• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

26 years ago....addon posts, 12, 15, 22, 27, 31

Dan Murphy

We are family.
Today, 26 years ago, April 22, 1998, Earth Day, I was at Disney World, for the first time, by myself. Animal Kingdom opened that day, for the first time. I really didn't even know AK existed , nor MK, Epcot or MGM for that matter when I first arrived there at WDW. I was there for a business convention, with the S/D as the host resort.

Just kind of setting the picture a bit.....

My DW, Marie, had been diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer in January, 1998. In February, she had a lumpectomy and then started chemo in March. It was rough, a combination chemo cocktail of 3 different IV meds, one seemingly worse than the next. Marie had a chemo treatment every 2 weeks over a course of 4 months. That would be followed by a month 'off' and then radiation, 5 days a week for one month, presumably completing treatments by August..

I had an annual convention that always occurred in April. It moved locations each year, LA, NYC, Las Vegas, NOLA, etc. That year, Orlando. Spouses were always included. Marie had gone to most with me for maybe 15 years or so, but she was getting tired of the trips and some of the recent ones I had been going on solo. I told Marie that I would be skipping this year, staying home with her. Only reasonable and proper and right, right? Well, Marie would have none of that. She said I earned the trip and should go. I said no, that's fine, staying home. She said she would be fine, having a scheduled chemo treatment about 5 days before I would go, when she would be feeling generally okay by that day. And I would be back before the next treatment, trip being about 4 nights, 5 days. Well, by now you know who won that discussion. :hyper2:

So, I flew to MCO, got a rental car, drove to the S/D. With driving the car and taking the roads there at WDW, it was not really too unlike any other place with expressways and limited access highways, just prettier. I get to the resort, check in, very impressed. Several phone calls home, making sure Marie is doing okay, what with me a half a country away, UGH. Next day, some meetings, some meals, more phone calls. Marie is doing okay, she swears she is, tells me not to worry. I walk around the property, walk around in the hotels, Further impressed. Like, WOW! Some more calls. Relax, Dan, I'm doing okay, honest. So, now I think it is day 3, a day off. One of the other associates from work attending the convention tells me that he and his wife are going to the grand opening of Animal Kingdom. Okay, that's nice, no idea what that is, but have a good time.

Another phone call. All okay, So, I guess since I am at Disney World, I guess I should do something. I have absolutely no concept AT ALL of the layout of the place, none, zero, zip. I know Great America near us in Chicago, here's the parking, there are the rides.. When I had checked in, I was told there was a Disney desk over there. So, I went to the Disney desk. Can we help you? Sure. What do I do to see something Disney? Well, how much time do you have? One day. Okay, best to get a one day park ticket. Okay, sounds fine. $39.75. Ok, now what? The CM said the best would be to go out to the boat dock and take the boat over to MGM. Hmmm, sounds fun, sounds different. I do as was suggested. I take the boat to MGM. I have no idea about the existence of the other parks, resorts, anything. Well, sort of I 'knew' of AK, I guess.

I get off the boat and spend maybe 4 or 5 hours walking around MGM, doing a few attractions, eating some food here and there, and utterly AMAZED! I left and got back on a boat to head back to the S/D. I called Marie. She said she was doing okay. I was supposed to head home the day after next. I told her, I'm on a Disney boat, on a Disney waterway, have just left a an amazing, unreal Disney park, like nothing I've experienced before, heading to a Disney resort (well, sort of). This place is amazing. I heard there are even other places here. We HAVE to come here.

I'm getting a bit tired now, late here (for me, after 10 PM. I'll try to finish this tomorrow. :smickey:

PS: When I got back to the resort I did run into the couple who were going to AK's grand opening. I asked how that place was. He said that it was like a real neat zoo, big. :scratchin :rolleyes2 He said they rode this one ride, Countdown to Extinction (now Dinosaur) and that it was incredibly rough and realistic A few years later, the name was changed and the ride toned down some.

Good read. Back in those days you could sort of navigate Disney parks without a plan but good luck doing something like that today! Looking forward to the rest of the story, Dan!

I've relied on your advice for so long over on the Swan/Dolphin board, and getting to read your Disney history feels like the biggest privilege. Thank you, Dan, for sharing this with us; I can't wait for the second part!

My DD and I were there around the time of the opening. It was her spring break, so might have been a bit earlier. We went to AK soft opening for resort guests. Beautiful park.....and still is.
We rode Countdown, there was also a boat ride that went around the river there.

So nice to hear the story of your beginnings with the parks, Dan. And count myself among the lucky ones that have met you :love:

This place is amazing. I heard there are even other places here. We HAVE to come here.
I left this above in the OP. I was really amazed at this place where we had never been.

I returned home. Told Marie about the trip a little, said it was pretty amazing. And all I had done was drive from MCO to WDW, stay at a hotel, ride a boat and spend a few hours in an 'amusement park'.

Took Marie to her next chemo treatment. Chemo was over in June, so very draining., July was a month off from treatments, yeah!. Radiation started in mid-August, went for a month, 5 days a week, again, very draining. Marie had now completed her treatments, at last. And now we wait, hoping all goes well in the days and months ahead.

Over the years, we always had the same thoughts....Disney World? It's too far, it's just another amusement park, we have Great America 30 minutes from our house, it's too hot there, we heard it's too expensive, too crowded. The few families at church and the kids' school that seem to go every year, they must be nuts.

Anyway, I thought, that to celebrate Marie's hopeful remission, that we'd all go to Disney World, just like the Super Bowl MVP every year. I started my plan, not having an idea what I was doing. We were AAA members and I knew AAA advertised Disney World. So I went to the local AAA office that had a travel office and picked up a bunch of brochures and planning booklets. Did not want to deal with a TA, just wanted to read up on it. I learned about Value, Moderate and Deluxe. I learned about the seasons, value, regular and holiday. I learned about Length of Stay tickets.

Anyway, with both the kids, Natalie and Vince, still in school, time to go was slim. I figured Thanksgiving week would be great.( :scratchin not too sure about that now). I called Disney, made reservations at the Polynesian (wanted to go first class). Before I got off the phone with the reservation CM, she asked whether I wanted to make lunch/dinner reservations for Thanksgiving Day. She said it might be crowded. :) I said, oh yeah, good idea. I think I recall making the reservation at Alfredo's (now Tutto Italia) in Italy. Marie asked me a few times what all the stuff I was reading all the time (I am a reader). I just told her, oh nothing much of anything. I wanted to surprise her, thankfully she accepted my blasé answers.

Well, I think we are now like late October. She asks me again, what the heck am I always doing. Well, I tell her, in my best Terrell Davis MVP voice (Patrick Mahomes if today), We're going to Disney World! Following that, a thunk. Marie looked at me like I had 2 heads. No, make that 3 heads. :duck::confused3 She said, You want us to go to Disney World??? I can barely stand up, still recovering from my past 10 month ordeal! Looking back now, I certainly agree. I told Marie that I would cancel. I waited 2 days, asked her if she was sure it was a no go. Yes, a no go. I called Disney to cancel. I was talking to the CM, asked her to cancel. But, but, before she confirmed, I asked her if I could postpone, not cancel. I think said, yes, up to 15 months. I told the CM to postpone, not cancel. :scratchin

So, that brings us to the end of 1998, ending my first attempt to plan a Disney vacation. Geeesh, this Earth Day/AK opening day thread has turned into a quasi trip report. :surfweb: More to come.

spelling

Last edited:
Ok, moving on with this Earth Day diversion I started, ha.

So, end of 1998, Thanksgiving comes and goes, I'm wondering what our trip might have been like. Christmas, New Years, come and go. I know I have a postponed Disney trip in my back pocket. Marie assumes it's canceled. :ssst:

I kept up my reading and was starting to discover a myriad of Disney fan websites on the Net. Deb's Allears, Mary's Mousesavers, MousePlanet, Len's Touring Plans, Steve's WDW Entertainment. and any others I could find to educate myself on providing a really first class celebration of health of Marie, and that she couldn't refuse again. And then, I come across an interesting website, the Disney Information Station, or the DIS. I came by the DIS in maybe January or February, 1999. The DIS looked quite a bit different back then than it does now, much more difficult to read and follow along. It said that it was a discussion forum. All the other previously mentioned were just basically lots of information, no discussion. How the heck do you discuss something that you know nothing about. :confused3 Well, there were a lot of people, some still around here, many who are no longer around here. Some of the folks are here in this Old-timer thread that I have had in my signature for almost 20 years now. Some have left, some have passed on. One name was better than the next. At first, one did not have to register. But early on we then had to register. I first registered in March, 1999. Yikes, 25 years ago, just last month! I was not that creative picking my DIS name. My driver's license was out on the desk for some reason and it sounded good, easy for me to remember.

I took to reading the forums (not the CB at this early time), all of the trip planning forums, trying to educate myself. I could see that there was a certain amount, probably a lot, of planning that should go into a trip, especially a trip having never been there before. I learned that there was, in addition to the aforementioned MGM, a Magic Kingdom, Epcot and the brand new Animal Kingdom. Also a Downtown Disney. Wow, so much to learn. Resorts, parks, transportation, attractions, dining, ways to cut some costs, Disney 'lingo', etc., etc. I was up to the task though. I learned about the monorail, the buses, the boats. The quick meals, the table service meals, maybe eating in your room.. The various resorts, their amenities, their locations, their plusses and minuses. The various rides and attractions in the various parks, the many, many extra cost 'nice things' to do. And so much more. I tried to soak it all in, so much to learn.

As it turned out, I decided to stick with the Polynesian. And I learned that going the week of Thanksgiving was NOT the week to go since everybody else in the world was going there then also. The week AFTER Thanksgiving was one of the very best weeks to go, at least back then it was. So, I picked that week, like the Tuesday after Thanksgiving to the following Monday, 6 nights, 7 days. Again, without Marie knowing I was working surreptitiously, I plodded away on my project, learning, absorbing so much from these boards here and its many wonderful members. . One of the extremely helpful folks here, among the many, was a moderator, Bob Varley. He knew a lot, he shared a lot, even with a wet behind the ears newbie like me. Bob passed away in 2008, a thank you, Bob, rest your soul.

As said above, I selected the Polynesian. I was somewhat stunned with the prices, but wanted a memorable first time family visit. When I first called, my prior 'history notes' from 1998 were there in my 'file'. The first CM I talked to said, wow, you have a lot to celebrate. Replied, yes we do. I booked a standard view room, thinking that was a high price then (about $200 a night, now about $950), but, oh well, it's going to be nice. I was wanting a lagoon view room, but not wanting to pay almost 50% (about $300, now about $1,400) more for the view. I read here on the DIS about upgrades happening every so often. I think I became a bit of a PITA there at the reservations, calling every so often (pretty often really) to see what was available, an upgrade or a sale, trying to snag one of those lagoon view rooms, but not at the rack rate price.

On one of those many calls to Disney, I talked with a CM, Xenia. After a bit of small talk, she said, wow, you have quite a long history of calls here, let me take a moment to read the notes. After maybe a minute (and that's a long time to be waiting for the other person to read up on you), she asked me to hold on, she wanted to talk a bit with her (she had a name for that type of person, maybe navigator?) (I think the room reservation CM's had/have a special name also?). I said, okay. She came back after really several minutes. It was a long time. Xenia said hello again. I said hello. She said, Dan, you have your lagoon view. I replied, Really? What's the cost, how much more? She said, Dan, same price as your room you have now, no increase. She said Tinker Bell had just flown through and spread some pixie dust for me. I was literally speechless. Really, for a bit, speechless. And for the second time regarding something Disney (first time was calling Marie a few times from there the year before), I had tears, Disney tears I call them. :blush: Kind of have them again now.

Okay, that's it for tonight. All because it was Earth day yesterday, ha. Hope my spelling was okay.

She said Tinker Bell had just flown through and spread some pixie dust for me. I was literally speechless. Really, for a bit, speechless. And for the second time regarding something Disney (first time was calling Marie a few times from there the year before), I had tears, Disney tears I call them.
I'm not tearing up, you're tearing up. My eyes just itch. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter