Contractor Red Flags

One thing I did that was very helpful for finding a contractor for my kitchen remodel was to write out a detailed scope of work document that included detailed info about what I wanted to be done including examples of the products and finishes I want to use. If I was writing one for the type of work you are having done, I would specify the exact paint and color you'd want to use and the quality of the backer board used in the bathroom. Some contractors cheap out on that product, which can lead to mold. If you don't already have a working fan in the bathroom, you may need to add one to meet the current code.

Honestly, the most sincere advice I would give right now is DON’T plan a reno if it’s not completely necessary. Supply chains in North America are very disrupted in all sorts of unexpected ways. Labor availability is in constant flux, and prices on everything are riding a crazy roller coaster. These are all issues people say they understand, until they are actually affected personally by the very real chaos. It does not make for a very satisfying experience. :(

Yes. Please listen to this good advice.

We call our house the halfway house. We moved in last May (after 1 year of construction) and just got our final painting done this week. I have tilers at the house this week, stonework still being done outside, lights on back order, and the rest of a very long list. Right now is a terrible time to do any remodeling or construction. Prices are high and there’s limited availability of materials.

My BIL just sold his house hoping to capitalize on the equity he gained. He just got his bids back and can’t afford to build a house so he’s stuck in a rental trying to figure out what he’s going to do.
This. We are partially remodelling our kitchen because of some problems that really need to be fixed. Not only will it take an insane amount of time to get the appliances (November for the fridge) but material costs are so high that I had to cut back on the scope of work to stay within budget. Before the pandemic, my budget would be enough to get everything done.

We bought our house right before COVID (October 2018). It's now supposedly worth about 40% more than we paid for it. That's ridiculous. We get letters and calls from people who want to buy our house. My DH has been tempted a few times until I remind him that we still have to find a new place to live. My best friend is my real estate agent. She thinks the market's out of control and there will be some major cases of regret when it settles down and people are upside down on their mortgages.

Just stumbled upon this thread about spotting contractor red flags and couldn't help but chime in! Construction Estimating is such a crucial aspect, isn't it? It's like the blueprint of your project's success. Trusting your contractor is like laying a solid foundation - you want reliability, transparency, and expertise. As for red flags, dodgy communication or vague estimates? Big no-no! Transparency should shine through like a freshly painted wall. Personally, I've found that when a contractor's reputation precedes them, it's like finding gold at the end of a rainbow.

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon this thread about spotting contractor red flags and couldn't help but chime in! Construction Estimating is such a crucial aspect, isn't it? It's like the blueprint of your project's success. Trusting your contractor is like laying a solid foundation - you want reliability, transparency, and expertise. As for red flags, dodgy communication or vague estimates? Big no-no! Transparency should shine through like a freshly painted wall. Personally, I've found that when a contractor's reputation precedes them, it's like finding gold at the end of a rainbow.
Agree find someone working in the area who has satisfied customers, not a big fan of the 3 bid advice.

I ask for reviews on Next Door and let me tell ya, people do not shy away from truth.

I used a local contractor handyman with iffy recommendations for a multitude of jobs and overall it was ok because I would only do small tasks one at a time and pay cash when he showed up and the other half when he was done with the task. I know he wanted bulk payments but that was always a hard nope. Completely certain if I paid in a chunk the dude would have vanished, it was like feeding squirrels at a park - they only show up every day if they get a treat every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter