Does anyone think Lookout Cay looks disappointing?

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
The launch of Disney's new private island was a highly anticipated event for Disney cruise enthusiasts like myself. However, upon exploring the island, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. In comparison to Royal Caribbean's private island offerings, Disney's island seems remarkably tame and lacking in the excitement and innovation that Disney is renowned for.

One of the key aspects I was eagerly anticipating was a spectacular pool area or water slides for the kids—a hallmark of many Disney attractions. Yet, to my disappointment, such features were notably absent. A mini water park or themed Disney attraction on the island, perhaps inspired by beloved movies like Moana, could have truly elevated the experience. Instead, the island feels like it's missing that magical touch that defines Disney.

Castaway Cay, Disney's existing private island, sets a high standard with its signature activities like snorkeling around statues of Disney characters. This kind of unique and immersive experience is what I had hoped for on the new island. However, so far, there hasn't been any standout "Disney" element that captures the imagination or creates that special Disney magic.

It seems that Disney may have leaned too heavily into cultural themes at the expense of what makes Disney exceptional—the ability to transport guests into a world of fantasy and adventure. While cultural immersion can be enriching, it shouldn't come at the cost of the enchanting and thrilling experiences that Disney is known for.

The new Disney island lacks the wow factor and signature Disney touches that would have made it truly exceptional. I remain hopeful that Disney will take feedback into account and inject more of that beloved Disney magic into their island experience, ensuring that it lives up to the high standards set by other Disney destinations like Castaway Cay and their iconic theme parks.

I am saving judgment until I see it - but, yes, it looks disappointing. Not for your stated reasons. Actually, the opposite.

Since it is on an island where Bahamians can drive to work, the emphasis can be placed on cultural influence. Read that as music and dancing.

I have been to a few cruise line islands and seen videos of Coco Cay. I always come away with a greater love of the plainness of Castaway Cay.

The water of the Bahamas is what I love; Lighthouse Point looks like a wonderful spit of land with clear water.

Not a fan of plastic water slides and tubes. Would I enjoy an actual pool? Yes, but not another watering hole + bar like many tropical destinations offer.

I am a Serenity Bay fan - that calm, clear water that has plenty of room is my idea of beach paradise. Set among a calm vibe of the island. I expect LC@LP to have more wave action, but it looks gorgeous.

(Edited for spelling - the word cruise, of all things).

Last edited:
It was purposely made to be more low key. Agreements were also made with the government about usage etc. I guess if people are disappointed, they will need to read up more about the design goals before they go.

As far as I can tell, it includes just about everything you can find on Castaway Cay: snorkeling, bikes, some water sports (not as much so far), secure kids' club, cabanas, separate (sort of?) adult beach, family game area, BBQ, bars, shopping, hair braiding. But it adds some new things like, cultural exhibitions and excursions, plus this...
DCL-Lighthouse-Point08-Waterplay-Area.jpg

I'm more suspicious of there being no clear demarcation between the Family Beach and Serenity Bay. I'd be especially NOT interested in a Serenity Bay cabana as those appear to back directly up to the Family Beach food area.

Hopefully they'll have CMs stationed there to prevent kids from coming into SB, but I'm doubtful. I love that they are clearly two very separate areas at Castaway.

As far as slides or a water park, that was never promised. If you want a water park on the private island, you need to look at Royal Caribbean and "Perfect Day at Coco Cay" (what you're officially supposed to call it - not just Coco Cay).

I think like with anything you can't please everyone so for some it will be a hit and others a miss. I'm not forming an opinion until I visit in September but honestly I am excited their incorporated more Bahamian culture! I don't really enjoy CC that much so I'm very curious to experience Lighthouse Point.Truth be told it may not be my thing either because it will still be a resort style beach packed with thousands but I'm excited to see the design and landscaping.

We've done both Castaway Cay and Coco Cay several times. We have not yet done Lighthouse Point but will be seeing it in a few more months.

I'm happy with the differences between the two CCs. I love Disney's version. I'm just OK with Royal's version. Just OK because they really push the extra cost section.

But then again for me it's more about just enjoying the island, having a typical picnic lunch and a bit of shopping. I anticipate that LP will have plenty of both. So I'll reserve judgement until then.

To each their own. Coco Cay gives me the ick - I have no interest in going there. I am much more in favor of a quiet private island with a great beach. I'm not sure what I think of the new DCL island experience, but I am excited to try it in January!
r.e. bold -- Having been to the different Cruise Line's Islands and preferring a *no frills and serene Island,* in our opinion the ultimate is Ocean Cay Reserve. It is the only Cruise Line Island Reserve and what can be done on and around the Island is strictly controlled by Bahamian Ecological Mandate, no slides, rides, bikes -- a premium given to enjoying Mother Nature and chilling out.

Coco Cay is beautiful I’m sorry I’m a huge Disney fan but the island is absolutely beautiful for families and adults for those who want quiet those who want to drink it legit has everything and LOOKS nice.

For Disney this looks very basic and barebones but it’s ok for those who want to enjoy this go for it

To each their own. Coco Cay gives me the ick - I have no interest in going there
I'm with you - and the upcharge prices! If I'm going to the Bahamas, I want to experience the Bahamas, not a water park that I can go to anywhere. I much prefer having something that is more focused on the island and the culture. Disney also committed to doing this to minimize the environmental impacts on the island and to emphasize Bahamaian culture as part of their deal. If they'd said they planned to build a water park, there would have been no deal.

r.e. bold -- Having been to the different Cruise Line's Islands and preferring a *no frills and serene Island,* in our opinion the ultimate is Ocean Cay Reserve. It is the only Cruise Line Island Reserve and what can be done on and around the Island is strictly controlled by Bahamian Ecological Mandate, no slides, rides, bikes -- a premium given to enjoying Mother Nature and chilling out.
It will be interesting to see if MSC can improve the health of the ocean and seafloor around Ocean Cay. The long-term damage done by dredging in this area of the Bahamas, including that which created the man-made Ocean Cay, may take decades.

I hope at some point in time the 7 night itineraries include it. I'm not sure if LP is enough to get me on a shorter cruise but I do like what I see.

I'm not a beach person, I won't ever snorkel because I hate fish, I turn lobster red. I only go to the beach because my kids like the beach, and the family water play artist rendition looks nice on LP.

It will be interesting to see if MSC can improve the health of the ocean and seafloor around Ocean Cay. The long-term damage done by dredging in this area of the Bahamas, including that which created the man-made Ocean Cay, may take decades.
Ocean Cay is at this moment closed down for renovations and improvements. We have our 51st Anniversary Cruise next month and are hoping the Island is back open.

We leave PC on Sunday, arrive on Monday, stay over until Tuesday noon, then Nassau Wednesday and back on Thursday.

Have you been to Ocean Cay and if so do you like what MSC has done? Very stark but trying to keep it NATIVE.

Have you been to Ocean Cay and if so do you like what MSC has done? Very stark but trying to keep it NATIVE.
I have not. It was just a discarded sand pile when MSC acquired their lease, so I would be glad if they could restore the ocean habitat. I am not sure what I think about the island itself as development there is all artificial.

On paper, it has everything Castaway Cay does and a bit more. I think the layout is a bit funky, with needing to take a shuttle from the ship to the main section, but as long as they have enough transportation, I think it will be just as good.

I'm happy they didn't go with the Coco Cay look. That is way too sterilized to be a Disney cruise destination.

On paper, it has everything Castaway Cay does and a bit more. I think the layout is a bit funky, with needing to take a shuttle from the ship to the main section, but as long as they have enough transportation, I think it will be just as good.

I'm happy they didn't go with the Coco Cay look. That is way too sterilized to be a Disney cruise destination.
Sure, it seems like Castaway Cay, being an island from the 90s, might be expected to have expanded its offerings over the years. I appreciate when people express that they prefer not to have waterparks or additional charges, but ultimately, it's a matter of personal choice—no one is forcing participation...? I believe Disney could have enhanced their offerings on the private island, incorporating imaginative elements like a Disney-themed waterpark, pool area, and adult space, while still honoring the local culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter