DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Maybe Disney should have some DAS guest appreciation days. We should get to experience the parks without standby guests lunging infront of our wheelchairs for a change!

Just kidding but the thought just crossed my mind
If so, the perks are like they are going to in line of Magic Key holders at DLR or the planned banner and single float for D23 visitors on D23 day :dogdance:

Depending on how Disney handles guests that would normally be advised to use RS, but can’t because they’re alone, it might or might not be as easy to add people to a DAS that was initially issued for a single user.
There have been a whole range of assumptions on this thread about how Rider Switch might be utilized at WDW. All I know is there are some very obvious differences between the WDW Guide and the DLR Guide; whether one (or both) will be updated in coming weeks is unknown. At this point, I'm not ready to embrace any of the assumptions made on this thread about how Rider Switch will work at WDW.

The PP or her husband should probably mention the potential for additional party members during their DAS pre-registration video chat.

I just want to confirm something because I've heard a YouTuber who gives the impression he knows what he's talking about, say something that I don't think is true, concerning the new DAS rules. The current pre-trip window to apply is 2-30 days prior to the first park day. He said it will be 120 days. I've seen the 2-30 days hasn't changed and that once approved then it's good for 120 days after the first park day.

I just want to confirm something because I've heard a YouTuber who gives the impression he knows what he's talking about, say something that I don't think is true, concerning the new DAS rules. The current pre-trip window to apply is 2-30 days prior to the first park day. He said it will be 120 days. I've seen the 2-30 days hasn't changed and that once approved then it's good for 120 days after the first park day.

It's 120 days or the end date of your ticket media, whichever date comes FIRST. So, APs and other non-dated tickets would get 120 days, but folks on set tickets that expire (like a 7 day PH) will have their pass expire at the end of the final ticket use.

No, that is incorrect as far as we know. There was a podcast shared earlier with that information as well. I don't know if early info had a typo or if it's a misunderstanding.

Under the new rules, DAS pre-registration can take place up to 30 days prior to first park visit. That pre-registration approval will be valid for 30 days, and once you enter a park using the ticket DAS is attached to it will be valid for the length of ticket OR 120 days (for non-dated tickets such as AP). I think that's where the 120 comes from.

The CM on chat told me only immediate family members are given the LIMITED exceptions to the total 4 guest rule, say one parent with 4 kids and one kid has a disability all 5 can ride, but NOT extended family. So only the mom dad and siblings of the DAS guest, no grandparent. During the phone call they ask who is in the party and set it up so only those people can ride (that was the case last year with us).
The hard part to finesse is many caretaker members take turns to ride with the DAS holder to give respite to the other party members -- this is quite often the case Party of 6 where only 2-4 ride and we cancel out the remainder.

It would be great if DAS IT would be able to discern this easily and make it a limit 4 per ride - party of immediate family. I also understand Disney's ITs limit :D and that could be a bridge too far.

Breathe....Stay Calm.

We're all here because we're fans of Disney and invested in that. Levity and humor can help and is appreciated by most.
Thank you. A good reminder to all. The news was big last week, but unfortunately details are still sketchy. There has been little to no new info to discuss, which I think has lead to a lot of assumptions, hypotheticals, daydreaming, what-ifs, and why can't... Once details are available I'll post a new thread for actual experiences. In the meantime, if there isn't anything new to discuss it may be time to check out some other forums on DISboards.

I'm also going to re-post @SueM in MN 's post of OK, Not OK:

Couldn't get on right away this morning - life interferes with Internet. There are already like 6 pages since I closed it last night.

Anyway, I wanted to post some 'ground rules' based on what I've read on this thread, other forums, Facebook, etc.
OK to say: I think the new accommodations will work for me.
NOT OK to say: I think the new accommodations will work for me, so it will work for everyone.

OK to say: My (non disabled) child used return to line to leave and go to the bathroom.
NOT OK to say: It worked for me/my child, so it will work for anyone with a disability.

OK to say: I/my child has a developmental disability, so we think we will still be covered.
NOT OK to say: I/my child has a developmental disability, I think other people should be happy with whatever accommodations they get.
NOT OK to say: Developmental Disabilities are the only ones that deserve accommodations.
NOT OK to say: You are lucky you/your child has a developmental disability.

OK to say: I'm worried because the accommodations for my disability are changing.
OK to say: Things are too unclear and unsettled for me to feel safe
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is upset because accommodations are changing for them is just upset they won't get 'free Fastpasses'
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is upset is faking/didn't really need DAS

OK to say: I wouldn't mind providing proof of disability/I think proof of disability should be required
NOT OK to say: Anyone who is against documentation or doesn't want to provide it feels that way because they are faking a disability or don't have proof

NEVER OK:
Saying someone else's disability doesn't matter
Dismissing, minimizing or making fun of anyone's disability or concerns
Telling anyone what to say to try to obtain DAS

Depending on how Disney handles guests that would normally be advised to use RS, but can’t because they’re alone, it might or might not be as easy to add people to a DAS that was initially issued for a single user.
Curious how they handle this is when all DAS approval will be moved either online (or to the esplanade for DLR). It might not be something in park CMs can do anymore.

No, that is incorrect as far as we know. There was a podcast shared earlier with that information as well. I don't know if early info had a typo or if it's a misunderstanding.

Under the new rules, DAS pre-registration can take place up to 30 days prior to first park visit. That pre-registration approval will be valid for 30 days, and once you enter a park using the ticket DAS is attached to it will be valid for the length of ticket OR 120 days (for non-dated tickets such as AP). I think that's where the 120 comes from.
For WDW - what if you have bunches of sequential tickets? We never have used different tickets during a single visit so never needed to adjust DAS beyond making sure the priority of tickets were made correctly.

For DLR - it's a whole different ticket/profile system - DAS is definitely ticket specific, I know that; cause for special events like OBB we have to transfer the DAS over on the day of the event at the time of event.

That's what I thought, that the 120 days was for AP type tickets. My son has autism and DD and we've used DAS. It's a lifesaver for me. I'll be looking forward to the 30 day date on my phone.

to a disability hierarchy being created
Different accommodations is not a disability hierarchy. It is providing what is needed. Mobility, vision and hearing disabilities have all been largely unmentioned... does that mean they are the bottom of any hierarchy? No. It means they are accommodated in a different manner. Different accommodations is not a disability hierarchy.

Breathe....Stay Calm.

We're all here because we're fans of Disney and invested in that. Levity and humor can help and is appreciated by most.
I'm personally not agitated in the least, but I know others are. And it would be hard to tell them to take everything someone says as a joke especially since the post that was in response to was discussing comments about so and so's disability, etc.

And not for nothing but that poster in particular was just talking about another poster potentially getting banned for comments others didn't take the same way at all but they took it a certain way. Not sure if hits the same if it were to be said by another poster.

Yeah, he gave out some incorrect info on that podcast…listened to it on the way home from work yesterday, and I wasn’t especially impressed. To me, he seemed to imply that he had some kind of “in” with higher ups at Disney, and I was t buying it (JMO)

I’m a big fan of TouringPlans - we use it whenever we go - but I’m less than impressed with him.

This thread has now come full circle. It started with people discussing their fears that their legitimate physical disability would no longer be accommodated in a manner that would allow them to enjoy the parks, who were then asked why by several posters who subsequently told them rider switch would work for them but not for their ASD children because of reasons they couldn’t say because it would either be writing a script for fakers or we just wouldn’t understand, to mods saying not to create a disability hierarchy, to a disability hierarchy being created, to saying that those with physical disabilities are overusing DAS if not abusing it, to arguing that DAS was only ever meant for ASD, to people arguing that DAS was likely changed because of all the physical IBS fakers that abused the system. I could sum this whole thread up with “but you don’t understand, my kids needs are greater than yours and that’s who it’s intended for, try rider switch”. I think you effectively chased out all the original posters by making them feel like worthless people hogging up space in the parks. I’m sorry, some old lady who has been going to the parks for 40 years and is struggling to get a last few visits in is just as important as a kid with ASD trying to enjoy the parks, it made me genuinely sad to hear the fear these people had with the changes and they were met with zero compassion. They should both get DAS for all I care. The real enemy is the fakers, which again, will prosper.
I’ve been here from the beginning and read every single post. I hate that you feel you got no compassion. There were some bullies in the beginning but I’m not sure those all of those were people getting DAS for developmental disabilities. Some of those were trolls or people not even using DAS.

My daughter has a developmental disability and uses DAS. I do not think only people with a developmental disability should qualify for DAS and no one else. I think (and hope) that Disney will listen to everyone’s situation and accommodations will be based on individual needs. I think more people will get DAS than we think and Disney always makes exceptions. I truly hope you get the accommodations you need to have a wonderful trip!

And yes, we have started answering that we aren’t going into details about the struggles we have for waiting in line, but I would suggest that everyone on here should stop asking someone else why they need DAS or why they can’t wait in line or why can’t rider switch work AND we should all stop answering when someone does ask.

Yeah, he gave out some incorrect info on that podcast…listened to it on the way home from work yesterday, and I wasn’t especially impressed. To me, he seemed to imply that he had some kind of “in” with higher ups at Disney, and I was t buying it (JMO)

I’m a big fan of TouringPlans - we use it whenever we go - but I’m less than impressed with him.
Most insiders claiming being insiders aren't insiders -- they are merely insiders-near at best and more likely than not 3+ separations from the source.

Insiders don't talk. They may leak to others and that in itself leads to potential misinterpretation of said leaks.

The current pre-trip window to apply is 2-30 days prior to the first park day. He said it will be 120 days. I've seen the 2-30 days hasn't changed and that once approved then it's good for 120 days after the first park day.
That sounds like to me they were confusing pre-registration with how long the approval lasts once someone is approved at least the way you worded the comment here.

It must be quite difficult to keep all of it down with the differing days and the qualifiers (length of ticket or X number of days).

I hate that you feel you got no compassion.

Thank you for the kind thoughts, but I don’t have a disability. Someone in my family does- we don’t need to use DAS, but my interest in DAS was initially spurred on by a lying cheating sister in law, and I was glad to see DAS changed until I realized it’s gonna hurt legitimate users and not the cheaters. She’s still gonna get her DAS because that’s who she is.

This is how you adapt with a disability and live a happy life. Reality sucks some times but the sooner we accept it and figure out how to work with it instead of against it, the happier we are. My mom used to tell me growing up that I got to feel sorry for myself for 5 minutes when something wasn't going my way and when that 5 minutes was up it was time to figure out how to adapt. Is 5 minutes enough? Probably not, but that was the point.
And had Disney been prudent with their announcement, they would have released enough information to quash a lot of the anxiety being shared here. It's hard to adapt to something when you don't yet know what that something will be. I don't blame people who have used DAS for UC/crohns, IBS/IBD for being anxious - they've been given very little information about how replacement accommodations will function. I don't blame people for being anxious about the rider swap as an accommodation now, as there is little information delineating how qualifying for that would be different than DAS.

telling people to just move on and adapt before they have the information they need to do so seems, well, a bit unrealistic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter