• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

The bolded is a huge assumption, and in my experience wholly inaccurate on a large scale. I'm not saying that it's not true for some, but it's not a universal truth.

Yes, they need to provide accommodations for disabled people to be able to access WDW (and not just mobility accessibility). And yes, other places do so as well. Most theme parks have some kind of program - they all have different parameters. there are some that are more generous than Disney, others that are less. What they do, like disability, is a spectrum.
I agree - sometimes, "easier" is the difference between going and not going. If the whole trip is a struggle, sometimes it's just better to go somewhere else.

I personally know several a families who have used DAS, and it has absolutely made their trip more enjoyable and easier. But, did they NEED it? For them,no. Having DAS didn't make their trip possible- it made it easier and I'm happy for them that they had it.
We all know when we choose to visit a theme park what it entails. Is Disney held to a different standard?

I'm honestly asking since I know these families who have struggles don't even often choose to take their kid to Target, and certainly never a pro sports event due to issues with anxiety, ASD, IBS, etc.

I understand the accommodations make a Disney trip easier, absolutely! And it's a great offering by WDW. Do they need to do this, and why don't other places, if so?
Disney is held to a different standard because they met a different standard of their own accord. They gained some of our business for it, whether or not this holds we will see.

One of the things we do around here is we try very hard not to judge what other's "really need". If you aren't a member of that family unit there is going to be a lot you do not know about them including the extent of their issues or even co-issues that they don't talk about outside the family.

I personally know several a families who have used DAS, and it has absolutely made their trip more enjoyable and easier. But, did they NEED it? For them,no. Having DAS didn't make their trip possible- it made it easier and I'm happy for them that they had it.
We all know when we choose to visit a theme park what it entails. Is Disney held to a different standard?

I'm honestly asking since I know these families who have struggles don't even often choose to take their kid to Target, and certainly never a pro sports event due to issues with anxiety, ASD, IBS, etc.

I understand the accommodations make a Disney trip easier, absolutely! And it's a great offering by WDW. Do they need to do this, and why don't other places, if so?

Other entertainment (and places in general) do provide accommodations of various types. For example, the regional theater here will have occasional shows that are lower volume etc for people with autism, PTSD, etc. I’ve seen stores with grocery carts with a larger seat attached to accommodate older children who need it. Businesses are absolutely required to make reasonable accommodations that aren’t a significant disruption- it’s the law. The progress that has been made is hard-earned. Those who know their history know at one time within living memory people were protesting just to get curb cuts and accessible public transportation…

Other entertainment (and places in general) do provide accommodations of various types. For example, the regional theater here will have occasional shows that are lower volume etc for people with autism, PTSD, etc. I’ve seen stores with grocery carts with a larger seat attached to accommodate older children who need it. Businesses are absolutely required to make reasonable accommodations that aren’t a significant disruption- it’s the law. The progress that has been made is hard-earned. Those who know their history know at one time within living memory people were protesting just to get curb cuts and accessible public transportation…
Curb cuts and accessibility transportation are still not a "given."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter