Does anyone think Lookout Cay looks disappointing?

The launch of Disney's new private island was a highly anticipated event for Disney cruise enthusiasts like myself. However, upon exploring the island, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. In comparison to Royal Caribbean's private island offerings, Disney's island seems remarkably tame and lacking in the excitement and innovation that Disney is renowned for.

One of the key aspects I was eagerly anticipating was a spectacular pool area or water slides for the kids—a hallmark of many Disney attractions. Yet, to my disappointment, such features were notably absent. A mini water park or themed Disney attraction on the island, perhaps inspired by beloved movies like Moana, could have truly elevated the experience. Instead, the island feels like it's missing that magical touch that defines Disney.

Castaway Cay, Disney's existing private island, sets a high standard with its signature activities like snorkeling around statues of Disney characters. This kind of unique and immersive experience is what I had hoped for on the new island. However, so far, there hasn't been any standout "Disney" element that captures the imagination or creates that special Disney magic.

It seems that Disney may have leaned too heavily into cultural themes at the expense of what makes Disney exceptional—the ability to transport guests into a world of fantasy and adventure. While cultural immersion can be enriching, it shouldn't come at the cost of the enchanting and thrilling experiences that Disney is known for.

The new Disney island lacks the wow factor and signature Disney touches that would have made it truly exceptional. I remain hopeful that Disney will take feedback into account and inject more of that beloved Disney magic into their island experience, ensuring that it lives up to the high standards set by other Disney destinations like Castaway Cay and their iconic theme parks.
Honestly, if I want to have a waterpark features, I’m gonna go to a waterpark in the US. I’m actually glad Disney does it toned down. I’m also from an environmental standpoint, adding a pool and slides, etc. just doesn’t fit into a secluded beach feeling. What I want from Disney is a nice authentic Caribbean beach island that is safe and has infrastructure like washrooms, etc., and nice beaches that I can walk in and out of easily without having to cut my feet or worried. I can’t pull myself out.
Give me some shade and some chairs that’s all I need.

For me, I look forward to chilling on a Caribbean island not some crazy waterpark

Let me know the difference between going to a Disney island and pretty much any other nice resort in the Caribbean where those resorts come up short?

Been on beaches like Baby Beach in Aruba that is amazing for kids as an example or on other adult only Sandals beaches at Royal Plantation.

Its why I am always shocked that people put Castaway as supposedly the main choice of itineraries. If its your main reason then there are better options out there.

Also you use "all-inclusive" as some broad term. I didn't just state All-Inclusive but gave a specific example of one of the many top end resort options that beat Disney in every category except the Disney theme.
Honestly for us convenience is a huge factor. I can get to Orlando from my home airport on a 2 hr flight vs 6+ hrs of travel with connections to any caribbean destination. We stay a night or two at disney world and get a little fun at the theme parks before the cruise without the exhaustion that goes with a full theme park vacation. Plus I like all the indoor activities on the cruise--I don't like to be in the hot sun all day (even on Castaway, which I love, we never stay more than a half day) whereas when we've done all inclusives it feels like all the entertainment is outdoors. Last thing is as a family of 5 the cost factor works differently for us--there are plenty of cabins on the ship that sleep 5 at a modest upcharge from a standard size room, but at hotels we often have to book a costly suite or 2 rooms.

There is very little separation between the Coco Beach Club and South Beach at Coco Cay. Not unlike what it looks like Disney has done for Serenity Bay and the Family Beach.
But there is a lot of separation at Castaway which is what many of us like and/or are used to. It's nice to not have to deal with screams and such from kids when you're on an adult-only beach.

The Club at Coco is not adult-only either. So the point you were trying to make really doesn't track.

Air travel to FL v farther island.

A feeling of safety and familiarity.

Whether reasonable or not, these are some of the issues.

You aren't wrong. Even going to Puerto Rico from the Western U.S. made for a very long day (leaving our house in the early AM and arriving at 10 at night), versus an easy direct five hour flight to Florida. The long flights, with at least two connections, plus customs, for us to get to much of the Caribbean is exactly why we haven't done it outside of a cruise ship. My wife keeps pushing to go to Harbour island, but when I look at what it takes to get there I am exhausted just thinking about it. Getting to much of Europe is easier and often cheaper.

When I have looked at many resorts, they also seem more expensive than a cruise unless they are the crappy ones.

That, and it's really nice showing up knowing we will like our room and "hotel," but still get to see other places. As much as I have loved so many of the islands we have visited in the Caribbean, there is always a nice feeling coming back to the comfort of the ship to relax. Many of the resorts we read about have such mixed reviews that I could see us showing up and not enjoying it but being stuck there for a week. It seems the food at most of the all inclusive resorts is pretty bad from the reviews I have read, and if we don't go all inclusive, that means going out to find a spot for dinner each night, dealing with waits to eat places, etc. That is just fine sometimes, and even enjoyable in the right cities/countries, but not the type of vacation I am looking for when I decide to cruise. I don't see why loving Castaway is incompatible with also loving getting there on a cruise.

Last edited:
I'm definitely concerned about the family and adult beaches being right next to each other. That doesn't seem like the adult section will be very serene. The distance from the ship to the family beach is also a curious choice. We have a family beach Cabana booked for the middle of June, so DCL clearly thinks they will be ready. Guess we will find out soon enough.

It looks nice to me. I’m excited to see something that is substantially different than Castaway Cay. It’s nice to have options, but it’s totally reasonable for many guests to prefer the Castaway Cay experience. I am similarly happy that the Wish is substantially different from the classic Disney ships. I don’t want new clones of what Disney already has.

As another poster said, the area between the entry to LP and the actual beach/ main area looks pretty far - map shows only tram path and no walking path. Will it feel like a cluster on arrival with everyone having to take the tram, rather than some folks walking as they do now at CC?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter