Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

Maybe even a few rooms are completed so they can take pictures and use for marketing?
I seriously doubt that there are any rooms completed at this point. More likely is that they will build model rooms at some location for those that are interested.

Since cash bookings begin in 2 weeks, shouldn't Disney release artist renderings of the rooms, details of amenities, and cash booking prices very soon? Maybe even a few rooms are completed so they can take pictures and use for marketing?

IIRC, the pricing for VDH was never released ahead of time. It was simply reported by those who called to book.

I certainly would imagine we will see at least get the specific categories available.

But, honestly, the way they have rolled out this project seems extremely weird in terms of timing and details.

I agree, definitely different than other properties. I remember in 2019 RIV also opened in December but I bought my points when they went on sale in March.

IIRC, the pricing for VDH was never released ahead of time. It was simply reported by those who called to book.

I certainly would imagine we will see at least get the specific categories available.

But, honestly, the way they have rolled out this project seems extremely weird in terms of timing and details.
I think they probably have a lot of people they consider RIV buyers telling them that they are “waiting for Poly” and don’t want to compound the problem.

I seriously doubt that there are any rooms completed at this point. More likely is that they will build model rooms at some location for those that are interested.
That makes sense. Does DVC still have the model rooms at the DVC center at SSR? Or maybe in the new Disney Springs DVC area they could have a model room?

We stayed at Moorea shortly after opening. Tokelau was still being completed. It was strange looking into some of the Tokelau rooms and they were fully furnished. However, other rooms were still heavily under construction. I can't recall when they first allowed DVC guests to stay in the Tokelau longhouse.

That makes sense. Does DVC still have the model rooms at the DVC center at SSR? Or maybe in the new Disney Springs DVC area they could have a model room?
No. The SSR "Preview" Center is now just offices. There are no model units there anymore. The DS "Preview" Center is very small, and only has video screens for viewing properties.

Wow, I never realized that. Ugh, 2 more weeks of agonizing.

Definitely strange and frustrating.

Entire PVB association has been strange. IIRC, they started sales in Florida during January, but it wasn't until late March or April until they could even admit PVB existed to people in California. Other states had different dates. I recall my guide couldn't discuss it with me for 2-3 weeks. Guides were very unhappy because there were so many different rules and it was impossible to know if someone was calling in from a state that was illegal to discuss (example, someone living in California could be in Tampa Bay on their cell phone).

People were posting back then the date their guide could finally talk to them in their state. Deeds on occompt confirmed the slow trickle. Back then, contracts were notarized in person and not over the internet, so it was easy to see the state someone signed in.

I think we should probably be a bit more fair in our comparisons. Riviera is a DVC resort in totality and doesn’t have a Disney Hotel component associated with it to give it more grandeur. The only other resorts like that are OKW and SSR, which are simpler in theming and style. But DVC in general keeps it simpler, likely to do with budget.

And if we’re being totally fair, the actual VGF building, though lovely, is no better than Riviera, but it’s elevated by the work Disney did for the hotel, I can’t deny that. Same thing with BRV (though that lobby is still pretty nice, I’ll give it that lol) and PVB. And the new tower will be the same. We talk about how boring and small the lobby is for Riviera but it just feels that way compared to Disney’s Grand Floridian Hotel, not Disney Vacation Club Villas at Grand Floridian. The size of the lobby fits the size of the DVC resort and unfortunately for RIV, it doesn’t have a bigger Disney hotel for it to assume its vibes and grandiosity. The only exception to all this is Kidani which is incredible on its own, and again, even that is not as grand as Jambo House.

Not liking the theming is fair enough, it’s all subjective really. BLT is not my cup of tea, so I don’t stay there, but I get it’s utility and location are great. I think it’s silly to deny that Riviera is a beautiful building built with great function, size and some of the best food on Disney property because it’s not as special as the Grand Floridian Hotel or the Great Ceremonial House. The rooms are fresh and airy and classic, like the French Riviera. The artwork around property is so cool and understated but still so well thought out. The grounds and lake/skyliner view are stunning. And although I would have loved if they added more pop and color, maybe slightly taller ceilings in the lobby to add a bigger Christmas tree (maybe they can put a giant tree in the courtyard next year like they do in front of the Contemporary!) But I’m sure if they did do that many would complain about how kiddish and unrealistic it is.

I personally think the new Poly renderings look amazing and can’t wait to see what the rooms look like but there are clearly a lot of people who hate it and want more. And the more I think about it, the more nervous I get about how small the new pool is and that 1 restaurant is not enough. Three medium-sized pools for more than 1000 rooms seems incredibly disproportionate. I really hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling they’ve skimped on dining. I think DVD is assuming that most patrons will treat the tower as an extension of the Polynesian Village (and Grand Floridian, given it’s proximity) instead of making it a fully functioning building on its own, adding more strain to an already busy resort. The Island Tower and Riviera are basically the same size and Riviera has a signature restaurant and 3 other QS/dining locations and 2 pools. As a DVC resort, I think Riviera is an amazing addition to the gamut, but there’s never pleasing everyone, we like what we like…or don’t like 🤷🏼‍♀️
Bingo

Poor Saratoga, it’s less hate and more apathy I think but I hear you. And although it’s not my favorite, it’s mostly because DS doesn’t really hold much appeal for us for right now, parks are still very much the priority and coming from NY, we solely Disney transportation and Uber only people lol. But the renovations are amazing what a major facelift for the whole resort. If I ever do a multi week stay I’d want to do it at either SSR or OKW just for the peace and space.
You know, the thing for us is that we drive every trip, so having access to the car is big for us. SSR is perfect for that, whereas BWV is horrible. OKW would also be good as well, but DW just had a knee replacement, so an elevator is a must for us, which is something not guaranteed at OKW. Also, IMHO, I think that SSR has the best collection of pools at WDW. We always request to be near the Paddock pool with it's slide, hot tub, refill station, and great chicken sandwich!

Kidani, actually, is great for parking as well as you can park underneath the building.

This thread has made me much more interested in staying at RIV— it sounds a lot calmer (and the one time we’ve taken Skyliner to RIV to catch an Uber, my kids loved the lobby, fwiw. I think of myself as preferring the monorail but the actual experience of being on the Skyliner is always more pleasant for our family (I have moderate claustrophobia and probably just normal/average fear for heights)…also, we are predominantly Epcot people (rarely visited MK outside holiday parties until Tron opened) and I hate when Poly feels crowded. I still can’t imagine buying at RIV with resale restrictions, but I think I’d consider it if it became enough cheaper that the hit we’d take selling it was reflected in the direct sale price difference (v PVB or AKV or AUL— admittedly RIV is currently reselling higher than AKV/AUL, but I’m not confident that will still be the case in 5-10 years).

Returning to the topic at hand, it will be very interesting to see if Poly Tower ends up with “best of both worlds” of RIV’s tower convenience and PVB/VGF right there for amenities and heavy theming, or if it’s worst of both worlds (extra walk to get to tower but still horrible crowding of shared facilities), or something in between.

OKW would also be good as well, but DW just had a knee replacement, so an elevator is a must for us, which is something not guaranteed at OKW.
About 1/3rd of the rooms at OKW do not require stairs. Just request "first floor for medical reasons". We did this last month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter