad I got to enjoy it when the girls were little. There really was something magical about hte bags just showing up in your room.

nd we take the cookies home and freeze them. Gideon's cookies freeze really well - I just had one this afternoon, actually. Delis
I proposed to Andy that we bring our vacuum sealer with us, to seal up the cookies once we get them back to the room for maximium freshness!

we each check out separately (so we can get more cookies...#sorrynotsorry)
Wait, do you HAVE to check out seperately? There are clearly 2 of you?

We just realized how good the cake is there! So good!!!

Hi

Enjoying your report.

I couldn’t figure out how to just copy/paste a portion of the review that I wanted to comment on, but at Gideon’s you don’t have to check out separately. You are 2 people so can still buy up the max amount per person even if it’s one transaction. My husband, Scott, and I do that when we go and buy the max amount - mainly to freeze and bring back home.

Looking forward to reading more.

Noreen
huh! I didn't know that - I think we were told at one of our first visits that it was per transaction or something, so we just assumed we needed to check out separately. Thanks for the tip!
Joining in! We were there the week before you, absolutely fell in love with Disney in December. Can't wait to read more!
hi!! Disney in December was indeed awesome - we had a great time! Glad you did as well!
I miss it ALL THE TIME!!!! I am so glad I got to enjoy it when the girls were little. There really was something magical about hte bags just showing up in your room.
RIGHT?! so cool when it just showed up. Our first couple trips I combined with a work trip on the first day so we only got to use it like once or twice but it was AMAZING.
I proposed to Andy that we bring our vacuum sealer with us, to seal up the cookies once we get them back to the room for maximium freshness!
oooooooooh that's brilliant. we usually end up bringing ziploc and tupperware, like crazy people.
Wait, do you HAVE to check out seperately? There are clearly 2 of you?

We just realized how good the cake is there! So good!!!
I just found out from Noreen's post above!! Learn something new every day!
and yes the cake is AMAZING!

Wine Bar George Dinner + Christmas Trees! - Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (part 2)

Ok time for dinner! We got checked in and seated pretty quickly (we almost always get seated immediately at Wine Bar George, which is just another perk. :) )

We were seated inside in the main room with the bar, for the first time! We're usually either on the balcony or in the little hallway by the bathroom, which we really like. But the main room wasn't bad either.
IMG_5150.JPG
View of the Boathouse out the window.

We ordered the two mocktails that they have - the orgeat lemonade and the cherry smash. We really like both of these - I like the lemonade best, with the subtle almond taste from the orgeat. Yum!
IMG_5152.JPG
(the lemonade is the yellow one in the tall glass).

Then, time for food! We always like to try things we haven't tried yet when we come, so this time we got:
IMG_5153.JPG
Pumpkin fritters: these were just ok. Not our favorite, but the sauce was yummy.

IMG_5154.JPG
Birria braised short rib: triple corn grits and pepita crumbles. This was yummy - short rib isn't my favorite flavor generally but this was yummy.

Then we split the ribeye:
IMG_5155.JPG
This was really good flavor wise - there was kind of a lot of fat and such which made it a bit hard to cut, but the flavor was SO YUMMY. And I especially loved the savory bread pudding - savory croutons. So delicious with the seasoning. I'm kind of on the fence with it being a bit hard to cut with all the fat, but the flavor was really yummy.

So overall, not one of our favorite meals at Wine Bar George, but still good. We love this restaurant, though I do wish they'd bring back the pork pluma - I still dream about that pork pluma.

ANYWAYS! Done with food, it was time for the main attraction - the Christmas tree stroll! I'd seen videos in the past of the Christmas tree stroll so I was excited to see the trees for myself. And to do some shopping at the same time. :)
We got the little map from the gelato place right by Wine Bar George, and then headed off to look at all the trees.

The first tree was the Guardians of the Galaxy one right by the Star Wars outpost and the Marvel store.
IMG_5157.JPG
So fun! A bit subtle but I liked the topper being Star Lord's mask. :)

We also definitely looked in the stores there and then ended up buying an Avenger's bag for Trevor. Cause he has a problem with bags. And to be fair it was a cool bag AND it was like half off. Brilliant. :D

Walking to the next tree we saw rollerskating snowflakes!
IMG_5158.JPG
They were MOVING so this was the best picture I got. Nice atmosphere Disney Springs - I approve. :)

IMG_5161.JPG
Encanto tree! One, I love the doors and then two, this was when we discovered there was something weird going on with Trevor's magic band because mine was lighting up if I just looked at the tree but Trevor's was like NOPE not lighting up no matter what. I think we did eventually dig down into the settings and figure out what setting we needed to turn on but man that was like 20 min of my life I'll never get back. :)

IMG_5163.JPG
Lion King Tree! I love the topper - hey there Simba!

IMG_5164.JPG
Then the DVC tree! It wasn't super impressive except for this like whole diorama of (I think?) the new cabins at Fort Wilderness or something close like that. :D I've never seen a whole diorama on a tree before!

(There will be a LOT more Christmas tree pictures)
(you're welcome)

So overall, not one of our favorite meals at Wine Bar George, but still good. We love this restaurant, though I do wish they'd bring back the pork pluma - I still dream about that pork pluma.
So, what would you suggest we get when we go? I think we have to get the flaming cheese. Just for presentation alone.

Trevor's magic band because mine was lighting up if I just looked at the tree but Trevor's was like NOPE not
We have not gotten new magic bands. They are just too $$$ for us to buy 4 at once and the thought of charging 4 magic bands plus all of our other things seems so annoying! I am sure we will eventually but we are holding out for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter