LONDON HOTEL HELP

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the regular community board before I saw a UK dedicated board. Hoping more UK friends might see this here and could offer some help!
Hubby and I are visiting London on the tail end of a Trip to England in July. Hubby was born in England and emigrated to Canada when he was 3, so this is my first time in 32 years visiting his home country. We will visit relatives and on our way to fly home have put aside 3 nights to explore London together. I am having a hard time choosing between 2 hotels and could use some help if you have ever stayed in one of these hotels I am considering or know the area. Firstly, I am a deluxe hotel gal, I ℒℴ𝓋ℯ my nice hotels. 4 star or better and a executive lounge is what I like. I have narrowed it down to 2 Hiltons....the first is a brand new Canopy hilton London City it gets rave reviews, ℒℴ𝓋ℯ the chic industrial vibe, bright beautiful rooms, full breakfast and great customer service are what this hotel is known for. It is close to the Tower of London where we have a planned tour and where I want to see the closing of the key ceremony. It is close to a tube station Algate ? I think it is called (sp) might be off. Second Hilton I am considering is London Bankside. This one has a executive lounge and a pool/hot tub...2 big plusses. Great customer service. It is within walking distance of a tube station (5 min I think I read) and it has a breakfast and snacks/ drinks throughout the day as I would book a 2 twin executive room. The price difference between the 2 is only 200gbp - the Canopy is $1200 for our 3 nights and the Executive room at bankside is $1400 GBP. It is pricey as it is July which is high season. I like the more lighter look of the Canopy rooms, but the amenities an pool at the bank side is a huge plus for that hotel. Which would you choose? If you have any insight as to the area or which might be better I would ℒℴ𝓋ℯ to hear your thoughts - especially if you have experienced one of these 2 hotels.
Thanks so much, the decision has me changing my mind every 2 minutes LOL

Unfortunately I can’t help with the actual hotels themselves as I haven’t stayed at either, but in terms of area I think you’d be slightly better off with the Canopy though there’s not much in it. Neither are exactly central but both are close enough to tube stations (Canopy has the choice of Aldgate or Tower Hill stations, for Bankside it’s only Southwark) so that to get into the centre of London will be quite easy. BTW I’d ignore the “5 minutes walk to a tube station” as you can say that about pretty much EVERY London hotel!

The Canopy is obviously near the Tower of London and Tower Bridge plus is also on the fringes of the “City” of London (e.g. the business district) meaning there’s a lot more posher hotels and restaurants in the area. Bankside really only has the Tate Modern gallery on its doorstep, also isn’t too far from Shakespeare’s Globe theatre but it is south of the river and most other touristy locations are on the north side.

The only other thing I’ll say is that the old thing of how much time are you planning on staying in the hotel? London has so much to see and do that you might end up only using the room to sleep in which means there’s a risk of paying extra for facilities that you might never get time to use.

Unfortunately I can’t help with the actual hotels themselves as I haven’t stayed at either, but in terms of area I think you’d be slightly better off with the Canopy though there’s not much in it. Neither are exactly central but both are close enough to tube stations (Canopy has the choice of Aldgate or Tower Hill stations, for Bankside it’s only Southwark) so that to get into the centre of London will be quite easy. BTW I’d ignore the “5 minutes walk to a tube station” as you can say that about pretty much EVERY London hotel!

The Canopy is obviously near the Tower of London and Tower Bridge plus is also on the fringes of the “City” of London (e.g. the business district) meaning there’s a lot more posher hotels and restaurants in the area. Bankside really only has the Tate Modern gallery on its doorstep, also isn’t too far from Shakespeare’s Globe theatre but it is south of the river and most other touristy locations are on the north side.

The only other thing I’ll say is that the old thing of how much time are you planning on staying in the hotel? London has so much to see and do that you might end up only using the room to sleep in which means there’s a risk of paying extra for facilities that you might never get time to use.
Thank you so much for your advice, this is 100% what my hubby said to me , as I had originally paid $1869 GBP to stay in a king junior suite at the Canopy. He said just get the twin room as it brought the price down to $1260 GBP saving over $600 GBP which was a pretty big difference. He said we'd be so busy we didn't need the extra space, just a place to sleep. I expect I could add the same analogy to the Bankside in deciding how much time I'd really have to use the pool/executive lounge....and also what I meant by the 5 minute comment was the Southwark tube is probably a 5-10 minute walk as compared to more just outside the hotel door like Canopy to Adgate is. I expect canopy would be easier to get around other sight seeing spots from ,and my favourite/most looked forward to tour is at the Tower of London, so being close to there is a big plus :)
You have made me feel better about keeping the Canopy Hilton London City. I was just being swayed by the 5star rating and the executive lounge/pool at bankside. I am usually a 5 star hotel gal and it's hard for me to let go of my want for all the amenities /comforts I usually enjoy! I appreciate all your great advice!

No don't worry, I totally get the luxury bit - as someone who seems to collect Hilton HHonors points as a second hobby I know full well the allure of getting a room with executive lounge access added on!

Typically on the rare occasions I stay overnight in London (I work there, but commute in from outside the city) I usually stay at one of the Doubletree's, but I have a preference over the ones in the West End because they're nearer to the attractions I know I'm going to be spending more time at, or are at least on the same tube line as them.

What are your dates? Does it have to be a Hilton property? London is awash with 4-5 star hotels, and as Steve said they’re all “5 minutes” from a tube station. I wouldn’t worry too much about the actual hotel being right on top of one, you’ll do enough walking at either end to balance it out!

No don't worry, I totally get the luxury bit - as someone who seems to collect Hilton HHonors points as a second hobby I know full well the allure of getting a room with executive lounge access added on!

Typically on the rare occasions I stay overnight in London (I work there, but commute in from outside the city) I usually stay at one of the Doubletree's, but I have a preference over the ones in the West End because they're nearer to the attractions I know I'm going to be spending more time at, or are at least on the same tube line as them.
Thanks! I decided to go with the Hilton London Tower bridge as it is close to reliable transportation options (tube, bus, etc..) and it is close to the Tower of London which is a major part of our trip, we have a tour booked for there. It seemed to be in a great area.

What are your dates? Does it have to be a Hilton property? London is awash with 4-5 star hotels, and as Steve said they’re all “5 minutes” from a tube station. I wouldn’t worry too much about the actual hotel being right on top of one, you’ll do enough walking at either end to balance it out!
Hi Mark, we will be there in a pretty high season - July time. I decided to go with the Hilton London Tower Bridge as it seemed in a great location and easy to get around to all that we need to . I want to minimize my extra walking as much as I can, Disney trips almost kill me, LOL so if I can save some steps I will be much happier :) I am happy with the choice of hotel, and executive lounge will just be a plus should we happen to be around for a drink in the afternoon.

Hi Mark, we will be there in a pretty high season - July time. I decided to go with the Hilton London Tower Bridge as it seemed in a great location and easy to get around to all that we need to . I want to minimize my extra walking as much as I can, Disney trips almost kill me, LOL so if I can save some steps I will be much happier :) I am happy with the choice of hotel, and executive lounge will just be a plus should we happen to be around for a drink in the afternoon.
If you’re around for a couple of days, I’m sure you’ll be able to make use of it at least once! Enjoy the Tower of London, it’s an all day experience and it’s amazing, my fav thing to do in London.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter