An Alphabetical Stroll Through Bali and Australia/+ a Bit of Philippines- F is for: Feeling Cute, Might Go to a Wedding! / G is for: Grand Gala!

Steppesister

DIS Veteran
A is for: Asia and Australia, HERE WE COME!

Hello Mates and Selamat datang!! Come along with me on a long-anticipated journey to the island of Bali and a 2-week “walkabout” to FOUR destinations throughout Australia. If you’re interested in hearing about the stories we create as we wander Down Under, hop onboard, subscribe on in, say G’day, and leave a comment. I know perfectly well that this is not a Disney Parks trip report, but this is where I’ve posted since 2007 and until they kick me off to the other sub-forum, I’m going to defiantly stay here. 😉

I’ll start by introducing myself. I go by Steppesister around here; once upon a time a million years ago, I lived on the windy, barren steppes of Central Asia (for about 10 years) in the loneliest part of Kazakhstan. For those of you who I’ve had the incredible privilege of meeting or talking to in person, you know me by Liesa. 😊

IMG_2020-M.jpg

I have a passion for international travel and got much of my inspiration and “calling” through growing up in the Disney parks. I even worked a short stint at Disneyland as a hostess in the Blue Bayou Restaurant in college. There are so many places that the Imagineers brought to us from around the world and my heart wants to see, taste, touch, smell, and experience the real thing.

Aside from loving Disney and travel, I dabble in photography, live half my year in Kentucky and half in Tucson. I am currently in my 4th of 5 terms of Nurse Practitioner school and, at the time we set off for this trip, I’ll (God-willing) have completed ALL of my coursework didactics and be starting my Clinical rotations in May. I’ll be spending time in a Family Practice, in a Community Health Clinic, and at an Urgent Care. There’s light at the end of a very, very, very long and extremely difficult tunnel.

I have 5 wonderful “kids”- 3 married (more on this in a bit), and 2 still single. Best of all, I have 6 beautiful grandbabies and another on the way. They are all scattered to the winds, and I don’t get to see most of them as nearly as often as I’d like. But my 5th is my “traveling buddy”. Anara went with me to Italy a year ago and we seem to travel well together.

IMG_1979-M.jpg

Now… onto the particulars. None of these destinations were really even on my bucket list when the opportunity came up to head that way. So why AM I even going then? My middle daughter (#3) is getting married about 3 hours south of Manila in Batangas/Laiya. She’s already legally married on paper but wanted a destination wedding/Honeymoon so I thought it was kinda important that I help her celebrate. Her all-inclusive looks lovely!

1707462343175.jpeg

1707462257244.png

Of her 4 brothers and sisters, only Anara is able to financially swing it. She wanted to go to Cambodia and Thailand (where she was born) but couldn't find anyone to go with her. I’ve been to Thailand 3 times and wanted to experience someplace new. At first, she sort of begrudgingly agreed to go with me because she’s got the wanderlusts as bad as I do. Now she is as super excited to go as I am. She has been a great trooper in helping me plan a bit and we’ve found ways to connect over clothes shopping, list making, even virtually packing together on Instagram Video.

After the wedding Anara will spend the next few days with her dad and stepmom (not gonna lie, it’s going to be fairly awkward with my ex there) somewhere else in the Philippines (not sure where but maybe Palawan?). While she is doing that, I am going to head to the island of Bali for 5 glorious days of touring the rice fields, ancient temples, and waterfalls.

I’ll be staying in Ubud, the cultural capital of the island and have so many plans!!! The Sacred Monkey Forest is on my list, along with a half day spa treatment (for $65!!!!!), a half day cooking class, 2 long driving loops with a pre-arranged driver, tasting Indonesian coffee (yes, I’m going to try Kopi Luwak- look it up!), and visits to a couple of traditional villages. All of this is independent travel. I try not to do group tours as I want the freedom to pace the day myself with plenty of time to photograph without someone telling me it’s time to get back on the bus.

1707462107442.png

From Bali, Anara and I will meet up in Adelaide, Australia and continue our touring. We’ll only have a very short evening in Adelaide-just long enough to do laundry. LOL! Early the next morning we’ll catch a coach transfer to the ferry that will take us to Kangaroo Island just off the coast south of Adelaide.

For the next 4 days our dream is to see as much wildlife as possible! Word has it that kangaroo and wallaby are ubiquitous. So much in fact, that we’ve been warned to not drive past dusk as crashes with animals are pretty common. But beyond that we really hope to see KI Seals, echidnas, platypus, koalas, and the many birds on the island. We’ve got not one, but two, private guided wildlife tours booked and have 3 driving tours all mapped out which will take us to 3 lighthouses and scads of beaches over the 4 days.

1707462170661.png

After our wildlife and hiking-heavy stay on Kangaroo Island we’ll head back to Adelaide before we fly to Hobart, Tasmania for a 4-day whirlwind driving tour of that island. Once again it will be heavy on the landscape and scenery type of tour. But we do have some fun things planned. We’ll stop at Seahorse World in the north, visit some tidepools, and take a boat cruise to Wineglass Bay all hoity-toity like. Anara is going to pass for some alone time and sit on the nearby beach. As we complete our circuit back to Hobart, we’ll stop at Port Arthur to visit the historic penal colony compound and learn more about the history of the prisoners that were exiled here to live out a harsh life of toil.

1707462043511.png

The Red Center is our next destination. From Hobart, we’ll fly direct to Alice Springs so we can explore the red interior, The Outback, The Bush, and do some hiking at both Uluru and Kata Tjuta- the massive monolith red rocks that are so iconic of Australia. I am having some pretty serious issues with my knee and really hope that I can do these hikes. If you have followed me long enough, you might remember that when I moved to Bowling Green, KY I stepped wrong with a box coming off my U-haul and tore my MCL. I had surgery on it, and it was fine for a couple of years, but something went very wrong with it again a few months ago and I probably need another surgery to fix it. Other than hiking some on the only couple of trails out there, there isn’t much to do, so our plan is to head back to Alice Springs where I have a lovely Airbnb reserved for a couple of nights. Taking it easy and resting, maybe doing some laundry, and a trip to the Desert Museum is probably all we’ll do.

1707461980649.png

Our next stop on our grand tour of (some of) Australia is Fitzroy Island off the coast of Cairns. Big cities just don’t interest me quite as much as finding places with fewer people and that are more nature-focused. I know that Australia is world-famous for its Great Barrier Reef so I couldn’t leave the country without experiencing it for myself. While I don’t SCUBA (yet- I’m seriously thinking about getting certified!) I have done some snorkeling. I spent weeks researching the best places for beginners to go to see the best reefs and fish and wanted a place that I could snorkel from shore. Fitzroy was affordable and has easy access, as well as being shore-accessible. So, I booked us 2 nights/3 days on the island at their resort which also has some nature walks, 2 restaurants, a turtle rehab facility, and rentable gear.

1707463196804.png

Back in Cairns, I’ve got us booked at 2 separate places, one mid-end, and 1 cheap hostel for 2 nights. We added an extra day to our trip because when I started researching flights and prices, the difference truly was made up with a cheap hotel AND a rental car than taking the earlier flight. But this was perfect because when I made the decision to add that extra day, I needed to find something to do. I had NO idea that the Daintree Rain Forest is RIGHT there! It’s the oldest rainforest in the world and is home to the giant cassowary bird. Holy smokes! I was stoked to learn that and can’t wait to go on a cassowary hunt just like Russel and Carl!! Yes, we’ll be very careful.

1707461867999.png

And that, my friends is how to take a long, well-deserved break between classes and Clinicals. Best of all, I get to connect with one of my kiddos and make some nice memories with her. I wish I could say that I’m closer to the other kids, but they are busy with their own families and can’t travel with little ones.

A few miscellaneous tidbits:

Both Anara and I have committed to traveling with ONLY carry-ons for this month-long, international trip. YIKES!! Can it be done? With camera gear, clothes, everything we need? We’re about to find out! We did our packing together just yesterday and for now, everything I need seems to fit into my two small bags. The last thing to go in is my mother-of-the-bride dress which is still being altered.

We’re taking 10 flights total; it’ll be very, very interesting to see if any are cancelled or delayed along the way!!!!

I needed 2 country-specific visas, one for Indonesia, and one for Australia. Yes, you read that right! Tourist visas are needed for Australia! Traveler beware!

The amount of time I’ve taken to obsessively plan and make arrangements for this trip… from hotels, to itineraries, researching hours of operation for every single thing I’ll be visiting, and where to go and what to see… everything… has taken months. And I still, even up until last night found some mistakes! I caught not one, but two hotels I’d forgotten to cancel which would have amounted to about $250 in wasted money! I’d even forgotten that we weren’t flying home from Cairns and we didn’t have a flight from there to Sydney. Jeez Louise!

Anyhow, I’ve got 11 days left before we leave. I’m going to go ahead and post this now, so there is a place to post a few, like 5 or so, from each day. In the past with all of my other TR’s I’ve posted a Pre-TR then turned it into the regular one so it’s all in one place. I’ll stick with that since it’s worked well so far. However, a word of warning and a request for grace. I’m still trying to finish up my TR from my Italy/Greece trip a year and a half ago and am pretty focused on that as well as writing my LAST 2 papers for my program before I go. (The last 2 papers of my didactics/coursework before Clinical start). I have several things I want to do here on my 5th wheel as well if there is any time leftover, so my replies may be very delayed. I will absolutely do my very best to give this TR the attention it deserves but sometimes it may have to take a bit of a backseat until I return on March 22nd. But rest assured, I will 100% read all of your comments and notes and will try my very best to give you daily sneak peeks of the trip in real time.

I will also forewarn you that it will likely take me a year, quite possibly more (maybe even much more) to finish this report. I won't apologize; I have many other commitments that come first.

So, sit back, put another shrimp on the barby, toss back a cold one, and enjoy Steppe’s Awesome Asia-Australian Adventure!!

Attachments

• 1707462689107.jpeg
    1707462689107.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’m joining in! Sounds ambitious. I have been to Cairns and the rainforest. I snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef and it was amazing!
We started in Sydney and traveled up to Cairns hitting so many wonderful beach towns. I loved it.
Have a wonderful time!

Just wow! This sounds like a very awesome adventure! I love to do trip research/planning - sometimes it's as much fun as the trip itself. But this must have been a real challenge even for an experienced traveler like yourself. Nice to spend so much time with your DD. Can't wait to read all about it!

I’m joining in! Sounds ambitious. I have been to Cairns and the rainforest. I snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef and it was amazing!
We started in Sydney and traveled up to Cairns hitting so many wonderful beach towns. I loved it.
Have a wonderful time!
Hi Caroline! You're first and I am so pleased you're here! It's been a rough couple of years with school and I wish I could be more "here" and active. I have not forgotten that a ladies trip is in order someday. :)

This is such a wild trip! Honestly, it's really almost like 6 vacations in one because the places are so super different from each other- climate, animals, landscapes.... But first.... 2 more papers! EEK! Do you have any advice for the Daintree? Did you wear a stinger suit for your snorkeling?

Just wow! This sounds like a very awesome adventure! I love to do trip research/planning - sometimes it's as much fun as the trip itself. But this must have been a real challenge even for an experienced traveler like yourself. Nice to spend so much time with your DD. Can't wait to read all about it!
OH boy!! I'm so glad you're here!! It's wonderful to see longtime readers supporting me through this trip but also through school.

To be very honest, Anara and I have kinda tossed around the idea of putting together trips planned for whatever folks want and tailoring independently planned itineraries to suit tastes and desires of small groups. I enjoy the process and learning about each area as I do. But yes, this one was pretty tough and took sooooo long. There are sooooo many details, especially the timing of flights and ferries.

Can't wait to follow along. Back in 1991 I toured Australia, New Zealand and Fiji as part of a tour group. We too did Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, Alice Springs and Uluru (or Ayers Rock as it was known then). Back then your could climb the rock but I never made it past the first climb, but my sister and some of the other people made it to the top and signed the guest book. It was just a small group of 9 who traveled to Alice Springs as the rest stayed longer in Cairns and Brisbane.
We then stopped in Sydney and Brisbane before flying off to New Zealand and Fiji. We went for a Lion's convention so it was part of a tour group. We spent the longest time in Brisbane as that is where the Lion's International Convention was held.
I needed 2 country-specific visas, one for Indonesia, and one for Australia. Yes, you read that right! Tourist visas are now needed for Australia!
We needed Visas back in 1991 so I thought tourists always needed Visas.
Hope you and daughter have a great tour.

Can't wait to follow along. Back in 1991 I toured Australia, New Zealand and Fiji as part of a tour group. We too did Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, Alice Springs and Uluru (or Ayers Rock as it was known then). Back then your could climb the rock but I never made it past the first climb, but my sister and some of the other people made it to the top and signed the guest book. It was just a small group of 9 who traveled to Alice Springs as the rest stayed longer in Cairns and Brisbane.
We then stopped in Sydney and Brisbane before flying off to New Zealand and Fiji. We went for a Lion's convention so it was part of a tour group. We spent the longest time in Brisbane as that is where the Lion's International Convention was held.

We needed Visas back in 1991 so I thought tourists always needed Visas.
Hope you and daughter have a great tour.
That could definitely be true! I just really hadn't predicted that! LOL!

I'm sure it'll be wonderful with a few snafus along the way, which often make for fun TR'ing! :)

Oh my, I am so excited for you! Can't wait to read all about your adventures. Good luck with your last 2 papers!
Hi there, Summerlvr!!

I'm so glad you popped in to let me know you're reading! It'll be interesting to see what kind of trip this ends up being; It's almost like a 6 in 1 vacay!

All I can say is WOW! Happy travels and I look forward to "traveling" with you!
Well, hello there, oufpat! It's wonderful to have you here joining in!! I hope I can deliver some great photos and fun stories along the way. Today is a Round Day- 10 days left!

This is such a wild trip! Honestly, it's really almost like 6 vacations in one because the places are so super different from each other- climate, animals, landscapes.... But first.... 2 more papers! EEK! Do you have any advice for the Daintree? Did you wear a stinger suit for your snorkeling?
It really sounds amazing and adventurous I sure hope it it turns out to be everything you expected 👍

We did not wear stinger suits but we were with a group and snorkeled in areas where this would not be a problem. There were certain areas we could not go to on our journey because it was jellyfish time and the beaches and not safe. No stingrays up and close.
Daintree is amazing but a iittle scary with the crocodiles. We did a water cruise and a hike with guides! Something I will never see in the USA 🇺🇸 for sure!
when you are done with school and clinicals I would love to do a Disney cruise on the new Treasure! We should plan one!
it has been quite sometime since I got to visit and have a drink with you!

Hi there, Summerlvr!!

I'm so glad you popped in to let me know you're reading! It'll be interesting to see what kind of trip this ends up being; It's almost like a 6 in 1 vacay!
I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet when you were in Lexington. We just went up there the end of January for the first time since last March. Daughter just had baby #3, so we went to meet our new grandson!

It really sounds amazing and adventurous I sure hope it it turns out to be everything you expected 👍

We did not wear stinger suits but we were with a group and snorkeled in areas where this would not be a problem. There were certain areas we could not go to on our journey because it was jellyfish time and the beaches and not safe. No stingrays up and close.
Daintree is amazing but a iittle scary with the crocodiles. We did a water cruise and a hike with guides! Something I will never see in the USA 🇺🇸 for sure!
when you are done with school and clinicals I would love to do a Disney cruise on the new Treasure! We should plan one!
it has been quite sometime since I got to visit and have a drink with you!
Adventurous is a great word for it!

It'll be jellyfish season for sure for sure so we'll have to wear them. It's so weird to know there are vinegar stations on all the beaches! I sure hope we can see some crocs! I've taken tours in the Bayous of LA and it was super fun seeing the gators down there.

Yes, I agree, it'd be really nice doing some sort of trip together. We've been talking about it for years- maybe in the next year or so! :) Need to figure out my next job at some point too. I'd love to get a few of us ladies together and do some shenanigan-making.

I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet when you were in Lexington. We just went up there the end of January for the first time since last March. Daughter just had baby #3, so we went to meet our new grandson!
OH, I'd have LOVED that!!! If you're ever in KY again after May, do let me know!! How fun you got to meet another grandbaby; what a blessing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter