New England Revolution break a historic attendance record (thanks to Messi).

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
New England Revolution break a historic attendance record (thanks to Messi).
It's a shame the record was broken by those who only came to see Messi and won't come back to support their local team in the future. I wish non soccer fans would at least once watch their local team live during non one-off games. I wish I could be happier as a soccer fan but I believe most in that stadium from last night won't unfortunately pay attention to their team in the near future. I'd like to know if New Englanders think my assessment is correct or am I wrong?

When Pelé came to the NASL in the 70s the same thing happened. Not to the same extent, but attendance went from about 10k to 25k in the cities he visited, then dropped again.

It's a shame the record was broken by those who only came to see Messi and won't come back to support their local team in the future. I wish non soccer fans would at least once watch their local team live during non one-off games. I wish I could be happier as a soccer fan but I believe most in that stadium from last night won't unfortunately pay attention to their team in the near future. I'd like to know if New Englanders think my assessment is correct or am I wrong?
That happens in other sports too.
How many people went to MLB games to watch Barry Bonds(?) and whoever try to beat the home run record?
How many people went to NBA games just to watch Labron James play?
How many people went to NFL games to see Payton Manning or Tom Brady?

The "Woah is me, I wish non soccer fans would give the sport a chance" gets old. And I'm a casual fan. If people don't like it, that's fine.

The "Woah is me, I wish non soccer fans would give the sport a chance" gets old. And I'm a casual fan. If people don't like it, that's fine.
I know I sound like a broken record. I'm fine with people not having soccer as their thing. It just annoys me as a fan of MLS when people who trash the league will then go to the Messi games and boo their home teams. MLS will try to sell it as the league attendance is permanently on the rise while soccer fans around the world will just laugh. The only thing Messi is doing is making MLS, Apple, and Adidas money. When he leaves/retires, how many "new" fans will still watch MLS post Messi? 2026 is supposed to be the watershed soccer year in North America. The question is how true will that statement be? I hope with the greatest optimism that it's true but I fear how wrong it might be.

How many "watershed" moments have their been in US Soccer? I swear I've been hearing about it for decades. 2026 is just another one.

And you have no idea if those booing NE were from there or not. Even if they were, they could have been Miami fans.

Just my opinion of course, but the more "give the sport a chance" comments, the more people get turned off. It will either happen or it won't.

My husband and son were part of the record-breaking crowd. My son is a huge fan of soccer generally, and Messi in particular. However, they won't become regular fans of the Boston team. My oldest bought tickets as a birthday present for her brother, and my husband and son flew up from North Carolina to see it. They had a wonderful time, but won't be back--unless Sis is generous again next year.

Usually, my son just watches European soccer--he's a Manchester City fan.

My husband and son were part of the record-breaking crowd. My son is a huge fan of soccer generally, and Messi in particular. However, they won't become regular fans of the Boston team. My oldest bought tickets as a birthday present for her brother, and my husband and son flew up from North Carolina to see it. They had a wonderful time, but won't be back--unless Sis is generous again next year.

Usually, my son just watches European soccer--he's a Manchester City fan.
Thanks for the response. Congrats to Man City winning against Nottingham Forest F.C. today. 😊

How many "watershed" moments have their been in US Soccer? I swear I've been hearing about it for decades. 2026 is just another one.

And you have no idea if those booing NE were from there or not. Even if they were, they could have been Miami fans.

Just my opinion of course, but the more "give the sport a chance" comments, the more people get turned off. It will either happen or it won't.
If we win the WC in 2026, would that really grow the sport in the USA and Canada? I don't really have an answer. If not, than what's really the point of the national training center, academies, and coaching training courses? I know the sport has to grow organically, unlike China forcing kids into the sport, but it seems unless we win the prestigious tournaments (Copa America this summer for example) than kids and families won't really pay attention to it and try to gain lasting interest. USL and MLS keep expanding but how many on this board where their nearest team plays or the names of players on the team? This is not a dig on anyone who does not follow the sport. I'm just pointing out unless our domestic leagues truly have growing lasting support, where is the cap on the American and Canadian interest in the sport going forward? Cricket and rugby are making bids for the American and Canadian markets as well. Don't get me wrong, I believe more sports in general is a great thing for our citizens to get involved with. But in general, nations that follow those three most popular sports have a strong following in them to begin with.

Thanks for the response. Congrats to Man City winning against Nottingham Forest F.C. today. 😊
My daughter and her fiance also attended the game. Given that she teaches immigrants, her students were very invested in her attending, and she told them, if New England wins, they would get half an hour of free time. Obviously, they won't be getting that, but she's a hero among her students for going.

It was so funny, when I picked them up from the airport, my son was bubbling over. He's a super introvert, and autistic to boot, so he doesn't "bubble" over anything! ("He was giddy as a school boy!" "He was never giddy, even when he WAS a school boy."--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

My daughter and her fiance also attended the game. Given that she teaches immigrants, her students were very invested in her attending, and she told them, if New England wins, they would get half an hour of free time. Obviously, they won't be getting that, but she's a hero among her students for going.

It was so funny, when I picked them up from the airport, my son was bubbling over. He's a super introvert, and autistic to boot, so he doesn't "bubble" over anything! ("He was giddy as a school boy!" "He was never giddy, even when he WAS a school boy."--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)
Soccer is the sport that unites us all. :grouphug:🌎⚽ Will you guys be watching the Copa America and Euro Championship this summer?

My son might. The rest of us, not so much--the only thing we watch on ESPN is the Scripps Spelling Bee. And maybe the Boston Marathon--my oldest is a runner (not on THAT level!), plus it's a huge party in the Boston area.

I know I sound like a broken record. I'm fine with people not having soccer as their thing. It just annoys me as a fan of MLS when people who trash the league will then go to the Messi games and boo their home teams. MLS will try to sell it as the league attendance is permanently on the rise while soccer fans around the world will just laugh. The only thing Messi is doing is making MLS, Apple, and Adidas money. When he leaves/retires, how many "new" fans will still watch MLS post Messi? 2026 is supposed to be the watershed soccer year in North America. The question is how true will that statement be? I hope with the greatest optimism that it's true but I fear how wrong it might be.
And making himself lots of money without really giving anything to MLS.

When Miami played our team last year (72,000 in attendance), and he didn't even get on the plane because he was "injured" but yet seen attending his kids games he disappointed lots of "fans" as you say. We tried to sell our tickets (front row 2nd level) but as word trickled he was picking and choosing when he played we realized we be using them. The 4 seats next to us had a family from Argentina and they had paid over $400 PER SEAT to see him. They didn't even know until DH told them he stayed home. They were upset. Lots of tickets were sold to people who only wanted to see him but were not going to support any team or return. Really sad because soccer is a very reasonable professional sport to attend, and to me one of the most exciting.

DH & DS were both huge Euro soccer fans, paid for the channel and watched nonstop. DH a big Arsenal fan and actually attended several matches in England. DS was a Manchester fan. They traveled to Chicago when Wayne Rooney first played in the US. But once we had a team coming to our city, they were one of the first to sign up for the waitlist for season tickets. They were one of the first called and got great seats. While they still will watch some Euro ball they are 100% supporters of MLS. With season tickets they get free MLS streaming so watch some other teams here as well.

They also attend most the cup play here and just a few weeks ago went to see USWMT play Japan, taking a good friend from Japan. DS has traveled to a few cities to see away games and he/DH are traveling to Nashville next month to see our team play, and DS is going to St. Louis in June with his best friend. His friend knew nothing of soccer but DS got him interested and he's now had season tickets for a few years, moved this year to right behind ours. (and got several other friends so interested they bought season tickets).

Last edited:
It's a shame the record was broken by those who only came to see Messi and won't come back to support their local team in the future.
This has been how the Revolution (and MLS) operated since the beginning IMO.

That's why I stopped supporting it.

From my experience, it doesn't surprise me that the attendance record would be broken by New England. When we lived in Massachusetts, we found soccer to be very popular.

From my experience, it doesn't surprise me that the attendance record would be broken by New England. When we lived in Massachusetts, we found soccer to be very popular.
I believe it was a record attendance for NE, but NOT for MLS overall .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter