Are We Finally Going? (A Pre-trip/Trip Report)

So, my husband finally got around to setting up eSIMs for my son and I. Mine worked as well as it can without connecting to the Japan cell network. It turns out that our son's phone is locked. We have to wait up to 2 business days for his to be unlocked. We fly out tomorrow, Saturday. Hopefully, they can unlock it, and we don't have to get him a pocket wifi.

Hope your trip is going well! I checked into MC and my separate nights were connected as one, they didn’t even mention it and just gave me my checkout as my final day! So your stay should be seamless as well!

Sorry I haven't updated. Haven't had much down time.

Arrival

Since we had Business Class, we were able to use the American Admiral's Club in Austin and the Flagship Lounge in DFW. We had to sit on the tarmac for over an hour in DFW to wait for the storms to pass. Business Class was nice, and the food was pretty good. We didn't sleep a ton. I wanted to try to get my sleep in sync with Japan, so I didn't want to sleep the whole flight, which was their daytime. We ended up arriving about an hour late. The fingerprint reader wouldn't capture my prints, so I had to do it again with the actual immigration agent. The QR code didn't save actual time going through immigration, but it allowed us to not fill out the paperwork by hand while being jetlagged.

We found the 7 Bank ATM to get cash. Grabbed some water and snacks. Cheetos are apparently different in Japan and have artificial sweetner in them. They aren't as radioactive orange as the US ones though. Our son did not like them. Husband grabbed us some chocolate. Next we got the Welcome Suica card for our son, since his Android phone can't use the Apple Pay Suica transit option. At the taxi stand, we grabbed a cab to our hotel in Asakusa. It was pouring rain in Tokyo and sort of foggy. Our room has a view of the Tokyo Skytree. It looked really cool with the fog and lights. Should have taken a picture, but there was too much going on.

First Day in Tokyo

We were up really early. We had closed the shogi screens on the windows, but we hadn't closed the blinds. The sun was coming up around 3:30am JT. Oh yeah, Japan is the land of the rising sun. We laid there trying to sleep, then about 6:30am, there was a horribly loud earthquake warning. We both fell out of bed trying to turn off our phones and the incredibly loude phone/remote in the living room. Our son didn't wake up at all. The quake was close and was north of Tokyo in and area that's been experiencing them lately. My husband and son got Starbucks, while I finished getting ready. We had a matcha white chocolate scone, Early Grey cream donut, cinnamon roll, and a glazed donut. The scone was good and not too sweet. However, the Early Grey donut was excellent. I love Early Grey tea, so I knew this would be for me. We liked it so much, we got it again on another day. We had a lunch reservation at Pokemon Cafe and headed out.

Tried to get a Tokyo Metro multiday pass, but we never could do it at the Asakusa Station. We just ended up using our Apple Pay Suicas and Welcome Suica card. Our son's card didn't work at first, so I went back through the gate and took him over to the attendant. She fixed it; it must have needed to be enabled. Since I didn't scan my Suica when I exited, it didn't want to let me scan back in. So, the attendant fixed it for me. We must have looked stupid.

We ended up getting there early and went to the Pokemon Center/Store first. I bought a cool Pikachu hand towel, more like a think washcloth. Many restrooms here have no towels or terrible hand dryers, so many people carry their own little towel. I also couldn't resist a small Snorlax plush. Son bought some poke plushes, a Switch game, pack of cardsd, and mechanical pencils.
We still had time to kill, so we headed to the Flagship Mitsukoshi Department Store in Nihombashi. If you have ever been to the Japan Pavilion at Epcot in Walt Disney World in Florida, you have seen a Mitsukoshi Department Store. This one is huge though. Technically 2 buildings, 7 floors each, with its own Metro stop. The original building has beautiful architecture and an amazing piece of art work in the middle. We just took the escalator to each floor of each building and browsed around when we found an interesting floor. They had everything, restaurants, clothes, art, furniture, stationary, appliances, and even electronics, like cameras and toothbrushes. It was crazy. Our son bought a mechanical pencil. He's into pens and pencils. We crossed the Nihombashi Bridge on the way and way back. It's a very old beautiful bridge, but they built a highway over it.

We got back to the Pokemon Cafe in time for our reservation. As we passed the cafe store, we realized they only had 3 big Patissier Pikachu plush left. My son and a friend wanted one, so we ordered food and went head bought the goods. Another friend wanted a Pikachu plate and the ceramic Pokeball. I got a seasonal tea and dessert set themed to Poltchageist. It was good and came with a little acrylic display stand. I also got melon soda and the mixed rice plate with various veggies and a chicken stew that tasted like Sloppy Joe. They were both good, especially that Sloppy Joe thing. My husband got the curry, which was tasty. Our son got 2 orders of fluffy pancakes and an iced cocoa. He liked the pancakes but not the fruit or cream. It was a lot of food. Pikachu came out and danced to "If you're happy and you know it". It was very cute. We headed back to the hotel and chilled.
We went to the grocery store in the basement of the Tokyo Skytree mall. They had a good selection of things, especially tea and snacks.

We headed out to Shibuya in the late afternoon. Saw scary mural in the subway station and the Scramble. We went to Tower Records and bought too many CDs. Next was the Disney Store, where I bought a couple of small cute plush for friends, Pooh lemon/honey gummies, and a cool Disney Store Japan reusable bag. The bag is so cool, that I plan to buy more for friends if we get to the main store in Shinjuku. We headed across to a store called Loft that sells a variety of stuff, including stationary and office supplies. Our son got another mechanical pencil.

Then we made our last stop, Mega Donki. That place is a crazy zoo but was worth it for the Kit Kat variety. I was disappointed in the snack selection though. We finally got everything and walked out with a gigantic heavy bag of sweets. Our son bought some cheese bread. It was raining at this point, so we stood outside in the rain and ate it on the sidewalk. We luckily had umbrellas. He was still hungry. We were worried anything he would eat would be closed by the time we got back to the hotel, so he got another. We stopped at the 7 Eleven near the hotel to get water, snacks, and of course, the first egg salad sandwich of the trip. I love egg salad and was surprised to hear about it in Japan. I think I might have another tomorrow or maybe try the onigiri.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We stopped at the 7 Eleven near the hotel to get water, snacks, and of course, the first egg salad sandwich of the trip. I love egg salad and was surprised to hear about it in Japan. I think I might have another tomorrow or maybe try the onigiri.
It seems like every time I fly to Japan, someone near me is eating egg salad sandwiches. 臭い!

Second Day in Tokyo

Slept better with the blinds closed before we went to bed but still woke up kind of early. We had an early reservation for Kirby Cafe, which wasn't far from our hotel, just on the other side of the river. The cafe is much smaller than the Pokemon Cafe. It's cute though but no Kirby character. I actually thought the food was a little better. I had the omurice (omelette rice). It was tasty and very filling. We ordered the pizza dough bites, fried cheese, and quattro formaggio pizza hoping our son would like some of it; he didn't really. The fried cheese was camembert with a very tasty sweet mustard sauce. The pizza dough bites were like unsweet funnel cake bits. They came with an oil dip that was slightly sweet and seasonings that reminded me of taco seasoning. It was good too. This is the one that he sort of liked, but not the sauce. The pizza was really good, so my husband ate most of it. The bread/roll was sweet and good. My husband and I got the cafe au lait, and our son got hot chocolate. My son and I got the character marshmallows. They were the size of the top of the mug and really cute. The drinks were good. For dessert, we got the chocolate brownie parfait. It was mostly chocolate ice cream with blackberry sauce. It was small but really good. The shop is very small but had a lot more items than the Pokemon Cafe store. Our son bought an umbrella, which kind of broke in the wind the next day. Overall, the Kirby Cafe was better food, but the Pokemon Cafe was a better experience.

The Kirby Cafe is in the shopping complex with the Tokyo Skytree. We bought tickets online to the Skytree the day before. We had some time to kill, so we went to the Ghibli store called Donguri Republic. They had a lot of cute but expensive items. Our son bought another mechanical pencil and a small plush of the white Totoro.

We bought tickets for both levels of the Tokyo Skytree. The first elevator was so fast, that my ears popped a little. The view is amazing. I never realized how many rivers and canals are in Tokyo. You get a good 360 degree view. It's fairly unobstructed, and the glass is pretty clear. We took another elevator up to the highest floor. That floor is narrower and on a spiral ramp. There were pictures all over the area with some J-Pop girl band called Joyful Love. We were there during the day. It's probably cooler at night though.
We decided to not do the Imperial Palace interior tour. Instead, we walked around the garden. It was just OK. I guess I was expecting something different. The hydrangeas were just starting to bloom. I have never seen them when they are first blooming, just at full bloom. They look cool that way. There were some ruins and reproduction ruins of the Edo Castle. If you have been watching the Fx Shogun series, this is the castle that the real life counterpart to Torinaga. That was kind of interesting and made it more realistic for a Westerner not fully educated in Japanese history.

We did the Imperial Palace garden before heading to Trader Vic's in the Hotel Otani for dinner. I made reservations online, but they weren't necessary. We were early and got there about 5:30pm, right after they opened. We were the first table seated, and there was only a few tables during our entire meal. The bar was a little busier. We are tiki fans, and I was so happy to find the Trader Vic's. The food, drinks, and service were excellent. It wasn't cheap though.

Afterward, we headed to Tokyo Station to pickup our physical tickets for the shinkansen to Osaka later in the week. I wanted to reserve the oversized luggage area and to ensure we sat together, so I ordered them online. We had to get them from a ticket machine. It was incredibly easy. For such a busy station, Tokyo Station was very well organized and easy to navigate.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
You gotta try the tuna mayo onigiri! I think I had a dozen during my trip. Only had one egg salad sando and it wasn’t for me, all of the sandos I had during the trip had dry bread so I think I just didn’t luck out. Tokyo station was very neat, it hardly looked like a train station! Probably the prettiest one I saw by far

Sounds like a great start! The sunrise times are crazy in Japan!! We are coming from Central Europe which is further north than most of the USA. It will be a shock to go from 9:20 pm sunset to 6:55 pm sunset in Tokyo!

Good to hear that ticket pickup was easy. We need to do that a week from now as well! 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter